Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013

capnrick is on a distinguished road
Re: wire halyard winch

TQA - that looks like a real beast for sure. Technically, of course, it is not a halyard winch (unless the cable operating the centerboard is referred to as a halyard) but bear in mind that it is always under the load of whatever the weight of your centerboard is when it is being operated. Do you have a brake lever that you must tighten and loosen (or engage/disengage) to operate the winch? It looks like there is a gear reduction involved based on the location of the handle socket. You might try around the various sailing forums to see if you can locate a schematic if you can see a make and model number on it. Either way I would strongly recommend you find a sure way of taking the load off of it and making sure the centerboard is properly secured before you attempt to work on it.. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

The brakes fail on them and the handle ends up bashing someones skull in. They are dangerous, and went extinct for good reason.They also make raising a sail, and reefing , painfully slow.
Old 05-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

One point in their favour - you can buy them REALLY cheap at consignment shops.

If you get a later model Barient or Barlow you don't have to worry about feeding the wire - they have enclosed reels. Maintenance is more important because there is a safety factor to consider with them. Keeping the brake band clean & free of oil or grease is critical to their proper functioning.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-02-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnrick View Post
I am in the process of servicing my main halyard winch for the first time. I have broken it completely down and all of the parts including pawls, springs, gears and brake ring appear to be in fine condition. I suspect that (as with many other aspects of operating a good-sized boat) the relative safety of this device is more dependent on the user rather than just being "worthless" or "crap" as I have seen them described in other forums. This winch has been used many times to haul personnel (myself included) to the masthead with zero mishaps. I have replaced the halyard with a new length of 1/4" Krypton-D line and it seems thus far to be quite reliable. True, you gotta crank the sail all the way up but it only takes a few minutes and there are no line management issues. BTW the new line is very smooth and quiet rolling through the sheaves.
I've documented my work on my mast and rigging for my Ericson 25 on the links provided below. When I bought the boat, it had a wire-to-rope halyard that had caused some serious scoring of my mast winch. Unpleased with this set-up, I converted to an all-rope halyard.

Regards,
Roscoe

The Ericson 25, a Trailerable Cruiser: Rigging - a Tutorial

The Ericson 25, a Trailerable Cruiser: Winch, Barlow 16 Top Action Ratchet

converting from wire-rope halyard to all-rope
Old 05-02-2013
Banned

I sailed my first boat to New Zealand with an all rope halyard. It stretched every time I shook a reef out of it. It chafed thru and forced me to go aloft in a bosuns chair singlehanded at sea. Converted to wire in New Zealand and wouldn't consider anything else. I put a hard eye on the ends of the wire, and put the rope tail thru the eye, with a knot in the end of the rope , and made it just long enough so it ends just above the winch, making for no wire around the winch, only rope. I have thus had no need for a rope to wire splice. Works well.
Old 05-02-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I am interested in this discussion as I have a wire halyard winch on my centerboard.

I have yet to service it but it is a worry as I have no clue as to how it comes apart and am sure that spares are not available.

From Hoot Mon
We have the same winch for our board as well. I'm not at all interested in trying to service it as I agree that parts are probably not available. I lubricate it periodically with PB Blaster and that seems to keep it working well. I do not believe it has a brake, only the reduction gear. Our board is somewhere around 2500# and the winch holds it fine in every condition we have so far encountered
The only saving grace is that should it be necessary to disassemble it, being bronze, with patience, heat and a touch of luck the job could be done without damaging anything.
You might want to get a cover for it?
Old 05-02-2013
Banned

Because of the short travel distance and the lighter loads , a centreboatrd winch may be the only practical use for such a winch. Otherwise, their scrap bronze value may be greater than their use value.
Old 05-03-2013

capnrick is on a distinguished road

Brent, you should try some of the newer, low stretch ropes with cores of Dyneema or Spectra. They basically don't stretch until they are loaded to the breaking point.
Old 05-03-2013
Banned

They are far less chafe resitant than wire. Dont like going aloft single handed in mid ocean, to replace chafed thru halyards.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 05-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.