Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC2012 View Post
Not so sure about winter sailing.Northren gulf northers in winter are NO FUN.marc
I was thinking that mid Oct to Nov covering Texas to Pensacola. Then Dec to Jan covering Pensacola to southern Florida. Then Feb and Mar in Key West/Dry Totugas/Cuba/Yucatan. Then Apr and May in Mexico. Then home in June.
Is Dec too late to leave Pensacola?
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I understand that Belize is not in the gulf, however wouldn't the line from Key West to the western tip of Cuba to the Yucatan Peninsula mark the boundary of the gulf? And yes, including the Mexican coast as otherwise it would be too long a span with out rest stops. I know that at my age and condition, more than two days and one night of continuous sailing would be too much.
John
Actually, the dividing line runs from the Florida Keys to the the Yucatan Peninsula around Isla Holbox.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 04-07-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
How about a yucatan and back trip? I do the ICW in a power boat. There are some bridges. If you want a second hand on the TX coast portion PM me.
Old 04-07-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
nolatom,
Thanks for the link. I remember Vlad but forgot about the thread. His 3' draft made a lot possible for him that would exclude 5'. Like Vlad, I have looked at the big toe of Louisiana thinking it must be beautiful and a wonderful cruising ground requiring a lot of local knowledge to safely navigate.
Thanks,
John
Old 04-08-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Dec. is not too late from pen. With right wind can sail pen to ft walton then cross the ch? ,hard word, bay.Short motor trip to west bay panama city.Can sail w.bay panama city east bay area.Icw east bay to aplacholia pretty to me,probably have to motor here.Then sail aplac. to dog island,cross gulf with weather window.Sorry getting too long.marc
Old 04-08-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
nolatom,
Thanks for the link. I remember Vlad but forgot about the thread. His 3' draft made a lot possible for him that would exclude 5'. Like Vlad, I have looked at the big toe of Louisiana thinking it must be beautiful and a wonderful cruising ground requiring a lot of local knowledge to safely navigate.
Thanks,
John
It's pretty all right, but kinda desolate outside of venice, and can be real tricky when the river current is running at 5 knots during high water--especially when you have to get from Venice "Jump" up to Baptiste Collette to head east. Lotsa ship, inland, and oilfield traffic. So a challenge for a sailboat that maxes out at 6 knots.
Old 08-02-2011

schoonersouth is on a distinguished road
Circle Tour Gulf of Mexico

John,
I have been wanting to do the same for years. My thought was to go from brownsville or rockport around to Fl and the keys. That way you are working toward better and better water. Like you I'm in my 60s and will probably have to do it solo. I would probably stop every so often and fish where I found good water. I am thinking to take 4 months. I first had this idea about 10 years ago and since it has grown to a small fever. I grew up on the gulf and as a kid the islands off Alabama and Mississippi were magical and must be visited again.
I may be able to start this voyage in spring of 2012. If all goes well. I would enjoy hearing your ideas on your trip.
Dave
Old 08-02-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastcruiser View Post
I am planning just such a trip now.

Send me a PM if you would like some more information.
Awwww... do it out in public. There are too many of us here who want to hear more on this subject. Please???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 08-03-2011

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Wow, We too are in our late 60's, and live on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana. What a great idea and very doable for many of us. Great thread, thank you!! We are thinking of heading to the Keys in Oct./Nov. this year but are not sure about adding to that plan yet.

Years ago we had a friend who did something similar. He had some difficulties as he chose to cross from Mississippi to Veracruz and then head east, along the Mexican Coast to the tip of Yucatan and across to the Keys and back to N.O., La. along the coast. From Veracruz to the Yucatan it was all hard to weather in a 35' ketch. His wife left him after that leg and hasn't been seen since.

Last edited by Leocat66; 08-03-2011 at 06:16 AM.