Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
More informations is available at 2 Dead, 7 Hurt in SD Sailboat Accident - Page 6 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The following is a sanp of the boat--badly overloaded and absent ballasting--just before the accident:

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the tip Fast. Jeez what a horrible story.

Have they disclosed who was skippering the boat? I haven't seen that anywhere yet. Whoever it was is sadly going to have a serious cross to bear.

God be with them all.

(Just saw the above pic. Jeez.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-29-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Prayers to those involved.

The picture looks ominous! By that photo, it looks like at least 5/10 are seated starboard, so why is a boat with bare sticks heeling like that? He could be motoring a turn, but still, I wouldn't think a ballasted boat should heel so much. also see six with no PFD.

It certainly caused me to reflect, and think about what I do, and what can happen.
Old 03-29-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
What sucks is that this organization seems like it's made up of really good people. Free sails to these kids and their families - only asking for donations to cover expenses.

One bad call out of many, many sails - and disaster happens.

As for the boat - how does the water ballasting work? Is there one tank? Two? Judging by that pic, that was a very unstable boat from the get-go.

Old 03-29-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Again back to the "Rental" company. Even if this was for a good cause. Somewhere it would have stated that there were only 5 PFD on board as that would have been the max load. It should have been obvious at cast off that there are to many people on this 25/26 ft. boat (not 35') as the picture shows. Apparently there was no operating instructions given to any as to how to deploy the keel and ballast.
I read there was a language barrier, but still these people should not have been "cast off" by the "owners" of this boat as it is obvious it wasn't this family that owned it.
I feel for the survivors, this is not how a family outing should end.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 03-29-2011

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
I must be missing something completely. Could someone please clarify "SA"? I presume it is a website and I have seen it reference a number of times in this thread but for the life of me I don't know what "SA" is referring to.
Sorry for being dense.

ďA wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.Ē
Old 03-29-2011
Last Man Standing

Here's a link to the scheduling page for these sails:

Heart of Sailing Foundation

I have no idea if the listing on the 27th was the group/boat that actually went out, but you can see that "Sailing with George" that day was fully booked.

As for the "rental" - my hunch is that this was a donated boat. You can see that they ask for boats (and other things) as donations. This would explain the tags, etc.

Again, a lot of spotty information - but the rental aspect of this doesn't make sense in light of the organization behind it.

swimn - SA is Sailing Anarchy.

Old 03-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Pop top fully open... once leaned over hard there was nothing stopping water rushing in....

No boom/main. Makes one wonder if they removed ballast because they 'didn't need any since they were only using the jib'... The guy on the tiller is wearing a captains hat... was he part of the group or was he the skipper/owner?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-29-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
the missing Boom and main sail might be so they can Sit on the Cabin top and also display there banners on the Mast as seen in this Picture form there sight

Heart of sailing Slide Show

just my guess as to the missing boom.
Old 03-29-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
My GUESS, is like many here (and everywhere else), skipper confused the current model with the older models.

This (older) model can never be operated without the ballast. the newer ones can be (if not over loaded) when motoring to get on a plane.

The way a water ballast boat works is you launch it, open the valves, and the water fills up the cavity. (when it fills up) you close it up. shut the valve in the bottom of the boat, and the air vent.

there are several line drawings on SA already...

even if it was knocked down, it would still right, with water in the cabin. -the factory installed a lot of stryofoam to keep them from sinking, and its distributed all over the innner hull.

The fact it floated hull up, says a lot...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.