Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
Statistics for 2010 season:
Launched June 10, hauled October 25 -- in the water for 137 days.
Underway for 47 days (averages to 1 day in 3)
Slept aboard the boat for 39 nights.
Total distance sailed, 1865 nautical miles (averages 40 miles per day underway).

Statistics for 2009:
Launched June 25, hauled October 16 -- in the water for 114 days.
Underway for 32 of those days (averages to a bit more than 1 day in 4).
Slept aboard the boat for 33 nights.
Total distance sailed, 924 nautical miles (averages to 29 miles per day underway).

Statistics for 2008:
Launched May 31, hauled October 26 -- days in the water 148.
Underway for 31 days (averages to 1 day in 5).
Slept aboard for 38 nights.
Total distance sailed, ~1000 nautical miles (averages to 32 nm per day underway).

My records may be imperfect, so these are really just close estimates...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 03-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
For me it's 60 to 70 trips a year, most of which are just day trips that last 10 to 12 hours. At least one, though, will be a week to 10 days long. All of this will change in 2012, when I head south for the winter and spend summers in Chesapeake Bay. The number of trips should go up dramatically--at least I hope that's the way things work out.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-22-2011

mikehradecky is on a distinguished road
Here in California, we sail year round. Except for this year, almost non-stop rainy weekends. I would say we average every other weekend. We live 2 1/2 hours from the boat, so fuel is getting expensive and we are sensitive to that. So trips are carefully planned around the best weather conditions.
Old 03-23-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
We live 2 miles away from the marina.
So we go out about every other day ( atleast sit in it ) or motor when there is no wind.
Old 03-23-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Not as much as I would like of course. Being up in the northern half, actually snowing 4-7 today, thought it was done, anyway... But, when the ice is finally gone in a couple weeks I (we) usually get out at least once a week, hopefully 2-3 times. Boats off the water end of September usually.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 03-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We will live aboard from Friday to Monday virtually every week she is in the water, which would be approx 100 days. We will be away from the dock for roughly half of them. We sail at least one day per weekend (usually both Sat and Sun and anchoring Sat night), with two to three consecutive weeks cruising. Probably 45 to 65 days, depending.

We make a serious effort from May to October to avoid any weekend commitments. If someone has a birthday or a party, we invite them to have it aboard. We hold every other weekend open so that our kids can join us if their schedule permits. Then we invite friends, colleagues, etc for the others. Seriously, the 2011 season has one open weekend prior to Labor Day at this point. It's like booking a resort, but we love it and is the reason we bought her. Post labor day is very relaxing, as we find its' just the two of us poking around without company and all the cruising grounds become abandon.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-23-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We live aboard but winterize(mast down, shrinkwrap) the boat from December to April. Otherwise we try to get out every weekend and 2 weeks in September. We also race on OPB Wednesdays June through October.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-23-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Every weekend (or at least we try)

With our last boat (C&C 24), we were at the dock every Friday afternoon. My wife can even take the commuter boat from Boston to our dock. We wouldn't leave until Sunday night. Most of the time we sailed during the day and then would stay at the slip at night. We did a week long cruise around Mass and a lot of long weekends of sailing 3-4 days in a row but coming back to our dock at night.

We consider it "stealing" from us when family or friends schedule something during the day on a weekend in May through September. My sister got married in June of last year and I almost didn't go, even though I was in the wedding.

I have a friend getting married this year and we got the invitation yesterday. The first thing my wife said was "at least it is at 5 PM and we can go out sailing first." (I love that woman )

This year we plan to live on the boat Thursday through Monday (new boat, Catalina 310, bigger and easier to get ready for work on). And maybe next year live on the boat full time for the summer.

But to the point from the OP

Quote:
Daysail, cruise whatever..just not tied to the dock!...The weather here in VA has been very fair the last couple of weeks and I have not seen a single boat coming or going from our marina(mostly sailboats).
As long as the wind is between 5 and 25 knots, we were out there. Below 5 knots, we would motor to a couple of good anchorages and just hang out on the boat. Above 25 knots and it became tough to get our boat back into the slip with the 6hp outboard that was probably a little under sized. (we used to joke with power boaters on the dock because they all had bigger motors on their inflatables then we had on our sailboat) Light rain, I would still go out. Heavy rain with lightening, I would stay at the dock.

We used to get so aggravated looking at all of the beautiful boats, especially the bluewater ones, sitting at the dock as we headed out. (Now I bought one of those boats that sat at the dock and realize there is an upside to them.) Or even worse, under power when it was great sailing weather.

There was this beautiful red, brand new (2009?) Janeau 54 DS that was in the slip across from us. It had every upgrade you could think of: bow thruster, electric winches, in-mast furler, etc. And the boat seemed to never be out sailing. One day we were out and it was perfect, 80F with winds at about 15-20 knots. We were having a blast out there sailing. Then here comes "Big Red" under power. Why spend all that money on a boat to not sail it. Oh well, it's his money. Maybe I can buy that boat in a couple of years.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 03-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I'll bet we get the same rap as Big Red every once in a while. We are 30 mins direct to open water with prevailing winds often coming up the Bay. We can either motor at 8 kts directly or tack for 90+ mins, then hoist the sails in open water. It can also get so crowded, that you tack as the give way vessel more than you might for navigation.

When we have guests aboard (most of the time) we want to get them wherever we are going in less than 4 hours, as a general rule. Sailing in and out of harbors is only for when my wife and I are playing or just relaxing in the Bay all day. Often, if I'm kidded about this, I ask whether they sailed to Martha's Vineyard and back this weekend. That could take the majority of daylight hours for many boats. Usually makes my point.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2011
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
As often as I can, although real life frequently intrudes. Thrice in a good week, as little as once in two if the deck isn't stacked in my favour.