SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Privacy or inordinate paranoia (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/73381-privacy-inordinate-paranoia.html)

rikhall 04-05-2011 07:33 AM

Privacy or inordinate paranoia

Privacy or inordinate paranoia?

I was just reading a post by a sailnetter asking where to find something. I happened to have an extra and thought I would offer it to them. I went to their profile to see where they live and the profile was empty.

Now, I can understand why you would not want to put your street address, city, postal code, social insurance number, addresses of your grand children, but you general geographic location?

Give me a break.

Oh well - there certainly is an overwhelming culture of fear among a very large segment of the population.

Just my morning observation after only one cup of coffee.

(Just got back from visiting my friend who is a fireman - so I have my flame retardant suit on)

Rik
(Fredericton, NB, Canada - like, just go to Maine and turn east)

bljones 04-05-2011 07:41 AM

or, choice #3- they just didn't bother.

rikhall 04-05-2011 07:44 AM

#4 - they didn't have time because they were too busy being paranoid ????

:laugher

LandLocked66c 04-05-2011 08:21 AM

I don't generally give my location either. Although i'm sure from all my posts, that one could deduce where my general location is.

CapnBilll 04-05-2011 08:32 AM

It is a little unfriendly to not post ANY personal information. Name sex, and city of origin isn't to personal. Especially considering that some people even post what they ate for breakfast on tweeter and facebook. I would more likely put it down to lazyness.

pinayreefer 04-05-2011 08:38 AM

I'd vote "aroundtoit" since, as was said, people put every personal thing on their Facebook and Twitter accounts. I've been on forums a long time and generally put enough info so that folks know who I am, but I'm embaressed to say that I've put nothing on my profile here. But I will now!

kd3pc 04-05-2011 08:45 AM

sadly most will look at the profile information as "giving away" too much information...

the reality is that far more information is out there about you already, whether you know it or not, or like it or not. Certainly if you participate in any online activity, you leave a trail. For a few dollars, you can get even more "privacy information" about anyone.

This horse has left the barn months ago, the door is still open and there is little that one can do about it.

Faster 04-05-2011 09:02 AM

It is helpful for members to be accurate and a bit more forthcoming in the profile info - doesn't have to be personal but even just a location and the boat type in question would result in more helpful responses right off the bat.

These basic items can be readily displayed in your banner and your signature.

MARC2012 04-05-2011 11:13 AM

Keep in mind,most paranoid people are right.marc

LandLocked66c 04-05-2011 11:59 AM

It's a personal battle for me. I don't have a Facebook account nor twitter. I do have a linkedin profile and participate in several forums. That being said, I don't outwardly just put info online so anybody can peruse. I'm in the process of getting away from the "free" email providers because they are very insecure and knowingly share and sell your info. Yes, alot of your info is out there, but you don't have to be ok with it. I believe if you are pro-active you can reduce your footprint on the net to a reasonable level.

Don't even get me started on Facebook!
Facebook Privacy: A Bewildering Tangle of Options - Graphic - NYTimes.com