Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I confess to using the wind instrument behind the helm wheel more often than looking up the mast. However, most times, I sit off to the windward side and can see around the bimini anyway, so I rarely look through the glass panel. The wind instrument has also been known to stick occasionally, which can be problematic.

T-easy is right on with the tape. Yarn can be used as well. Unfortunately, there is way to much artificially induced seamanship pride that would suggest they are like training wheels. I say to all of them.... relax. This is supposed to be for fun. Bowthrusters are fine too!! That ought to get them going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
I use two 18 inch long pieces of 1/4 inch wide ribbon, purloined from some Christmas present, on my shrouds and only open the bimini between May and September, though we sail year round.
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
Old 03-28-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
All that is well and good for the experienced sailors you guys are, but I only have 40 years and the windex serves its purpose for me as well as what I see in the sails and the threads on the leech, What you are not considering here it isnt always all about you???? like when I hand the helm over to my wife or a novice.

Teling them how to keep the wind out of the V and explaining to them is much easier with the windex And easier for them to use.

I also have a wind instrument like minnie and use that quite a bit as it is very helful and save my neck.

Quote:
I am getting a new bimini made and wondering if anyone has any ideas for sighting the mast head besides a plastic window? I though of having a grommet pressed in above the helm (for sighting)but having problems being creative here.
I just dont like a plexi window in a bimini, but do like to watch the windex on top of the stick

The thread wasnt about how great you can sail without seeing the top of the mast, but was about the configuration of a window or other ways of seeing the top of the mast.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-28-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I guess I should have added to my post that I would NOT put a window in the Bimini top for a number of reasons, expense, leakage, weakness, added sunlight where I don't want it, etc... And, I suspect that unless the window was really large, most of the time the Bimini would block the view of the helmsman from seeing the masthead. I could be wrong about this--but I don't think so.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 03-28-2011

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
"I am getting a new bimini made and wondering if anyone has any ideas for sighting the mast head besides a plastic window?"
Actually I read the thread as a question about options. Granted a tell tale won't show you the top of the mast but it doesn't leak and doesn't cost hardly any money either.
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
Old 03-28-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
"I am getting a new bimini made and wondering if anyone has any ideas for sighting the mast head besides a plastic window?"
Actually I read the thread as a question about options. Granted a tell tale won't show you the top of the mast but it doesn't leak and doesn't cost hardly any money either.
Especially when you raid your wife's knitting basket for a few fluffs of yarn.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 03-28-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
I guess I should have added to my post that I would NOT put a window in the Bimini top for a number of reasons, expense, leakage
Well Gary you are right,,,if you put it a window in your bimini it probably would leak. Thank fully my wife does expert work with her sailrite machine and is able to sew one in which is watertight. And she wouldnt come cheap to put one in yours so your right it would be expensive

[QUOTE]
Quote:
added sunlight where I don't want it, etc... And, I suspect that unless the window was really large, most of the time the Bimini would block the view of the helmsman from seeing the masthead[/QUOTE
]As far as sunlight...an unfounded statement. It is in the rear above the helm, each one measures 6"X6" square and you can see the masthead perfectly

Quote:
I could be wrong about this--but I don't think so
I didnt think experts on everything could ever be wrong!!!!!

Feel free to Stop by sometime I can get my wife to give you some tips on sewing, Her tips come free

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Dave, there are NO EXPERTS--just people who claim to be. When I was young someone once said the definition of an expert is "someone from more than 20 miles out of town with a briefcase filled with slides."

"Feel free to Stop by sometime I can get my wife to give you some tips on sewing, Her tips come free "

I could use some tips on sewing, and I was relatively close to your neighborhood last night, performing at an Italian Restaurant. I lived in Parkville for many years, went to Parkville High School (the old one on Hiss Avenue), and just a few weeks ago performed for the Harford Park "Old Gang Of Mine" group at a get-together in Fallston, MD. I lived there when Joe Dorsey owned Diver's Den, Palmisano's just opened and the street car had a turning loop just north of Taylor Avenue. Yeah--I'm that old!

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 03-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
windex serves its purpose for me as well as what I see in the sails and the threads on the leech,

Dave
I agree totally. If I can't see the sails whats the point in having a sail boat?

I ensured my Bimini will fold back quickly - it takes about 30 seconds. I normally sail with it back.

When I get a new bimini I will get one with a lil see-thru bitty but I will still have it back most often.

Mark

Old 03-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I agree totally. If I can't see the sails whats the point in having a sail boat?......
Skin cancer usually changes that perspective.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.