How does $50 plus shipping hit you? After I finished writing the notes below I tried a search at Capitol Hill Books and has some success. Check out this search results page
. Their search checks some sort of used book network I had not realized existed. Before you decide to order, be sure to note where the seller is located! I'm sure you don't want to pay shipping from Australia or New Zealand.
Vagabonding Under Sail
? Tom Mays is right. Amazon is always your best bet when buying new. They even handle Publish On Demand (POD) books. Since they have an entry in their database but no stock, you are SOL with them and are unlikely to find it new anywhere else but the source you have already rejected.
Have you considered used books? I'm sure finding it will be a challenge since it is such a specialized book and will have had few sales, but it could be worth the effort. Were I in your shoes I'd check with local used book stores in sailing towns. Also check used book stores in NYC since the city seems to have everything.
Used book store stock turns over fast and they can't keep it on line, but they are only a phone call away and they'll walk the shelves for you. Some offer enough service that they might be willing to call around on your behalf or even watch for it and call you if it shows up. I have not checked any of these stores on your behalf (after all you are the one that wants the book, not me :-)) but here's a list of stores you might want to call:
Washington D.C. Metro/N. VA area
C&W Used Books, Chantilly VA
They have good prices but only a so-so stock. My luck with them has been hit or miss.
Richard McKay Used Books
- 703-361-9042 - Located in Mannassas, VA, these folks are my absolute favorites - they ROCK! Their prices are good and their stock is huge.
Second Story Books
- Call Jonathan at (301) 770-0477 ext. 14 - This is a great place! I could get lost in there for days if I let myself go. I have not looked for sailing books there, but they have a great selection of science, tech, and science fiction works.
Capitol Hill Books
- (202) 544-1621 - I've never used them but I have heard good things about them.
- 410-263-4880 - I don't know if they have books but they surely have everything else! Their prices are great. They are always my first stop for anything when they are open.
Annapolis Book Store
- 410-280-2339 - These folks specialize in Maritime subjects. This is your most likely source.
- 410- 721-8539 - I have never been in it and don't know anything about them, but other folks I know like them.
Back Creek Books
- 410-626-1363 - These folks can look for it on your behalf and will put it on their Wants List if you so desire.
This is enough to give you the flavor. I'd recommend using Google Maps
with a search string such as: used book stores near New York, New York
Good luck with your search!