Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
read this Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com if your looking to do the work your self this might be something you want to look into

The Link Above contains Photos and information that belongs to MaineSail, i am just linking his work.

p.s. thanks MS for the work and the info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
For that matter, just hire MaineSail to do it for you. I am sure he is more reasonable than your yard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-25-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Another option with the hole saw is to drill a hole the right size in a piece of 1 foot square plywood, and have a helper hold that 'guide' centered over the original hole.. then simply insert the hole saw and start the cut. Once the hole saw has seriously started you don't need the center guide anyway. This avoids having to "plug" the original hole at all.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-25-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
My vote is for Boasun's suggestion. It's really simple and I've used the same method dozens of times (not all on thru hulls of course). Just thread the 1/2" hole saw inside the 3/4" hole saw. Drill away. There's no need for plywood or plugs. The 1/2" hole saw will be a perfect guide.
Old 03-25-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Awesome suggestion SailingWebGuy.
Old 03-25-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Well, you could go back to the yard and pitch them the job for $700. If they don't have any work on the table, they'd probably take it. But I'd still vote for doing the job yourself. Then you'll have the tools and knowhow to do it again in the future.
Old 03-25-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Actually, it may or may not work because they're pretty close in size. The 1/2" might not fit inside the 3/4". And the center piece (not sure of the correct terminology for it) might not have enough thread to fit both. I have a Milwaukee hole saw kit and just checked. 1/2" and 3/4" won't work. Maybe other brands are different.
Old 03-25-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
What sort of a labour rate would that be then because I did a hole enlargement in my own boat from start to finish (not counting removal of the old fitting which the OP has already done) in less than an hour.

On this application the wooden bung is the best fix because it doesn't even matter if the new hole is centred on the old one, just so long as the hole saw cuts through virgin hull surface.

This is a simple, basic DIY job. The price the OP was quoted is outrageous and any acceptance of such a price is the reason why all boaters get continually raped by these people. We all (me included) have an age-old perception that marine work is always going to be more expensive. This iniquitous quote is where it all starts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-25-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
Thats why you cut a plug in the 1/2 size and then put that on the guide bit for the 3/4 size as a guide to keep it on center, then follow the install directions posted before.
Old 03-25-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
The best part of all this is, when you are done with this, you will have spent maybe 5 hours, tops, on the job. You can then say to yourself, that you have effectively made $270/hour. Not too shabby Mr. Moneybags!

I would go with the tapered plug method. Stick it in the hole until it seats. Mark the spot where it goes into the whole. Cut it off at or near that mark and then tap it in with a rubber mallet. Cut, seal up the facing edges of the hole with some epoxy, bed the whole thing well, replace the backing/front plate if needed. Oh, if you use 5200, a future owner will curse your name to Hades if this job ever needs to be re-done.
Downeaster 38 #40