Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Any info as to which non-profit organization put its disabled beneficiaries on this boat?
Old 03-28-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Apparently this one (from SA - not confirmed):

Heart of Sailing Foundation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
Just curious (since i live another life as an occasional private pilot): In the airplane world, an event like this would possibly warrant an "airworthiness directive" if it were found to be related to a mechanical or structural problem.
The environments are no where near the same though. An engine failure on a plane during take off due to poor maintenance, bad fuel, etc etc etc can pretty easily mean death.

Lose your engine on the way out of the marina and it's an embarrassment and maybe the expense of a tow.

Particularly with sailing on a good weather day in a bay, you really have to do some work to get killed. It's sad that this accident happened, but it's only news worthy because it's unusual. I'm sure several families were in car accidents over the week but it won't make the national news.
Old 03-28-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
In addition to the registration irregularities and boating safety questions, I would also question their safety on the road. They had a ~15 year old Dodge minivan pulling the trailer. My Dodge minivan struggles to pull my 15' Trophy boat. I can't even imagine pulling a 25 or 26' Macgregor with one - even with the ballast tank empty.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-28-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I'm not trying to justify flawed thinking here, but is it possible the skipper thought leaving the ballast tank empty would increase buoyancy so he could carry more passengers? Obviously the weight would be totally in the wrong place in this case.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-28-2011

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
Here's the latest from Signonsandiego:

Definetely a MacGregor 26 and overloaded. Tragic and unneccesary.

San Diego boat accident victims ID'd as father, son - SignOnSanDiego.com

ďA wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.Ē
Old 03-28-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
WOW. I was on a boat that left Shelter Island yester late afternoon for delivery to Mexico and we heard the CG warning people off from the area of this incident. Did not realize it was that serious. Loss of life is always a bummer but HOW MANY PEOPLE DID THEY HAVE ON THIS BOAT?
Later we heard them cancel the PAN PAN. Just assumed everything turned out okay. Damn.
Old 03-28-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Apparently this one (from SA - not confirmed):

Heart of Sailing Foundation
I met this guy and his other ( they introduce themselves to my wife and I in Dana Point a few years ago), seemed like nice people with a admirable outreach and knowledge of what they were doing. I would hate to think they would knowingly allow a overbook like this.

Time will tell

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-29-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
its a 1987 or 1988 Macgregor 26D (blue stripe vs later black stripe).

the only ballast THIS model has is the water, and if it leaked out, it could capsize.
(no relation to the current model for sale on the mfg website... a very different boat)

I can't imagine them leaving the dock with NO ballast, its just very very tippy. but if they didn't seal the vents or close the air vent, and it was heeling water could leak out, to help cause a capsize.

however, the hull would not want to float upside down, where the weight was the highest.

like most of the accidents for macgregor, I think it will turn out that the balast was not full and that error in use, caused the incident.

-and that is way to many aboard! 6 is a normal limit, 8 maybe if there are several kids. but 8 is a lot, and 10 is just foolish.

prayers for their families! so sad.
Old 03-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A well-written first-hand account of the rescue attempts this morning on SA. Worth the read.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.