Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
You don't need to epoxy a plug in place, just pound a 1/2" wooden bung into the hole. It only needs to remain in place long enough for the "guide bit" in the hole saw to guide the saw teeth down to the hull.

Once the hole saw grinds even a slight depression into the hull, the wooden bung can be removed. A friend of mine just did this for an engine seacock.

I do hear you on the lack of time and the cold temperatures. Sucks, that.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
That's excessive. I would definitely do it myself if that were the only other option. The epoxy plug is going to add what, an hour to your time lost if you do it yourself?

I can understand the time=money and hostage to weather conditions factors, but $1380 is a lot of 'time well-spent' money.
Old 03-25-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
another way to redrill the hole is to, glue a thin piece of ply over the hole. then drill thru the plywood, which will guide the new larger holesaw. the hole saw guide bit will hold it until the bigger hole is into the ply. a good glue for this is a good old fashioned hot glue gun.

in my opinion trying to put a plug into a hole saw is risky, if it comes out the hole saw can go running across the surface. driving in a tapered plug and drilling using the plug to guide the bit is better, but the ply method is easy and safe.
Old 03-25-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
forget plugs- use a 1/4" to 3/4" step- drill bit.

Amazon.com: Neiko 3-Piece Titanium Step Drill Bits Set M2 Steel - 28 Sizes, SAE: Home Improvement

16 hours- Neptune's nads, were they watching the epoxy dry and counting it as labour time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
another way to redrill the hole is to, glue a thin piece of ply over the hole. then drill thru the plywood, which will guide the new larger holesaw. the hole saw guide bit will hold it until the bigger hole is into the ply. a good glue for this is a good old fashioned hot glue gun.

in my opinion trying to put a plug into a hole saw is risky, if it comes out the hole saw can go running across the surface. driving in a tapered plug and drilling using the plug to guide the bit is better, but the ply method is easy and safe.
Ah, I did not say to put the plug in the hole saw, I meant for him to drive it into the hull as you said. Something got lost in translation.

bljones has the best solution- the stepped drill bit. I didn't know they made them that big!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-25-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
DrB, which yard quoted you this price?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-25-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
will the Stepped Drill chip the coat on the out side?
get a 1/2 in hole saw and make a 1/2 guide to then place on the 3/4 hole saw to make sure your on center, then follow the steps needed to install the new thru hull, Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com in the link all the info and photos Belong to MaineSail and i have not rights to them i am just linking his how to reports.
Old 03-25-2011

DrB will become famous soon enough
Not going to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
DrB, which yard quoted you this price?
I like the guys in the yard and they also have my boat. They have FG guy that does great work.

Like I said if they would have come in about 1/2 of what they quoted, I would have bit. They may be flat out for work and just put this out there to see if I would bite. Some folks would. If I was flat out, I certainly wouldn't aggressively bid something.

I will go back to them and ask them to sharpen they're pencils, but in the end I will probably end up doing it myself.

Thanks all for the great advice and sanity check.

DrB
Old 03-25-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Good GAWD. Buy a Dremel tool with the various rotary attachments and enlarge it yourself. It might take an hour. Buy a small tube of 3m5200 from Ace Hardware and seat the thru hull. Job done in a couple hours.
What does weather have to do with this? You can work in the rain with a battery operated dremel or battery operated drill. Buy a few feet of #10 tinned wire for bonding the thru hull to your engine too. You will need a pack of Ancor tinned crimp eyelets and a crimper. You need the crimper in your tool box anyway.
Old 03-25-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
One other thing, the old thru hull prob has a wooden backing plate thru which you will need to enlarge the hole with a rotary rasp. When you do, get some 5 minute epoxy to spread on the now exposed wood in the hole to seal it.