Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSailor View Post
question - if I buy a new iPad with Retina display, do I NEED to buy the wifi+cellular version (which is more $$) in order to use the GPS and charts?

thanks,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

dmchose is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dmchose Send a message via Skype™ to dmchose

" YES " and MORE: If you want a stand alone iPad ( GPS ) then you will need to purchase the wifi+cellular. You do not need to have a contract for the cellular, just do not use it and wifi to your hearts content. This version has a built in GPS reciever. The Wifi only version does not. You can however purchase a 3rd party GPS reciever for iPads 1-3. I do not believe that there is an updated version for the input on the 4th version yet. iphones have the GPS reciever built in already.
Don
Old 12-05-2012

eSailor is on a distinguished road

thanks. I guess if I am going to spend the money on an iPad, might as well get one that will be useful for me on the boat for navigation :-)
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSailor View Post
thanks. I guess if I am going to spend the money on an iPad, might as well get one that will be useful for me on the boat for navigation :-)
Or, as I posted above, you can just buy a bluetooth gps receiver, which is about the size of a few stacked credit cards, or the model you just plug into the bottom of the ipad. About $100, so its much cheaper than the 3G model upgrade. However, I highly recommend the 3G model for internet access, even if you don't get the service now. If you don't, there is no add on to fix that down the road, if you change your mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-06-2012

jhorst1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Or, as I posted above, you can just buy a bluetooth gps receiver, which is about the size of a few stacked credit cards, or the model you just plug into the bottom of the ipad. About $100, so its much cheaper than the 3G model upgrade. However, I highly recommend the 3G model for internet access, even if you don't get the service now. If you don't, there is no add on to fix that down the road, if you change your mind.
I agree...sprulge for the 3g with built in capability rather then an add on.
Old 12-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
You are being led astray by bullsh!t.

The iPad works properly, it's not a rip off. The GPS works in the MIDDLE of the ocean as do the charts. You do NOT need to be connected to the web, cell phone or near a tower for the GPS or Charts.

You really need to sit with someone who knows what they are talking about and have a look at one. If you are anywhere near me please feel free to come look.
I am in St Augustine, Florida. And I'm sure any person near you would do the same.
Exactly. I'd like to actually see one in action. My brother is into these ithings. He is never more than inches away from his iphone and it's difficult sometimes to get his attention I'll get him to load the app so I can see for myself. All the talk about external GPS receivers really negates the whole idea of having one of these. I have a little Dell Mini and a Toughbook with nav software (Sailcruiser). They both use and external GPS puck but it's a PITA dragging the puck and wire around. My fav device is a little Garmin 376C but I absolutely refuse to get ripped off for Garmin charts at the ridiculous prices they want. Here's a question for you: why are the charts so cheap for the i application?
Old 12-06-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
you can just buy a bluetooth gps receiver, which is about the size of a few stacked credit cards, or the model you just plug into the bottom of the ipad. About $100, so its much cheaper than the 3G model upgrade. .
Why did you need to say this just when there was a bit of clarity coming into the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
All the talk about external GPS receivers really negates the whole idea of having one of these. ?
Just stick with your PC. You understand them.

PC charting programs are much better anyway because the mouse lets you scroll and zoom quickly. IPad doesn't.
Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
Exactly. I'd like to actually see one in action. My brother is into these ithings. He is never more than inches away from his iphone and it's difficult sometimes to get his attention I'll get him to load the app so I can see for myself. All the talk about external GPS receivers really negates the whole idea of having one of these. I have a little Dell Mini and a Toughbook with nav software (Sailcruiser). They both use and external GPS puck but it's a PITA dragging the puck and wire around. My fav device is a little Garmin 376C but I absolutely refuse to get ripped off for Garmin charts at the ridiculous prices they want. Here's a question for you: why are the charts so cheap for the i application?
As long as you get a 3G model you wont need an external puck of any kind....as for the price, they need to be competitive...Garmins pricing is a bit higher then then Navionics, but it also seems to offer more content and the highest level charts Garmin has ( the charts on Garmin are much nicer then that of Navionics)...Garmin doesnt want to price itself out of the i market, because I suspect they figure this is being used as a back up or first navi device for some, if you get used to the garmin on ipad/iphone and wish to step up to a nicer system on your boat odds are you will probably step up to a garmin unit....I also think that if they are looking to be/remain the market leader then if they are competitive it will limit the foot hold of competition in the entry market.
* I know I keep speaking of Garmin and Navionics..I am sure there are some others out there, however I have experience with both so I only talk about them. Until about a week ago I would say Navionics was eating Garmins lunch for them, now Garmin released blue chart mobile with weather overlay and much better charts I would give the clear edge to Garmin,YMMV.

Last edited by jhorst1; 12-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The Sailcruiser program will plot polars and do lots of things that I'm sure an iphone app is not capable of....yet. Screen size, of course is an issue with the small area that can be viewed as it is on my little 376C. This IS interesting technology and might be good for backup purposes. A small hand-held, waterproof, battery powered GPS is probably a lot more practical on a boat for backup and also to throw in a ditch bag and survive. The salt water durability of iphones is, I'm sure, not up to the task unless you're extremely careful. My Dell mini fits right into a large freezer bag but it's also designed primarily for indoor use. I do not trust that at some point it will not succumb to the marine environment. The Toughbook is exactly that.. tough as hell, but it uses more power than I'd like, having solar panels for my primary power source.
Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
The Sailcruiser program will plot polars and do lots of things that I'm sure an iphone app is not capable of....yet. Screen size, of course is an issue with the small area that can be viewed as it is on my little 376C. This IS interesting technology and might be good for backup purposes. A small hand-held, waterproof, battery powered GPS is probably a lot more practical on a boat for backup and also to throw in a ditch bag and survive. The salt water durability of iphones is, I'm sure, not up to the task unless you're extremely careful. My Dell mini fits right into a large freezer bag but it's also designed primarily for indoor use. I do not trust that at some point it will not succumb to the marine environment. The Toughbook is exactly that.. tough as hell, but it uses more power than I'd like, having solar panels for my primary power source.
Buy an otterbox for your phone or same type of case for your ipad...completey waterproof, drop proof etc...well as proof as proof can be.
This solution (ipad/iphone as a chartplotter) certainly is a cure all, but for coastal sailors/boaters its fits the bill.