SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   iPad Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/73019-ipad-navigation.html)

welove2sail 03-22-2011 10:44 PM

iPad Navigation
 
Does anyone know of any apps or third-party software available for the iPad for navigation? I have been using a Garmin however I always am looking for more useful tools for the iPad (have to justify the investment).

jackdale 03-22-2011 10:59 PM

Navionics charts are available through the app store.

I have them on an Android, but I would not use that as a principle mode of navigation.

I also have some weather apps that I like.

welove2sail 03-22-2011 11:05 PM

Thanks! What weather apps do you recommend? No this is more just for fun, we are not using it as a primary.

jackdale 03-22-2011 11:17 PM

Weathereye

Marine Traffic is an interesting AIS app.

Mobile versions of Passage Weather and Buoyweather

my900ss 03-23-2011 06:42 AM

I would be interested to know how you interface your GPS into the IPAD. I purchased a charts app from apple before I realized I do not have internal GPS on my Ipad...

Minnewaska 03-23-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my900ss (Post 711971)
I would be interested to know how you interface your GPS into the IPAD. I purchased a charts app from apple before I realized I do not have internal GPS on my Ipad...

Just add a USB GPS puck, nothing to it. $50 or so. I think they are considered more accurate than the internal GPS in the Ipad anyway.

night0wl 03-23-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 711972)
Just add a USB GPS puck, nothing to it. $50 or so. I think they are considered more accurate than the internal GPS in the Ipad anyway.

iPad does not have USB....so adding any ol' puck GPS is not possible.

There has been good feedback regarding the Bad Elph gps accessory. Pricey though at nearly $100

Minnewaska 03-23-2011 07:03 AM

Sorry about the USB. My Ipad hasn't arrived yet, but on its way. Anyway, a buddy does use his Ipad(ver1) with a GPS puck, I didn't realize it wasn't a USB connector, although, I just looked up that they make an adapter. I hadn't looked that closely at his.

night0wl 03-23-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 711977)
Sorry about the USB. My Ipad hasn't arrived yet, but on its way. Anyway, a buddy does use his Ipad(ver1) with a GPS puck, I didn't realize it wasn't a USB connector, although, I just looked up that they make an adapter. I hadn't looked that closely at his.

Are you talking about the Apple Camera Connection Kit ($29). If your friend is able to get a puck gps to work over the connection kit...*PLEASE SHARE DETAILS*....this would be a dream setup for me.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any GPS (other than the Bad Elf) that works directly with the proprietary apple connection (the really wide one).

Minnewaska 03-23-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night0wl (Post 712024)
Are you talking about the Apple Camera Connection Kit ($29). If your friend is able to get a puck gps to work over the connection kit...*PLEASE SHARE DETAILS*....this would be a dream setup for me.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any GPS (other than the Bad Elf) that works directly with the proprietary apple connection (the really wide one).

I will ask him and get back to you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012