Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Question How often do you sail?

Basically how often do you untie the lines and get out a sail? Daysail, cruise whatever..just not tied to the dock! I have owned my boat and had it in my possesion for 2 weeks or so and have been dying to get out and sail it. Our 5 day trip from Oriental was a great time...prolly one of the best for me so far, ever! I plan on heading out for a short sail on friday. The weather here in VA has been very fair the last couple of weeks and I have not seen a single boat coming or going from our marina(mostly sailboats). So I am wondering, how often do people get out there and actually use thier boats? When do you take it out? As long as there isn't a Gale and I have time I plan on heading out! I did not buy a sailboat for a conversation piece I bought it to sail...How about you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Reality is that most boats are unattended often for months at a time, certainly for weeks. Unless we have a family committment or the weather is absolutely horrid, we try and get down every weekend. Of late we've been doing a lot of electrical work on the old girl so havn't sailed for a month or so. Will rectify that situation this weekend I hope and after that should be back to weekends on board out sailing and anchoring out.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-22-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

During the season (May - November) I go sailing about once a week on average. I go away for a few weekend trips, and usually 1 week long trip. There will be weeks when I go out 2-3 time, and then the odd week when I won't get out at all.

I am fortunate in that my boat is about 15 minutes from my house. I also work from home, so there are days when I can get out for an hour or two during the week.

I also crew on a boat where we race once a week. I do the spring and summer series on that boat.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
36 or so weekends= 72 days + 3 week trip to NEngland or Rhode Island + maybe one more week trip so aproximently 100 days per year.

We are usually one of the first out on the spring ( we got out last weekend Sunday), and she doesnt get winterized till dec 15.

It is our home away from home as we are there every Friday through Sunday evening.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I've been out twice this week already. My frustration, is that I get out for day sails several times a week, but I'm not quite getting the long sails that I want.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-22-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Well, unfortunately we live and sail North of the Mason Dixon, so our season is approximately 6 months. In those 6 months we are on board every weekend Friday evening through Sunday evening; we also make at least one and possibly two 7 to 10 day cruises. There has to be a damned good reason for us not to be on the water and out sailing over the weekends.
Last year in our 6 months we logged 1450 nautical miles.
Basically we sail every available weekend day the boat is on the water.
Storms and weather play a role of course.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-22-2011

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
We sail year round out of Galesville MD. You're right, there was no one out on the bay last Saturday, the Saturday before, or the Sunday before that. The winds have been great (small craft warnings 15-30 knots) and we are a 37 ft 1967 S&S sloop rigged with a #2 or 3 with a single/double reef in the main. We were out Jan 1, a couple days in Feb and the last 3 weeks in March. There are many days in winter where the temp is high 40's low 50's. Of course, having grown up in Maine, you just have to dress properly to enjoy this season.

Here's an example from last year:

YouTube - Varsity Sailing

Moe
Old 03-22-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
We stopped counting a long time ago. I count any time that I'm on the boat as "boat time". Of course I like to sail, race, cruise or just motor around. But as long as water is somehow involved and I'm on something that floats, it's all good. I doesn't matter to me, but I don't count. I've notice that every season has it's own rhythms and as with life, each season is different. Sometimes I'm on the water more.. or less.

I strongly recommend against counting. We got into boating to get away from stresses, to connect with the outdoors, to feel the sun, rain, wind, and sweat. Counting water time violates that spirit on so many levels.

You're not seeing that many boats out yet because they're still on the hard. We won't go in for another 3 or 4 weeks. I'm fine with that; I like the sounds of spring, the sanders, the the polishers, the Travelift, ah.. spring.....

Last edited by Sabreman; 03-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
. The ice comes off the lake in late April [Winnpessauke. NH]. After that I Sail
two to three times per week until late October. We usually get good wind
most days off the White Mountains.
All sailing is "day sailing" on a Cape Dory22. The lake is 28 miles long by up
to 12 miles wide.
Old 03-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We get 75-80 days a year the bulk of which come in summer when we can get away for solid blocks of 6-8 weeks. We do sail year round, but find lately that other obligations and increasing reluctance to subject ourselves to cold and wet are limiting winter sailing days. Granddaughter and my wife's spring Dragon Boating schedule cut into our schedule a fair bit. Fortunately our club sponsors monthly weekend cruises March to October so that's our impetus to get out again despite the winter/spring doldrums.

Truth be told the best actual sailing conditions (wind-wise) around here are in winter.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)