Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Just curious where you located the max load figure?
Listen to the first posted movie. At the end the reporter says that the boat shipyard had said that the boat was badly overloaded and that the max load of that boat (according with the shipyard) was the one I had refereed. Max load is the weight of crew and passengers, luggage, equipment, everything except tankage.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtch View Post
..The responsibilty lies with the boats captain, whether he was USCG liscensed or not. Although I would wager he is not. One of the poster states that the parent should have stopped the voyage. I take a strong objection to this. These people were not sailors. These people probably had never before been on a boat. They were brought to the boat by Heart of Sailing. They trusted this organization to provide a safe sail. When "Captain George"(this is how he is refered to by the web site) welcomed them aboard they assumed he knew what the frig he was doing. The absolute terror the parents of the disabled child/children must have felt is staggering for these children must have been extremely traumatized. I am not for more or bigger government. I am for common sense. Organizations such as these should state the qualifications of their skippers. Are they USCG liscensed, ASA qualifications, etc.
You are absolutely right and this is one of those cases where even the ones that are for total freedom in what regards the need of licences for sailing and to carry as passengers the ones it please them, will think twice.

If someone can do this kind of stuff without any kind of supervision (kind of licence needed, kind of boat that fulfill the basic requirements, number of people that boat can carry under these circumstances and so on) how can they have "trusted this organization to provide a safe sail. When "Captain George"... welcomed them aboard they assumed he knew what the frig he was doing" if, as you have said, they probably don't know nothing about sailing or boats?

How should they know if it's safe or not? Who is telling them that? In whom can they trust?. There are a lot of good intentioned people that don't know what they are doing.

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-01-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You are absolutely right and this is one of those cases where even the ones that are for total freedom in what regards the need of licences for sailing and to carry as passengers the ones it please them, will think twice.

If someone can do this kind of stuff without any kind of supervision (kind of licence needed, kind of boat that fulfill the basic requirements, number of people that boat can carry under these circumstances and so on) how can they have "trusted this organization to provide a safe sail. When "Captain George"... welcomed them aboard they assumed he knew what the frig he was doing" if, as you have said, they probably don't know nothing about sailing or boats?

How should they know if it's safe or not? Who is telling them that? In whom can they trust?. There are a lot of good intentioned people that don't know what they are doing.

Regards

Paulo
I am glad some people are finally agreeing with me. I stated before that this boat should have been regulated as a vessel for hire. There is no difference between a boat like this giving free rides (and apparently soliciting "registration fees" and voluntary donations) and a water taxi or ferry. There should have been captain certification, regular inspections of the vessel, etc., just like are done for vessels for hire.

Maybe that's what the local regs already required, and this organization simply ignored them. If so, there may be no need for new regulations, just after-the-fact charges against the captain/organization for breaking the law (on multiple occasions).

Even those regulations do not guarantee perfect safety of the passengers - think Baltimore Water Taxi and Philly Duck Boats. But they do hopefully minimize the incidence of egregious repeated safety violations, which some are saying was the case here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)