Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011

SPC is on a distinguished road
Upper torso height?

At maybe 6 feet even on a good day, I am not tall, and I don't think that I am unusually proportioned, but many 34 and under boats would have me whack the back of my head to sit on the settee and many of my guests will be taller than I am. Some larger boats have the same problem, the Tayana 37 for example.

This is a measurement that doesn't seem to be readily available, and I have made several trips of 3-4 hours to see boats that would limit me to cabin central settee extensions (U or L shaped) or the very bow end of cabin settees. This head-whack height dimension can also be a problem with Nav stations.

First, I am surprised that this is the case because I am not tall. Second, is there anyway to know in advance that this will be a problem? Third, does this dimension have a name that I can use when talking to brokers?

I am not adamantly opposed to bending a bit when standing, but I don't want to hit my head when seated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2011

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
sorry to burst your bubble, but in the world of sailboat interiors, you are tall.
I'm 6'2" and have the same dilemma. There are lots of boats with coachroofs that allow for the vertically gifted (or disadvantaged, depending on how you see it).
I spend alot of time slouching on my 29' mirage but also alot of time thanking the powers that be that im on a boat enjoying the sailors life.
My next boat will have more adequate headroom...
Old 04-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
It's called sitting height and there is also a sitting height ratio. I remember them from old football recruiting days, when the team doc would weigh, measure, poke and prod like you were an alien species.

I seem to recall that most people have a sitting height of less than half of their total height. I am 50/50, which was considered good for linebackers, I guess. Lower center of gravity. At 19 years old, I didn't really care. Not sure I do now either.

Anyway, sounds like you'd make a good linebacker too........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-09-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
lets face it by their very design and fuctions a sailboat's not the most comfortable vessel on the water,even the BIG expencive ones have comfort problems,there are how many models and multihulls,catermans and mono hulls,designed by some fairly inteligent people but every one has disavantages/advantages,taller/bigger people have space problems,shorter/smaller people have reaching/climbing problems,thats just the nature of the beast
Old 04-09-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
If you get the chance sometime look at a CS 36 or better yet a CS40. I don't suffer from being vertically challenged but have several friends that are and they are always commenting on the head room in our 40.
Jim
Old 04-09-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
That's one of the things I like about my Etap 26. It has about 5'11 at the center of the salon, and a little less as you go forward. The biggy though is that the seating headroom is comfortable for someone well over 6 feet.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 04-09-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Try a Tanzer 28 or an Irwin Citation 34. Have owned both and can sit comforatably anywhere you would normally sit.

On the Tanzer 28 when I went into the engine room to sit by the Yanmar and change the oil, I had to bend over a bit.

Rik
Old 04-09-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
San Juan 34, plenty of head room everywhere...and ok also on my bad days when i"m only 5'8"....sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 04-09-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Newport 28 here... Six feet of headroom down the middle, and sitting not a problem anywhere. I'd guess I have a good 18" over my head when sitting on the cabin settee, and I'm 5' 11".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 04-09-2011

Undine is on a distinguished road
I am only 5'8", but I sit taller than my Hubby who is 6'2". This has caused problems with cars as well as boats! I can't sit up without hitting my head in many small or sporty cars. Makes driving difficult. We have a Morgan 33 which has great headroom, except for a shelf which runs "above" the settee. We discovered that the seat back can be modified to "sit up straighter" (which I prefer) so that is on the project list. Meanwhile pillows help.