Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You need to review Anchor Watch.
Thanks for tip, I'll check it out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Anchor Watch here I come.
Old 11-07-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Wow, old thread.

Navionics works awesome for me on the ipad. Lat 38 recently referenced inavx and it looks like a good alternative. I think I paid $49 for Navionics and have been happy with it and the cost. Not sure what iNavx goes for. Either way, GPS works down below very well, I understand this thread is old so maybe that wasn't the case a year or so ago.
Old 11-27-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Whale Alert is free.
It tracks whales in the north eastern part of the USA and overlays their location on a NOAA Chart

No use me downloading the ap as I am in Florida.

I would love to have it and go spot whales!

It's designed for ships to use so the stop killin the little fat darlings

Just search for Whale Alert on ap store.
Old 12-05-2012

ethanjohn is on a distinguished road

iSailing is also a good iPhone app for sailing. This is a Weather application developed by WeatherOnline for the iOS. See reviews here: appfavour.com/weather/isailing_321091488/
Old 12-05-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Wow, the technology seems to be changing with increasing rapidly. I still like my Garmin plotter because of its durability and features but it looks like in the near future everything, including free charts, current data, AIS, navigation, land features, anchorages, points of interest, places to stay, eat, shop, etc. and weather will be at your fingertips on an iphone. I have a couple of computers I use for navigation as well as the Garmin unit. They may soon be replaced by an iphone.

Follow-up: After a little research it seems that these phone and pad devices do not have actual GPS capability. They gather second-hand signals from "hotspots" on shore via wi-fi. This does not sound reliable at all. I suppose you could input an external GPS puck-type receiver but then you'd lose the portability factor which is what makes the idea attractive. I have a GPS puck for one of my computers which works out pretty well but is not like the internal GPS in a plotter.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

jhorst1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post

Follow-up: After a little research it seems that these phone and pad devices do not have actual GPS capability. They gather second-hand signals from "hotspots" on shore via wi-fi. This does not sound reliable at all. I suppose you could input an external GPS puck-type receiver but then you'd lose the portability factor which is what makes the idea attractive. I have a GPS puck for one of my computers which works out pretty well but is not like the internal GPS in a plotter.
This is not true....Iphones can and are used with a great deal of accuracy far outside of cell phone towers

The iPhone does have a GPS receiver, and has since the iPhone 3G. And as pointed out, the iPhone also has A-GPS capability, which lets the GPS receiver determine its current location much faster than normal. Without A-GPS, the GPS receiver has to wait -- sometimes multiple minutes -- before it can determine its location, because it doesn't know where the satellites are. A-GPS allows the phone to download satellite almanac data over the cellular network, so the GPS receiver can immediately know where all the satellites are. A-GPS is not necessary, however, for GPS operation -- even if you have no cellular service, you can still use the GPS receiver in the iPhone.

What the iPhone does NOT have is WAAS capability. The GPS receiver works by measuring how long it takes for the radio signals to propagate between the satellites and the receiver. The propagation time varies based on the current density of the atmosphere between each satellite and the receiver. Because of the density flucuations, a standard GPS receiver can only get a fix that is accurate to about 10 meters. However, some geostationary satellites transmit atmospheric density information that lets GPS receivers compensate for current atmospheric conditions, and this enables accuracies in the neighborhood of about 1 meter. Garmin has had WAAS capable receivers for years, as have other hand-held and aviation-based GPS receivers, so it is a bit surprising that Apple has not incorporated WAAS into their GPS radio -- especially since WAAS density data can be downloaded via the Internet, eliminating the need for increased radio weight. I and others have submitted requests for a WAAS capable GPS receiver in the iPhone, but Apple has not delivered. Perhaps it is because WAAS is only available in North America. However, according to the specs for the iPhone 4S and 5, it now supports GLONASS, which provides near-WAAS accuracy when combined with standard GPS, and is available worldwide. At least that is the next best thing to WAAS.

I would recommend Garmin Blue Chart Mobile or Navionics....just download all charts prior to departure and you are good to go. It has been benchmarked next to true garmin chartplotters and is very accurate..also for a one time $3.99 you can overlay weather.

Last edited by jhorst1; 12-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

iPad 4G definitely has a propper GPS in it.

I bought mine in Beaufort North Carlonia and have had it on during the ocean passage to New York and down the ICW and never do I have wifi on or Cell phone on unless squawking on the Internet.

Absolutely guarantee it.

Mark
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

jhorst1 has it right. Current iphones have a real gps receiver and the delay in locating the satts is only on intial boot, otherwise, I've had them at tens of thousand of feet above the ground and they work incredibly well.

The Ipad, however, must be a 3G model to have a GPS receiver. This confuses many to think it has something to do with the wireless network, but it is only how they packaged the devices. If you do not have a receiver on you Ipad, you can get a bluetooth one that is about the size of four or five stacked credit cards. The also have one that plugs directly in the power port on the device. They work incredibly well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Wow, the technology seems to be changing with increasing rapidly. I still like my Garmin.....
Its not only proceeding quickly, I am beginning to wonder how Garmin will stay relevant.

On the newest software version of my Iphone, the resident road navigation app will now announce turn by turn directions just like a Garmin or Tom Tom (but for free). Further, you can ask Siri to find something for you and it will automatically load directions into the nav app and take you there.

I did exactly that to get to a business dinner with a colleague. I get in the passenger seat and he asks if I know how to get to a place we had been before. I only knew the name of it. I pressed the Siri button and simply said, "need directions to Austins". Siri replied that she had found an Austin's restaurant about x miles from here and did I want that one. I said yes, and turn by turn came right out. All were amazed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.