Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011

scraph is on a distinguished road
2 dead, 8 injured in sailboat sinking

2 dead, 8 injured as sailboat sinks off San Diego Bay

This is a very unfortunate event but ... 10 people were not sailing around the bay on a large vessel ... they were on a 25-foot sailboat. 10 people on the rail of this boat (think, 'Oh look! A dolphin. It's over there!') is just as much movable ballast as the boat was built with (if not a little more). The article mentioned the boat capsized, cause unknown. This certainly outlines the eventuality of boating safety neglected... what a shame.
Old 03-28-2011

Collinsb is on a distinguished road
I live close to this area and sail out the shelter island harbor. My heart and prayers go out to the families involved. It's especially sad knowing a little bit of extra knowledge on boating safety could have prevented this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I saw an aerial picture of this on the news here in Northern California; and it looked like the boat may have lost it's keel. The reason I say this is because you could not see a fin on the hull and the boat was floating while completely upside-down. In most cases this cannot happen a keel boat will always try and right itself if it turns over. Rolling to an inverted position should not be able to happen in flat water. Looks like maybe 6 adults, 4 kids. I'm not sure I would call that over-loaded because sailboats can handle a large amount of ballast weight. I think my 41 is rated to have something like 25 adults aboard if I had life jackets for everyone. That's way, way more than I would ever want to have onboard; just it's rated capacity.
Old 03-28-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I have read several accounts, and so far one identifies the boat as 25', the other two i.d. the boat as 35'. So there seems to be a discrepancy on the size of the boat.

The video in this news clip shows the overturned boat. I agree with KH, there does not appear to be a keel, although this could be a centerboard boat. I also don't see a rudder.

Clearly something went very wrong here.

P.S. KH, good to hear from you -- although I wish it were under different circumstances.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-28-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
I saw an aerial picture of this on the news here in Northern California; and it looked like the boat may have lost it's keel...
It's possible, but remember that many 25-footers have swing keels. I assume that if a boat with swinger capsizes, gravity will pull the keel back down into the well.

I have no direct experience with swing keels, but I believe that any ballast is higher up in/near the hull, making the boat even more topheavy with that many passengers. And as already mentioned, coming about with that many people aboard is likely to end up with too many being on the leeward side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-28-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Studying that video clip some more -- that is an unusual hull shape for a sailboat. Very low-displacement, with a flat bottomed in the run-out aft.

It almost looks more like a powerboat hull, with an outboard drive-shaft at the stern. Hard to say, though.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-28-2011

michigancruisers is on a distinguished road
not only is there no keel in the image but there is no rudder as well. Do Macgregors have a flip up rudder?

MC
Old 03-28-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
The original link's video shows them towing the boat in with someone onboard. It's definitely not 35' and 25' looks like a pretty close guess.
10 people on a 25' boat?

Mine is 26' and maximum loading is 6 people of normal weight. 6 on mine would be a crowded boat.

Unless something happened to the keel, how did it completely turtle? I would think once those 10 people went into the drink, it would have righted itself. I couldn't identify the boat from the video, but if it's a water ballast which was left empty it could happen, I guess. The article said they needed translators for the victims.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 03-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
The original link's video shows them towing the boat in with someone onboard. It's definitely not 35' and 25' looks like a pretty close guess.
10 people on a 25' boat?
Looks like an early McGregor in that first video where they are towing it upright.

Sad story... that's a big load on a small boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-28-2011

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
At the 2:00 mark in the video in the original post you can see a profile of the boat as it's being towed in. There's a small outboard mounted on the stern -- I'm guessing a stern hung rudder detached when it turtled (not that it should have, of course). I'm going to guess that it was a CB, which, if the pivot bolt gave way or came out would quickly result in a capsize. If they had sails up, the drag from the sails would have slowed (but not prevented) it from turtling. Only "some" of those rescued had pfds according to the video.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

Last edited by CLucas; 03-28-2011 at 01:56 PM.