Classic Yacht Racing, Auckland, NZ - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2011 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Classic Yacht Racing, Auckland, NZ

When we met up last weekend, the Venerable TD Wombat Esq. (a.k.a Fuzzy) reminded me that I hadn't posted anything about the Southern Trust Classic Yacht Regatta we were part of back in February.

For those that don't know, it's sailed yearly on Auckland Harbour and is a truly a sight to behold!! Here are a couple of photos of our racing on Waitangi (a 76' Logan gaff cutter built in 1894) on the Friday taken by one of the crew:

Here's Thelma chasing us:

I have the Trans-Tasman Cup sitting in pride of place on my mantlepiece. Two firsts, two seconds in different boats...

More photos of this event can be found here: CYA 2011 Classic Yacht Regatta - Photos

Enjoy.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 03-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2011

Congrats on the hardware. There are some beautiful boats in your pictures and in the link.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-30-2011
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Cameron, Hi. I missed this when first posted. Thanks for the heads up.

As always good to catch up, sorry the Sydney weather didn't coperate. This place is turning into Seattle cos its StillRaining !!.

Great pics, two boats, what, did the crew of the first mutiny ? Hardly surprising given your particularly abrasive personality.

btw the NZ site is either a bad link or the site itself is down.

ps - Waitangi really is just a great big Akarana isn't she ?

Andrew B

Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2011 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Cameron, Hi. I missed this when first posted. Thanks for the heads up.

As always good to catch up, sorry the Sydney weather didn't coperate. This place is turning into Seattle cos its StillRaining !!.

Great pics, two boats, what, did the crew of the first mutiny ? Hardly surprising given your particularly abrasive personality.

btw the NZ site is either a bad link or the site itself is down.

ps - Waitangi really is just a great big Akarana isn't she ?
That's odd.. I just checked and the link works fine for me. Try Index page | The Classic Yacht Association of New Zealand, go to "Classics Racing and Events" and have a look at the "Classic Yacht Regatta - Photos" thread. Warning: It's kinda large!

You get allocated a different boat for each of the three days of racing. For me it was Waitangi on the fist day, Rainbird (a "modern classic"!) on the 2nd and Thelma on the last day.

Waitangi makes Akarana look like a pond yacht, but Robert Logan really did design great looking (and speedy) yachts that are very impressive to sail. I really, seriously, don't think I have ever in my life thus far enjoyed a day on the water as much as I did that day on Waitangi. That is one heck of a sailing yacht!! ..It's just a shame that even with a 60hp engine and hydraulic drive prop you need 15 crew just to leave the dock..

It was great to see you both again. Next time we'll plan the weather better - either that or we'll get to see the rest of the Maritime Museum..

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 03-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.