Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
JESSICA WATSON is racing

She's going to make the Round the Island Race and next the Sydney-Hobart.

After all that circumnavigation and the investment in it will have a practical interest assuming she wants to have a racing career. I guess that it will be a lot easier of her to get some sponsors but she will need guidance. Those two races will get her publicity but for getting serious and to get experience in what she probably do best (solo sailing) she should race seriously on the minis.

Australian teenage sailing supremo Jessica Watson, who celebrates her 18th birthday in May, is crewing alongside Britain's Michael Perham, aged 19, on a Bavaria 37 called Cold Play, skippered by Phil Baughen in this year's Round the Island Race on Saturday 25th June.
Jessica has recently announced that she is to skipper a boat with the youngest ever crew to enter the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race on Boxing Day, a crew that includes Mike Perham. The Race organisers at the Island Sailing Club are looking forward to welcoming them to Cowes and to watching their progress on Race day.

J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race 2011 - Latest news

YouTube - JPMorgan Asset Management Round the Island Race 2009 - Competitors view from last years race

Last edited by PCP; 03-28-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
She's sailing with Michael Perham, so yeah, it should be a media blitz.
Old 03-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sounds similar to the Disney flick a few years back, when they took a crew that ave about 18 or there abouts, and sent them on the race from CA to Maui. Pac Cup?

Personally at times, could be a good thing, if coached ahead of time etc. Similar to the different (US) football bowl games for college srs to show there stuff to the recruits before draft day. If races like this occur upon occasion, then the BIGGER race crews will see who of the younger set might be willing to do long races like this, find out who to recruit etc. In the end, frankly from the PRO end of the sport, a very good thing. Yes it will be a media blitz, but tell me, what other sport with equal events is NOT a media blitz?

Marty
Old 03-28-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Yes, It may well be.

Welcome - ChallengeMike

But why they have chosen a Bavaria 37 just beats me

Even a Bavaria 36 would have been a much better boat, not to mention a Bavaria Match 35 or any of the First series boat, just to speak of inexpensive boats.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-28-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Here's what I posted on another site a week or so ago:

Jessica Watson has assembled the youngest crew ever to compete in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. The sailors from Australia and the United Kingdom range in age from 17 to 21 and the team has already begun training for the December 26 race.

Watson to skipper youngest Sydney-Hobart crew - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

At the time, I believed they were planning to compete amongst the small fleet of Sydney 38's - but haven't seen anything either way since.

EDIT: She's only crewing on the Bavaria - it's someone else's boat - whereas the Sydney-Hobart event is something entirely different:

Sail-World.com : Jessica Watson to contest UK's Round the Island Race

Last edited by Classic30; 03-31-2011 at 01:41 AM.