Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Whats apps are you guys using on your boats and for sail plan? I know there is always someone asking questions about navigation etc. with these devices but it would be cool to compile a list of great sailing apps from navigation to weather and everything in between. List your favorites and why you like them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Charts & Tides - good deal and includes complete ActiveCaptain database with off-line access for offshore!
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2011

sealover is on a distinguished road
I agree with Charts and Tides. I didn't realize the wi-fi iPad doesn't have GPS so it's not as useful for me on the water. The Navionics app for droid is excellent, and a bargain at $10. There's also a droid app called "currents" which elegantly shows you a map of a body of water with arrows indicating the projected current strength and direction at any given time. (longer arrows = stronger current). I have not been able to find anything as simple as that for iPad. And it's free.

Loving my iPad as a home computer I keep on the coffee table, but will be leaving it there for sailing and using my droid phone for chart plotting and a backup for GPS on the boat.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 03-27-2011

JBIZZ is on a distinguished road
Navionics, Anchor alarm, Tide App, Windbuoy, Surf Guru & Radar. I also have Weather Undergrounds marine forecast for my area saved as a link on my home screen.
Old 03-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
Navionics, Anchor alarm, Tide App, Windbuoy, Surf Guru & Radar. I also have Weather Undergrounds marine forecast for my area saved as a link on my home screen.
Are these all separate apps? I'm interested, as my Ipad2 is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Never bought the first version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-27-2011

JBIZZ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Are these all separate apps? I'm interested, as my Ipad2 is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Never bought the first version.
Yes, these are separate apps. The Weather Underground looks like an app but is just a link to their website for my local marine forecast. Navionics and The anchor alarm don't need the internet to operate. I've tried InavX also but prefer Navionics. I believe one needs the 3G devices for GPS functionality but I think they make an external GPS antenna also.
Old 03-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
Yes, these are separate apps. The Weather Underground looks like an app but is just a link to their website for my local marine forecast. Navionics and The anchor alarm don't need the internet to operate. I've tried InavX also but prefer Navionics. I believe one needs the 3G devices for GPS functionality but I think they make an external GPS antenna also.
Thanks. There is a remote bluetooth GPS device for the Ipad, so no cables. Even with the 3G unit, I suspect it won't connect with the satellites when down below. If I'm right, one will need the remote GPS receiver to get the anchor alarm to work when below.

I did order the 3G unit so I could have that internet access, when no wi-fi is available. However, it seems one could save the extra cost of the Ipad and invest it in the remote GPS if that was the sole reason for wanting it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-27-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
On an Android phone.

Weathereye. Marine Traffic. Navionics (I actually a paper chart guy, but this is an interesting toy. It does have the phone numbers for marinas, etc..)

Mobile versions of Buoy Weather and Passage Weather.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-03-2011

scotfree46 is on a distinguished road
Is there an app for the Ipad2 for radar? Has anyone used this?
Old 05-03-2011

sealover is on a distinguished road
Weatherbug app (for Droid and iPad) has weather radar, but it's for "civilian" weather. Should be helpful when in a bay or near land. You can also animate the radar so you can see which way a line of thunderstorms is moving. For Droid (and presumably 3g iPads) it knows where you are and shows you as a little pinpoint on a map. It's also a very good, useful app for use at home.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake