Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Vagabonding under sail

Is there a way to get this book from Bill Crealock without having to pay $100 plus?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
vagabonding under sail book - Google Search

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
How does $50 plus shipping hit you? After I finished writing the notes below I tried a search at Capitol Hill Books and has some success. Check out this search results page. Their search checks some sort of used book network I had not realized existed. Before you decide to order, be sure to note where the seller is located! I'm sure you don't want to pay shipping from Australia or New Zealand.

Regards,

Tom

===============================================

Vagabonding Under Sail? Tom Mays is right. Amazon is always your best bet when buying new. They even handle Publish On Demand (POD) books. Since they have an entry in their database but no stock, you are SOL with them and are unlikely to find it new anywhere else but the source you have already rejected.

Have you considered used books? I'm sure finding it will be a challenge since it is such a specialized book and will have had few sales, but it could be worth the effort. Were I in your shoes I'd check with local used book stores in sailing towns. Also check used book stores in NYC since the city seems to have everything.

Used book store stock turns over fast and they can't keep it on line, but they are only a phone call away and they'll walk the shelves for you. Some offer enough service that they might be willing to call around on your behalf or even watch for it and call you if it shows up. I have not checked any of these stores on your behalf (after all you are the one that wants the book, not me :-)) but here's a list of stores you might want to call:

Washington D.C. Metro/N. VA area

C&W Used Books, Chantilly VA They have good prices but only a so-so stock. My luck with them has been hit or miss.

Richard McKay Used Books - 703-361-9042 - Located in Mannassas, VA, these folks are my absolute favorites - they ROCK! Their prices are good and their stock is huge.

Second Story Books - Call Jonathan at (301) 770-0477 ext. 14 - This is a great place! I could get lost in there for days if I let myself go. I have not looked for sailing books there, but they have a great selection of science, tech, and science fiction works.

Capitol Hill Books - (202) 544-1621 - I've never used them but I have heard good things about them.

Annapolis, MD

Bacon Sails - 410-263-4880 - I don't know if they have books but they surely have everything else! Their prices are great. They are always my first stop for anything when they are open.

Annapolis Book Store - 410-280-2339 - These folks specialize in Maritime subjects. This is your most likely source.

ReReads - 410- 721-8539 - I have never been in it and don't know anything about them, but other folks I know like them.

Back Creek Books - 410-626-1363 - These folks can look for it on your behalf and will put it on their Wants List if you so desire.

This is enough to give you the flavor. I'd recommend using Google Maps with a search string such as: used book stores near New York, New York

Good luck with your search!

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 03-27-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I use Alibris to order second hand books from the US into Australia. Admittedly the shipping costs are usually several times higher than the books themselves but it is still well worth it. Service, reliability etc has never been a problem. Alibris do have their own stores I believe but act as agent for may others.

They currently have two copies of VUS one for over $200.00 !! but the other is around $70.00.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett