Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid I don't understand the point of creating an aggregator website... it seems like a solution in search of a problem. Nearly every blog has an RSS feed. Anyone can sign up to the RSS feeds of whatever blogs they choose. Your RSS reader will "aggregate" them for you (provide a single place for you to view them all) and it will keep track of which articles you have read and which ones you haven't. There are a ton of RSS readers out there, including both online ones and app-based ones, for computers and phones and just about every other internet enabled device. The one I use is Google Reader.
Old 03-28-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobr View Post
Well, not sure if this violates the TOS, but since everyone else posted their blog, then: Checkout Yacht Blogs - Yacht and Sailing Blogs from Around the World, if you'd like. It updates hourly and has featured posts on the front page. Check the "Yacht Stream" link for the hourly updates.

Full disclosure: I'm the founder.
Nice site. I like it.
Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand the point of creating an aggregator website... it seems like a solution in search of a problem. Nearly every blog has an RSS feed. Anyone can sign up to the RSS feeds of whatever blogs they choose. Your RSS reader will "aggregate" them for you (provide a single place for you to view them all) and it will keep track of which articles you have read and which ones you haven't. There are a ton of RSS readers out there, including both online ones and app-based ones, for computers and phones and just about every other internet enabled device. The one I use is Google Reader.
I'd like to build one simply because I like my interwebs served to me in a particular way. Google Reader will get the job done...but it's not very sexy.

It'd be great if SailNet would add something similar.
Old 03-28-2011

jacobr is on a distinguished road
I think that a general "dumb aggregator" would be a decent idea and there may be demand for one. I think the problem is that this strategy quickly devolves into pretty low-quality content and may end up being more trouble to search through than its worth.

When I started YachtBlogs, I had actually intended to just aggregate all sailing blogs, regardless of content. But, as I added blogs to the list, it became apparent that 5% of the blogs are excellent, 80% are decent, and the rest are pretty awful. So, the selection process was installed as a way to filter out the sludge at the bottom as a tradeoff to make the site more usable. The other issue is that the worst blogs, the bottom 15% really don't post that often at all, have very little readership, and therefore an aggregator won't really do much for these blogs (since they rarely post).

Some of the things that we're implementing at YachtBlogs over the coming weeks and months include:
- A custom RSS feed (you opt-in to emails and select only the blogs you want to follow).
- Email updates / Daily / Weekly Digests of the blogs you choose to follow.
- Yacht Profile Pages: Users will be able to claim their yacht's page on YachtBlogs and will take control of the page. They can add photos, post status updates, notes, and even blog directly on the site. The profile pages (which are now the category pages) are transitioning from static blog-aggregation pages to live, interactive yacht profiles: This is going to be very cool, I promise.
- We're also introducing a Burgee program that users can display on their blogs to show how many followers/readers they have on their YachtBlogs page.

Hopefully these things add value for you, the reader. As a result, we will be able to syndicate content from more blogs because of the filtering mechanisms that we will create.

Hope you like it!
Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobr View Post
I think that a general "dumb aggregator" would be a decent idea and there may be demand for one. I think the problem is that this strategy quickly devolves into pretty low-quality content and may end up being more trouble to search through than its worth.

When I started YachtBlogs, I had actually intended to just aggregate all sailing blogs, regardless of content. But, as I added blogs to the list, it became apparent that 5% of the blogs are excellent, 80% are decent, and the rest are pretty awful. So, the selection process was installed as a way to filter out the sludge at the bottom as a tradeoff to make the site more usable. The other issue is that the worst blogs, the bottom 15% really don't post that often at all, have very little readership, and therefore an aggregator won't really do much for these blogs (since they rarely post).

Some of the things that we're implementing at YachtBlogs over the coming weeks and months include:
- A custom RSS feed (you opt-in to emails and select only the blogs you want to follow).
- Email updates / Daily / Weekly Digests of the blogs you choose to follow.
- Yacht Profile Pages: Users will be able to claim their yacht's page on YachtBlogs and will take control of the page. They can add photos, post status updates, notes, and even blog directly on the site. The profile pages (which are now the category pages) are transitioning from static blog-aggregation pages to live, interactive yacht profiles: This is going to be very cool, I promise.
- We're also introducing a Burgee program that users can display on their blogs to show how many followers/readers they have on their YachtBlogs page.

Hopefully these things add value for you, the reader. As a result, we will be able to syndicate content from more blogs because of the filtering mechanisms that we will create.

Hope you like it!
Sounds pretty cool. Are you gonna keep WP as a platform to build on?
Old 03-28-2011

jacobr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingWebGuy View Post
Sounds pretty cool. Are you gonna keep WP as a platform to build on?
That's the plan. We're going to have to mod it pretty severely to make it all work, but that's part of the fun!

We're building the site incrementally. I will try to post a screenshot of the profile/category page soon and get your feedback.
Old 03-30-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I really like the idea of promoting good blogs so here's something we will try and if it ties in with SailingWebGuy's Blog Aggregation and/or Jacob's site then well and good.

You'll find it under "Blog of the Month".

Feedback would be good.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2011
Sea Gypsy

edgesoftheearth is on a distinguished road
Google reader gets the job done. That way you only read about blogs you want to read. You can also use the Blogger dashboard as your feed reader but I find google reader easier as it is right in my google homepage.

Yachtblogs is also a great way to stay on top of popular blogs but mostly I like it because it is a great way to find new sailing related blogs. I am always looking for other like minded youngish people who are doing what I am doing. It is fun to watch people progress. Keep em coming Yachtblogs!
Old 04-09-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Here's another resource for you - lot's of sites and blogs listed.
Guide to Sailing and Cruising Stories - New Discoveries

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I really like the idea of promoting good blogs so here's something we will try and if it ties in with SailingWebGuy's Blog Aggregation and/or Jacob's site then well and good.

You'll find it under "Blog of the Month".

Feedback would be good.
Have I missed something? I can't find the link ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: