Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011

deekrm is on a distinguished road
Feedback on CS 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
If you get the chance sometime look at a CS 36 or better yet a CS40. I don't suffer from being vertically challenged but have several friends that are and they are always commenting on the head room in our 40.
Jim
Jim, my husband and I are considering moving up to a CS 40. Our challenge is the CS 40's that are for sale are extremely far from where we live, so I'd appreciate your feedback before we invest in traveling. Any insights you can provide around the positives and negatives would be appreciated. Specifically, we have the following questions:

1. Is the hull cored below the waterline or is it just cored to the waterline on the Tony Castro designed models? Did you find any problems with delamination on your boat?
2. Did the shoal draft come with a wing keel? The listing has the draft listed as an "accurate" 5'3'', but the spec sheet has the wing keel listed as 5'8".
3. Can the traveler be moved to the top of the cabin so a full enclosure can be installed? The companion way seems really forward which may be a problem.
4. We don't have a good picture of the head. How large is the shower area?
5. What size is the icebox?
6. How would you characterize the storage on the boat? Would it be comfortable for cruising?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Renee
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Hi Renee
I'll be happy to help you as much as I can.
The hull is solid glass below the waterline.
I have the shoal draft that is a huge wing and is around 5' 10" draft.
The forward head is very roomy. There was also an option for a second head in the aft cabin which I have.
There were 2 versions for fridge/ freezer. The standard has a fridge that's about 3 cubic feet and a freezer thats about 1.5 cubic feet. Next to that under the counter is a decent size pantry that was converted into a larger freezer as an upgrade which I also have.
There are 2 setups for main sheeting. One that is boom end w/ the traveler in the cockpit in front of the helm and mid boom w/ the traveler at the front of the cockpit. I have boom end sheeting and have a full enclosure.
There were 2 transom designs also, one w/ a boarding platform and one w/o.
As an overall the craftsmanship of the boat is very nice. The wood work is well done. The boat is solid.
If you are compettive at all the boat is a blast to sail. Very sensitive to the helm but not overpowering.
We live aboard all summer cruising every weekend and spend a couple weeks away. Planning on extending that in the future.
Jim
Old 04-20-2011

Jim,

Thanks for your quick and thorough response. It is good to know the CS 40 is a blast to sail. Every boat we are looking at has various compromises. Working around a traveler in the cockpit is a definite concern. It is good to hear that you were able to install a full enclosure leaving the traveler in front of the helm. My biggest concern is staying out of the sun while sailing or the rain if the weather is bad. Were you able to install a bimini/dodger combination that covers the majority of the cockpit while underway? If you have any pictures that you can share, please send them.

Thanks again for all your help! No doubt you are looking forward to extending your cruising time.
Renee
Old 04-20-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Renee
We have a fixed bimini and dodger w/ a connector between the two that has a zipper for the main sheet. the connector can be in place to sail for sun protection. We have side clear curtains that easily install for cold or rainy days at anchor. It's supprising how much we use the side curtains. Makes the boat a lot warmer and adds another room to the boat on a crappy day when you would normally be stuck below. All our canvas is off the boat being redone at the moment and I don't have any photos of the new configuration. The new canvas should be on in about 2 weeks if mother nature cooperates. I will get some new pictures for you then.
I do have pictures of our previous cs 36 if it helps. The enclosure is the same just about half the size.
Jim
Old 04-21-2011

Jim,

Thanks for your willingness to send pictures. We can wait for your new installation on the CS40 since I doubt we will coordinate a trip to see the boat for sale before then. I've seen bimini's with zippers in them to accomodate the backstay, but not the mainsheet. I look forward to your pictures. We also want a screen enclosure to escape the mosquitoes as well as curtains for the weather. Very good to know both will be possible with this boat. Good luck with Mother Nature...she has been fierce lately.

Thanks Again!
Renee
Old 09-05-2011

Hi Jim,

I hope that you survived the wrath of Irene without any damage.

Just checking to see if you ever had the opportunity to take any pictures of your new bimini and full enclosure. This week my husband and I finally made it down to see the CS 40 for sale and are very interested in seeing how you made a full enclosure work with the traveler in the cockpit.

Thanks,
Renee