Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
fallard, thanks. i was very interested in spinnaker, but guy selling from Canada has been wishy washy about the price he originally quoted me....he know wants to take it to a sailmaker to make sure we both are happy with the sale(not sail)....what a clown! i found a guy locally that has an asy one but wants tooooooo much loot...like $2k or something silly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Agree: $2K sounds like a lot for a used sail for a 30' boat. BTW, you might want to have a sailmaker check a used light air sail before you sign on the dotted line.
Old 04-07-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Personally I love flying my symmetrical. The ability to see under the sail really changes the experience. I have practiced setting, jibing, and dousing the sock in light air, solo, no sock.

To me the main issue is that once the chute is down, it's down for the day. I'm usually too busy with other things to take the time to repack it correctly. Perhaps with practice, and with somebody else to keep watch so I wouldn't have to do it in the cockpit, this will get easier. Any tips?
Old 04-07-2011

wsmckelvy is on a distinguished road
I bought a C&C 40 last year it came with a spinnaker and all the gear. Mostly my girlfriend and I sail the boat out of Annapolis. We used the spinnaker a few times, but with a 16' foot pole to deal with there was really to much going on during jibes for the two of us handle. (When we have at 2 others on board that know what they are doing it's a blast!) We bought a asymmetrical! While it isnt as fast dead down wind, it is very very easy to handle, and we dont even have to think about throwing it up. For what its worth I got it at Bacon Sails for 2,300 with everything included.
Old 04-07-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
.......To me the main issue is that once the chute is down, it's down for the day. I'm usually too busy with other things to take the time to repack it correctly. Perhaps with practice, and with somebody else to keep watch so I wouldn't have to do it in the cockpit, this will get easier. Any tips?
Though this works best with boats with non overlapping jibs, if you can make a bag/turtle that fits your companionway (or find a way to hang yours there) AND your sheets/guys are long enough you can hoist and douse in and out of the bag, leaving your lines attached and all you need to do them is get onto the proper jibe for rehoisting. You hoist and douse under the boom, no need to 'repack' in between. Once hoisted pull the guy to stretch the foot and bring the pole to where you need it. With roller furling you can roll out the jib and the takedown is easy in the lee of both sails.

A 150 can get in the way but it works well with small headsails - and there's always the option of furling the jib/genny before hoisting or dousing.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-07-2011

booboonme is on a distinguished road
Using a spinnaker will rock your world, we have an Alberg30 and our primary sail is a 110% Polyester laminate small headsail that works really well from about 10 knots right up to 35knts with a double reed in the main. Our spinnaker is an oversized cruising chute where the luff and leach are only 1 foot different so we can fly it like a cruising chute or with a pole. The thing about using a pole is its a bit more complex to run although you get used to it. Also you need a bit more rigging. For example a topping lift for the pole, I also use tweakers for the sheets and guys for control. With the cruising chute you only need a downhaul which I run through the bow roller and then I still use tweakers as the help with sail shape a lot. We have actually broken 10 knots with the spinnaker up a headsail and the main in 30 knots and let me tell you that was rocking. Not for the faint of hear though. But make no mistake once you learn how to use a spinnaker and have a nice run with one your life will be forever changed.

Give it a go its all good and its fun.

Good Luck!
Booboonme
Old 04-07-2011

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
WSMC...always liked the C&C 40. There were two in Marblehead years ago when I lived there and they won everything.
Old 04-07-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Any tips?
douse into the forehatch. leave everything attached. just remember what side you doused on and set it again from that side. no need to repack unless it came down in a big twisting mess. Round the cans racing you can do the companionway, but then the entrance to the cabin is blocked.
Old 04-08-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Though this works best with boats with non overlapping jibs, if you can make a bag/turtle that fits your companionway (or find a way to hang yours there) AND your sheets/guys are long enough you can hoist and douse in and out of the bag, leaving your lines attached and all you need to do them is get onto the proper jibe for rehoisting. You hoist and douse under the boom, no need to 'repack' in between. Once hoisted pull the guy to stretch the foot and bring the pole to where you need it.
Sounds like a great idea, but I've read so much about how important it is to pack correctly that I'd be worried about the chute coming back out twisted. Is that not an issue because I'm leaving lines attached?

I like the whole under-the-boom aspect. So far I've been hosting from the foredeck or side deck and dousing down the companionway, but since I single-hand a lot I'd rather stay in the cockpit if I can.

Also no furling. Means I do have to leave the cockpit, but only long enough to pull the jib down and secure it, or release the securing line.
Old 04-08-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Adam it's the same principle as a 'stuff bag' for a coil of rope. It will come out the reverse it went in... and, as you suggest, if the sheets/guys/halyards are not released they can't get twisted about in the bag.

We sailed a Martin 242 with this setup for years with no snags. It's important that you have no sharp 'grabbers' or pinch points on the boom/rig in the hoist/douse path. It is a bit more effort to haul the kite up against the sail and at times the shroulds, but with no tear points it seemed to not be a problem.

On the hoist, halyard full up, sail in lee of main, pull guy through till you fetch up the pole, and trim for pole angle (height was preset) and only then trim the sheet as it fills.

On the douse, grab the sheet under the boom, release the guy and let it run through.. gather the entire foot if you can (you may need to ease the halyard a few feet) then with the clews together haul the sail down and stuff the 'tube' in the bag, leaving everything attached.

If you find yourself forced to hoist on the opposite gybe from the takedown, you can do a windward set, but that requires some agile crew, otherwise grab the bag with sheets/halyard attached, and walk the entire thing around the front of the boat, rehang the bag and you're good to go.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)