SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/73064-best-iphone-ipad-apps-sailing.html)

YeahJohn 03-24-2011 12:26 PM

Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Whats apps are you guys using on your boats and for sail plan? I know there is always someone asking questions about navigation etc. with these devices but it would be cool to compile a list of great sailing apps from navigation to weather and everything in between. List your favorites and why you like them.

SVAuspicious 03-27-2011 08:19 AM

Charts & Tides - good deal and includes complete ActiveCaptain database with off-line access for offshore!

sealover 03-27-2011 09:37 AM

I agree with Charts and Tides. I didn't realize the wi-fi iPad doesn't have GPS so it's not as useful for me on the water. The Navionics app for droid is excellent, and a bargain at $10. There's also a droid app called "currents" which elegantly shows you a map of a body of water with arrows indicating the projected current strength and direction at any given time. (longer arrows = stronger current). I have not been able to find anything as simple as that for iPad. And it's free.

Loving my iPad as a home computer I keep on the coffee table, but will be leaving it there for sailing and using my droid phone for chart plotting and a backup for GPS on the boat.

JBIZZ 03-27-2011 09:56 AM

Navionics, Anchor alarm, Tide App, Windbuoy, Surf Guru & Radar. I also have Weather Undergrounds marine forecast for my area saved as a link on my home screen.

Minnewaska 03-27-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBIZZ (Post 713402)
Navionics, Anchor alarm, Tide App, Windbuoy, Surf Guru & Radar. I also have Weather Undergrounds marine forecast for my area saved as a link on my home screen.

Are these all separate apps? I'm interested, as my Ipad2 is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Never bought the first version.

JBIZZ 03-27-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 713408)
Are these all separate apps? I'm interested, as my Ipad2 is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Never bought the first version.

Yes, these are separate apps. The Weather Underground looks like an app but is just a link to their website for my local marine forecast. Navionics and The anchor alarm don't need the internet to operate. I've tried InavX also but prefer Navionics. I believe one needs the 3G devices for GPS functionality but I think they make an external GPS antenna also.

Minnewaska 03-27-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBIZZ (Post 713411)
Yes, these are separate apps. The Weather Underground looks like an app but is just a link to their website for my local marine forecast. Navionics and The anchor alarm don't need the internet to operate. I've tried InavX also but prefer Navionics. I believe one needs the 3G devices for GPS functionality but I think they make an external GPS antenna also.

Thanks. There is a remote bluetooth GPS device for the Ipad, so no cables. Even with the 3G unit, I suspect it won't connect with the satellites when down below. If I'm right, one will need the remote GPS receiver to get the anchor alarm to work when below.

I did order the 3G unit so I could have that internet access, when no wi-fi is available. However, it seems one could save the extra cost of the Ipad and invest it in the remote GPS if that was the sole reason for wanting it.

jackdale 03-27-2011 12:46 PM

On an Android phone.

Weathereye. Marine Traffic. Navionics (I actually a paper chart guy, but this is an interesting toy. It does have the phone numbers for marinas, etc..)

Mobile versions of Buoy Weather and Passage Weather.

scotfree46 05-03-2011 07:04 PM

Is there an app for the Ipad2 for radar? Has anyone used this?

sealover 05-03-2011 07:16 PM

Weatherbug app (for Droid and iPad) has weather radar, but it's for "civilian" weather. Should be helpful when in a bay or near land. You can also animate the radar so you can see which way a line of thunderstorms is moving. For Droid (and presumably 3g iPads) it knows where you are and shows you as a little pinpoint on a map. It's also a very good, useful app for use at home.