Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
Too loose is better than too tight in most situations...one too tight situation comes to mind... NO seriously, you want some wiggle room. No seriously, It really depends- floating dock? big tide? Tying to pilings? I try to keep the stinkley just perfect in her berth, not rubbing too much on the fenders. I am dealing with a 5-6' tide here in chucktown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
I'm at a lake so I don't have tides or big waves to worry about. I've kept mine on the tight side with just a little bit of wiggle room. The lines aren't constantly pulling but there isn't enough room to get momentum and hit the end of the line. I have fenders out but the lines aren't long enough to let it rub against the docks, so they shouldn't be needed. Winds have been kind of bad lately with 50 mph gusts and she's been through a few storms of 80 mph winds and is fine so far *touch wood*.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 04-28-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Thanks for the info. I think "a tad loose" describes the situation I left the boat in this morning... I loosened up the bow line about 6" from the tight position it was in last night that was causing the creaking. I didn't stick around to see if it stopped creaking, but it seemed better. My dock lines are 3/4" double braid nylon, AFAICT. I have chafe guards on them at the places where they chafe, and I inspect them regularly.
I seem to have same dock lines as you (3/4 inch double braid). I know mine are way oversized for my boat but I wanted that to allow for some chaf wear and still have a strong line. With my dock lines being so over sized, I do not think they stretch much. I think it is important to have the snubbers on because of this. Without snubbers I think I would have ripped my cleats off by now.
Old 04-28-2011

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
My slip is pretty far in so I can have my lines with just a bit of slack. I got on the list at the marina and after a few years got a more protected slip. Annother solution are the rubber snubbers you put on the lines. Whitecap makes them. I haven't used them but they look ok.
Cal-29
Old 04-28-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
The solution to your problem can be found TideMinders: freedom from line adjustment during storm surges, tidal changes and high-winds. here.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.