Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing - Page 5 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 12-05-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jhorst1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Its not only proceeding quickly, I am beginning to wonder how Garmin will stay relevant.
They are doing what I think is the best strategy...embracing it...They just released Garmin Blue Chart Mobile and it is steps above the Navionics app....Garmin is doing everything to make sure that their devices are working seamlessly with the new mobile "i" devices of the world thus stemming competitors from doing that same...with Garmins charts and services I think they will be around for quite some time IMO.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #42  
Old 12-05-2012
smurphny's Avatar
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 2,673
Thanks: 48
Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 6
smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Thanks. Can you post a link to a spec page that shows GPS and not just A-Gps. That was all I could find when looking at them. If they do have a GPS receiver like the Nuvi or chartplotters, I'd be very tempted to try one. Someone mentioned that the A-GPS was not reliable so I appreciate your info on that. My brother sailed with me for a few days last year and it was really handy using his iphone to locate things ashore. I have so far avoided getting on the iphone bandwagon but it may be time.

I agree that the way for Garmin to keep up is to go with this trend. I think proprietary mapping technology is quickly coming to an end and that soon chart data will become public information, as it should be. NOAA led the way on this by making all the US charts available in raster and ENF formats. Brazil, NZ also have free chart downloads. It's a safety issue above all. Governments should never have secreted publicly funded data to be used for profit. I wonder when the Admiralty charts will also become public information?
__________________
Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #43  
Old 12-05-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jhorst1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Thanks. Can you post a link to a spec page that shows GPS and not just A-Gps. That was all I could find when looking at them. If they do have a GPS receiver like the Nuvi or chartplotters, I'd be very tempted to try one. Someone mentioned that the A-GPS was not reliable so I appreciate your info on that. My brother sailed with me for a few days last year and it was really handy using his iphone to locate things ashore. I have so far avoided getting on the iphone bandwagon but it may be time.

I agree that the way for Garmin to keep up is to go with this trend. I think proprietary mapping technology is quickly coming to an end and that soon chart data will become public information, as it should be. NOAA led the way on this by making all the US charts available in raster and ENF formats. Brazil, NZ also have free chart downloads. It's a safety issue above all. Governments should never have secreted publicly funded data to be used for profit. I wonder when the Admiralty charts will also become public information?
I dont have a direct link...Apple itself doesnt go into great detail other then to blurt out info on A-gps and Glonass...just know that the GPS can be assisted (A GPS) but also stands alone...I have personally used it in the Bahamas (iphone 4s)..cell and wifi off (also not available), garmin chartplotter by my side...works like a charm...here is a video that I found on youtube ( not me) but an example (using the Navionics app).

I suspect that since most regular apps are streaming data and maps as opposed to downloading them to the device like these marine and aviation apps do that Apple doesnt speak much of its stand alone capabilities because without downloaded maps (that most people do not have) it wont show you where you are as the program that is native to the iphone is a streaming nav app ( you have to purchase the maps for it to stand alone and then it is no problem)....As stated before...the only thing that the GPS does when not able to use AGPS is take a minute on initial startup to locate the satellites as it does not keep a satellie location almanac stored on the phone...the wait is small and you probably wouldnt notice (not worse then any other hand held unit)but it is worth noting.

Last edited by jhorst1; 12-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #44  
Old 12-05-2012
smurphny's Avatar
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 2,673
Thanks: 48
Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 6
smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

I obviously need to do more research on this. I did not realize that the charts were not stored on the device but streamed. That sounds iffy at best.
No signal=no chart. So out of cell range or in weak signal places they would be essentially useless. Dropping your phone call is one thing, dropping your plotter is quite another. Great info., thanks.
__________________
Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #45  
Old 12-05-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jhorst1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I obviously need to do more research on this. I did not realize that the charts were not stored on the device but streamed. That sounds iffy at best.
No signal=no chart. So out of cell range or in weak signal places they would be essentially useless. Dropping your phone call is one thing, dropping your plotter is quite another. Great info., thanks.
No...they are stored on the device ( you have to purchase the maps)...it is a stand alone unit as long as you download the charts...no cell or wifi is ever needed! To be clear, download Navionics app and maps or garmin blue charts mobile app and maps...works just like a $7,000 chartplotter etc....please read my above post and watch the video, do you think there is wifi out there or cell service..NO....honestly this is the best deal running and in a year or so I think it will all but put small handhelds out of business. Use it, you will be amazed..you need a phone and $50 for the maps

Last edited by jhorst1; 12-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #46  
Old 12-05-2012
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,978
Thanks: 25
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 4
MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I obviously need to do more research on this. I did not realize that the charts were not stored on the device but streamed. That sounds iffy at best.
No signal=no chart. So out of cell range or in weak signal places they would be essentially useless. Dropping your phone call is one thing, dropping your plotter is quite another. Great info., thanks.
You are being led astray by bullsh!t.

The iPad works properly, it's not a rip off. The GPS works in the MIDDLE of the ocean as do the charts. You do NOT need to be connected to the web, cell phone or near a tower for the GPS or Charts.

You really need to sit with someone who knows what they are talking about and have a look at one. If you are anywhere near me please feel free to come look.
I am in St Augustine, Florida. And I'm sure any person near you would do the same.
__________________
Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #47  
Old 12-05-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jhorst1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
You are being led astray by bullsh!t.

The iPad works properly, it's not a rip off. The GPS works in the MIDDLE of the ocean as do the charts. You do NOT need to be connected to the web, cell phone or near a tower for the GPS or Charts.

You really need to sit with someone who knows what they are talking about and have a look at one. If you are anywhere near me please feel free to come look.
I am in St Augustine, Florida. And I'm sure any person near you would do the same.
Obviously not....read above I told him the correct information..he read it incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #48  
Old 12-05-2012
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,978
Thanks: 25
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 4
MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorst1 View Post
Obviously not....read above I told him the correct information..he read it incorrectly.
Ok, no worries, sorry, i didnt mean to offend. I didn't read the pervious posts, just his.

I am amazed that iPad has now been around for years but people still don't believe what it does.
Apple dont make it easy. I hate the company and their attitude to people. Thinking that all their clients are morons except for their pretty boy geeks.
__________________
Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #49  
Old 12-05-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jhorst1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Ok, no worries, sorry, i didnt mean to offend. I didn't read the pervious posts, just his.

I am amazed that iPad has now been around for years but people still don't believe what it does.
Apple dont make it easy. I hate the company and their attitude to people. Thinking that all their clients are morons except for their pretty boy geeks.
Agreed, I am amazed by how many boat people dont know what they can use their device for..although Apple hasnt helped much in that capacity....I actually get frustrated because I have had (and others I know that have used an i product and marine charts) great results but people continue to not beleive that it can be done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #50  
Old 12-05-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chesapeake Bay Area, MD
Posts: 53
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
eSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

question - if I buy a new iPad with Retina display, do I NEED to buy the wifi+cellular version (which is more $$) in order to use the GPS and charts?

I am currently a droid user and used MX Mariner in the bay and it worked great. The only thing I do not like is the small display on the phone. The wife wants an iPad for x-mas and it would be great to use it on the boat as well.

thanks,
__________________
2001 Catalina 310
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone/iPad Weather Apps SwimmingPool Apps & Authors 10 08-29-2013 06:32 PM
iPhone navigation apps. fordo Apps & Authors 17 02-18-2013 01:41 AM
Looking for someone who can write Androd/iPhone apps Bene505 General Discussion (sailing related) 1 11-20-2010 11:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.