SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Circle Tour Gulf of Mexico

6K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Leocat66 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about circumnavigating the Gulf of Mexico and have some questions that some of you might be able to help me with. Assume start point is Port Aransas, Tx. I sail a Pearson 28, 5' draft, 45' air draft. Plain and simple equipment. Will need some time in marinas and some time on the hook. I will probably have to do it solo.
1. It seems the rotation should be clock wise. Is that correct?
2. It seems the season should be late October to June, or is that too early/late?
3. Can it be done allowing for plenty of lay-over days in 200 or so days? (I'm in my late 60s and need what seems to me an inordinate amount of rest after a big energy exertion)
4. What are the must see ports/islands/bays/rivers?
5. What are the must avoid places?
6. What part of the ICW is fun and sailable?
7. What part of the ICW is best avoided?
8. What about sailing from Key West/Dry Totugas to Cuba? (In terms of routes and sea conditions, not the politics)
9. If time allows, is Belize worth it?
10. Has anyone done this and put it in a blog somewhere?
I will appreciate any input you have.
John

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm with you on this one John. I've been contemplating selling everything (before the government taxes it all away) and making a go of it doing the circle full time. Your questions are right on the money.

Does peanut butter and jelly have a shelf life?

#11 ·
I was thinking that mid Oct to Nov covering Texas to Pensacola. Then Dec to Jan covering Pensacola to southern Florida. Then Feb and Mar in Key West/Dry Totugas/Cuba/Yucatan. Then Apr and May in Mexico. Then home in June.
Is Dec too late to leave Pensacola?
John

#6 ·
I would like to point out that Cuba and Belize are not part of the Gulf! ;)

When you say circumnavigate the Gulf, are you including the Mexican coast too?

#9 ·
I would like to point out that Cuba and Belize are not part of the Gulf! ;)

When you say circumnavigate the Gulf, are you including the Mexican coast too?
I understand that Belize is not in the gulf, however wouldn't the line from Key West to the western tip of Cuba to the Yucatan Peninsula mark the boundary of the gulf? And yes, including the Mexican coast as otherwise it would be too long a span with out rest stops. I know that at my age and condition, more than two days and one night of continuous sailing would be too much.
John

#10 · (Edited)
I don't know the whole circle. But east of Galveston, it's commercial harbors with *long* in/out distances, and the ICW in western Louisiana is pretty boring, plus you have to watch out for the barge traffic. Better to make a long hop offshore to Tiger Pass and Venice as a lay-over (check the Miss River height and current first)? Then the ICW in Mississippi Sound is pretty, wide and fun. East of Mobile it's narrower, pretty, and fun, but so's "going outside" depending on weather. Orange Beach and Destin, pretty, easy access, and short in-out.

That's the section I sorta know. You ought to ask CrazyRU (Vlad) on this board, he did the Houston to Tampa trip on a shoestring and went 'coastal" in west/central Louisiana with all the oilfield boat boys, where sailboats hardly ever go. Get some advice form him maybe? Here's his thread from back then, reads like a good, quirky, adventure novel....

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/41316-houston-tx-oriental-nc-how.html

#14 ·
nolatom,
Thanks for the link. I remember Vlad but forgot about the thread. His 3' draft made a lot possible for him that would exclude 5'. Like Vlad, I have looked at the big toe of Louisiana thinking it must be beautiful and a wonderful cruising ground requiring a lot of local knowledge to safely navigate.
Thanks,
John

#16 ·
It's pretty all right, but kinda desolate outside of venice, and can be real tricky when the river current is running at 5 knots during high water--especially when you have to get from Venice "Jump" up to Baptiste Collette to head east. Lotsa ship, inland, and oilfield traffic. So a challenge for a sailboat that maxes out at 6 knots.

#15 ·
Dec. is not too late from pen. With right wind can sail pen to ft walton then cross the ch? ,hard word, bay.Short motor trip to west bay panama city.Can sail w.bay panama city east bay area.Icw east bay to aplacholia pretty to me,probably have to motor here.Then sail aplac. to dog island,cross gulf with weather window.Sorry getting too long.marc

#17 ·
John,
I have been wanting to do the same for years. My thought was to go from brownsville or rockport around to Fl and the keys. That way you are working toward better and better water. Like you I'm in my 60s and will probably have to do it solo. I would probably stop every so often and fish where I found good water. I am thinking to take 4 months. I first had this idea about 10 years ago and since it has grown to a small fever. I grew up on the gulf and as a kid the islands off Alabama and Mississippi were magical and must be visited again.
I may be able to start this voyage in spring of 2012. If all goes well. I would enjoy hearing your ideas on your trip.
Dave

#19 · (Edited)
Wow, We too are in our late 60's, and live on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana. What a great idea and very doable for many of us. Great thread, thank you!! We are thinking of heading to the Keys in Oct./Nov. this year but are not sure about adding to that plan yet.

Years ago we had a friend who did something similar. He had some difficulties as he chose to cross from Mississippi to Veracruz and then head east, along the Mexican Coast to the tip of Yucatan and across to the Keys and back to N.O., La. along the coast. From Veracruz to the Yucatan it was all hard to weather in a 35' ketch. His wife left him after that leg and hasn't been seen since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.