Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Jon Sander's 2nd yacht, Parry Endevour (the one he used to circumnavigate 3 times around the world non-stop) is hanging from the roof of the Fremantle Maritime museum. Pretty impresive seeing a 40ft yacht hanging from wires.

Ilenart
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Jon Sander's 2nd yacht, Parry Endevour (the one he used to circumnavigate 3 times around the world non-stop) is hanging from the roof of the Fremantle Maritime museum. Pretty impresive seeing a 40ft yacht hanging from wires.

Ilenart
I hope to make it to the museum in the next few and see her. There are pics on the internet of her.
Old 04-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I have an S&S 34 and I love her. And I paid a small fraction of $300K. I would love to fit her out like Pink Lady.
I've not seen much showing the interior of EPL but unless I wanted to do a solo roundabout I'd figure she would not make a great cruiser for a couple. Could be wrong of course but most single handers I have seen do not allow much in the way of home comforts. OTOH, the hard dodger, heavy rig and the arch for solar etc is to be coveted. That is in no way putting down the S&S34, one of my favourite small yachts.

Hey look, of course you'd expect the museum to pay over the odds for EPL. She is for the moment at least a drawcard and should repay them handsomely.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-05-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I've not seen much showing the interior of EPL but unless I wanted to do a solo roundabout I'd figure she would not make a great cruiser for a couple. Could be wrong of course but most single handers I have seen do not allow much in the way of home comforts. OTOH, the hard dodger, heavy rig and the arch for solar etc is to be coveted. That is in no way putting down the S&S34, one of my favourite small yachts.

Hey look, of course you'd expect the museum to pay over the odds for EPL. She is for the moment at least a drawcard and should repay them handsomely.
What do you mean by coveted? If that means they are not included with the Yacht then my value for the boat has just dropped by $200k! If you go on you tube there are movies showing inside of the boat. It is very tight quaters. The engine was stern mounted but was even moved further to the bow to allow better access for maintenace. It looks like you need to climb over the engine to get to the galley. As far as a cruising boat the bad part is they are tight quaters. The good part is that a S&S34 should get you there and back and the cost and effort for maintenance is relatively small compared to a larger yacht.
Old 04-06-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Yep definitely agree. When I was looking for Amadeus we looked at a couple of S&S34's and unfortunately the back area around the galley / nav station was too tight (wife took one look and said "yuck / no way!"). The best 34 ft yacht for room around this area was your yacht, a Van De Stadt 34. Unfortuntely there were none available that we liked in WA. Then a friend suggested that we look at a UFO 34, which she described as halfway between a Van De Stadt 34 and a S&S34 for room around this area. And she was correct (wife said "ok").

Ilenart
Old 04-06-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
What do you mean by coveted? If that means they are not included with the Yacht then my value for the boat has just dropped by $200k! If you go on you tube there are movies showing inside of the boat. It is very tight quaters. The engine was stern mounted but was even moved further to the bow to allow better access for maintenace. It looks like you need to climb over the engine to get to the galley. As far as a cruising boat the bad part is they are tight quaters. The good part is that a S&S34 should get you there and back and the cost and effort for maintenance is relatively small compared to a larger yacht.
Covet as in to desire. Meaning that the hard dodger, strengthened rig and and solid arch are great additions to the standard S&S34. Making a good boat even better.

I must go on to UTube and check out those vids. Engine more in the centre of the boat (fore and aft centre that is) would improve handling as well.

Ilenart, yes the VDS34 is less pinched in at the stern than the S&S or the UFO but I'm thinking she is also not quite as beamy amidships. Sorry to OP if this is starting to degenerate into a 'what's the best 34'er' thread but the one area that I think makes the VDS a standout is the aft head. Love it. OTOH, galley is a bit tight (extra flap up counter is a boon) and I'd love a sit down chart table though this would be at the cost of the under chart table ice box/fridge.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett