Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
I have found the Tilley and Boony hats to be too hot and the floppy brims always blow down covering my eyes when gybing. I've cut out the top of the crown and replaced the fabric with fibreglass mosquito netting but they're still to damned hot. On the otherhand, they're not sweltering after the sun goes down but who needs a wide brimmed hat after dark.

A chinese "coolie" hat is cheap, cool, and an effective sun screen. Admitedly wearing the coolie hat does require a certain panache. Tie a bridle to two points on each side and connect the bridles with a strap under your chin a la a hockey helmet. The hat won't blow off or forward covering your eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Seems the Tilley gets more votes but damn I hate to spend that money on a hat.
What Allen said.....they're worth it! If you only knew what all my Tilley has been through over the 15 or so years I've owned it.....we become very attached to them and somewhat passionate when telling others about them.

Yep, they're expensive for a hat, but it's money well spent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 03-24-2011

doctorcam is on a distinguished road
Hooray for the Tilley hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I have a good old fashioned Tilley original....cotton duck....that has been all over the world with me. It gets the washing machine every so often, air dry with a stretch over my knee. They're a little expensive and not the best looking hats, but tough as nails and shade my whole head. I love my trusty old T2.
I've had mine for years, never washed it other than standing out in the rain - it still has its shape but is disreputable-looking. The part of the cord that loops under your chin (when you remember to do that, which in my case is after I've come about and fished it out of the salt chuck with a boat hook) actually really works quite well. Won't part with it.
Old 03-24-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Well, I suppose most of us would consider a Tilley at that price also. However that's about 30% of advertised prices, even from places selling them at a discount.
The price made me buy one. I would not hesitate to pay full price now. I wish I had bought one years ago. The money I would have saved from buying cheap hats would have more than paid for it.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-24-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

Doctor....toss that puppy in the wash....warm cycle with other clothes. Take it out, smooth it and shape it, and let it air dry. Once dry, use your knee to stretch it out. It's a good idea to was the sweat (salts) out of the cotton duck. I wash mine 3 times a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 03-24-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

Oh, and Tilley's are guaranteed for life! If anything happens to it, falls apart (unlikely) or whatever, send it back to Tilley and they'll send you a new one. That's almost as good as the Uncle Henry knife...if you lose it, tell them and they'll send you another one.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 03-24-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A tilley, a boonie, a kibutznik hat...one of the many cheap copies of tillies...You just have to decide how much protection you want, how much durability, and then tell the world to go helix itself, you're protecting you head.

The real tilley has a foam insert in the top,so it actually floats. And, a small pocket up in there, which is a handy place to keep a couple of bucks for the launch or bar. I bought mine with discounted dollars as a souvenir of Canada (eh?!) and have never regretted it. Holds its shape, wears well, and keeps me shaded. Doesn't pack up flat for traveling though.
Old 03-24-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
a vote for the boonie and hat over board drills
Old 03-24-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Doesn't pack up flat for traveling though.
Which one do you have? Mine smashes flat, rolls up....stuffs nicely.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 03-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I have two Tilley's -- great hats. One light with vents and the other an original canvas. I use safety pins to clip a bandana in that covers my neck. Looks geeky but works great. No one is going to see me but crew anyway and they ain't talking.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.