CO2 Replacement on PFD - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-02-2011 Thread Starter

CO2 Replacement on PFD

I am leaving for Marathon Keys tomorrow to help deliver a C&C42 to Charleston, SC. It will be an open water sail. Bringing my own PFD that is about two years old. I have only used it once or twice though, because I use a lighter one when coastal sailing around here.

How often should the C02 charge be replaced.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-02-2011

There is a gross weight stamped on the CO2 bottle, the bottle should be put on a weight as part of the regular inspection of the pfd.
This inspection should be done at least every 6 months.

You should also inflate the west using the blow tube and let it stay inflated over night to check for leaks.

Make sure you screw the bottle tight and re pack the according to manufacturers instruction.

If it is a automated release on this pfd, the release "tablet" should be replaced according to instructions.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-2011

Mine is about 20 years old (manual). I tested it last month with the original cannister and it worked fine.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2011
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I am leaving for Marathon Keys tomorrow to help deliver a C&C42 to Charleston, SC. It will be an open water sail. Bringing my own PFD that is about two years old. I have only used it once or twice though, because I use a lighter one when coastal sailing around here.

How often should the C02 charge be replaced.
The issue is not the CO2 cartridge, it's the bobbin in the hammer/firing pin assembly. Depending upon the manufacturer you should be able to obtain replacement bobbins from Defender or West Marine. I suggest you replace the bobbin just to be on the safe side. Take the old one and pitch it in a glass of water. If it fizzes up and desolves it would have been fine but they are quite cheap and better safe than sorry. We test/replace ours annually.

IF you do not have an EPIRB, contact BoatUS (I'm sure you're a member right?) and have them FedEx a unit to you before you depart. File a "Float Plan" with BoatUS and leave a copy with your wife/girlfriend/next of kin or whomever is your shoreside contact, just to be on the safe side. Marathon to Charleston's an easy run as long as the winds don't turn on you.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.