Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2001

walt123 is on a distinguished road
wire halyard winch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2001

suedebriar is on a distinguished road
wire halyard winch

Even though I didn''t find anything in this thread it reminded me of a question that I have about wire halyard winchs. I sailed with one on an old classic sloop in years gone by. I now have a classic again and would like to find out if anyone knows any reason not to return to a wire halyard winch. I aleady know about the fact that as the halyard is raised the purchase gets weeker. This is because the wire winds around the winch and makes the drum larger. The winch handle also can be scary if you don''t keep a good grip on it. I really like the fact that you can wind the halyard up and it doesn''t end up on the deck or cockpit. A nice bronze wire winch looks good attached to the mast where the sail should be raised not from the cockpit where it takes a minimum of two people to do a simple single handed job.
I would just like to have some other input. I may be missing something.
Old 02-21-2001

walt123 is on a distinguished road
wire halyard winch

Suedebriar, I was looking for a wire halyard winch this month and got no responses on this net. If your boat is a classic and had wire winches to begin with try Steve@seachestmarine.com I obtained 2 number 4 barlow wire winches and I know he has at least one Barient #3. Safe or un safe I really dont know my Cal 43 has had a wire main halyard winch for 30 years and it only had to be replaced when the base cracked. Classic boats need orginal gear
Old 02-21-2001

paulk is on a distinguished road
wire halyard winch

Classic boats also often lacked lifelines- look at the pictures in the Rosenfield Collection at Mystic. Wire reel halyard winches - if that is what you''re discussing- are DANGEROUS, just like not having lifelines. Wrapping the wire on a tight radius where it can chafe against itself helps promote ''soldiers'' in the wire that cause painful and bloody cuts, because unless the wire is guided onto the reel by hand it bunches and gets kinked. The brake can be left off while hoisting, or released by accident so that the winch handle ''kicks'' back, surprising jaws or other bones to the breaking point. This can also bloody the nearby deck and/or sails. The brake is not easily controlled, so sailors are tempted to put the winch handle in before releasing it for a reef. This again leads to the ''surprised bone syndrome'' discussed above. A winch that is dangerous to start with means servicing it to keep it operating properly is all the more important, and it isn''t getting easier to get parts. Beyond the safety issue, all-wire halyards are also heavier, weaker, and more expensive than modern synthetic line. They don''t use them now for good reason. They didn''t have blowers in the ''good old days'', but you wouldn''t sail with a gas engine without one now. Rigging something different will provide one less thing to worry about when you''re sailing, and isn''t sailing all about leaving our worries behind?
nolatom likes this.
Old 05-01-2013

capnrick is on a distinguished road
Re: wire halyard winch

I am in the process of servicing my main halyard winch for the first time. I have broken it completely down and all of the parts including pawls, springs, gears and brake ring appear to be in fine condition. I suspect that (as with many other aspects of operating a good-sized boat) the relative safety of this device is more dependent on the user rather than just being "worthless" or "crap" as I have seen them described in other forums. This winch has been used many times to haul personnel (myself included) to the masthead with zero mishaps. I have replaced the halyard with a new length of 1/4" Krypton-D line and it seems thus far to be quite reliable. True, you gotta crank the sail all the way up but it only takes a few minutes and there are no line management issues. BTW the new line is very smooth and quiet rolling through the sheaves.
Old 05-02-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

How did you enjoy the ride down from the masthead using a wire-reel halyard winch? Easing off the brake to allow a controlled, slow descent must have been interesting for both of you. Using a synthetic line does avoid the problem with wire soldiers, but with at least one caveat: a weaknesses of many modern lines is that despite being very strong, they often do NOT like being turned over a short radius. The sharp bends tend to crack the fibers and can result in the line's breaking. We had this happen to us with a 1/2" kevlar genoa halyard parting where it went over the sheave in the mast. Depending upon the specific fiber being used, wrapping essentially half the halyard's length on a tight spool might shorten its expected lifespan considerably. Krypton-D line may avoid this problem by having a braided core, which would be less susceptible to the compression/elongation issues of going over a sheave than a parallel-fiber line. Dyneema (Spectra, et al) may also perform better in this application than Kevlar would. Raising and lowering the sail with a reel winch is still a hassle, however, and the winch handle/brake combination is still dangerous to use.
Old 05-02-2013

capnrick is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: wire halyard winch

The Lewmar winch I have has a very sturdy braking band and it allows for a nice, controlled descent if you keep it tight enough to maintain friction. As with any time you go aloft in a bosun's chair, you help the person winching by taking up your own weight when possible, and ALWAYS use an extra safety line. The Krypton-D rope has a very good bend radius and I would trust it both for its main purpose and also for the occasional person-lifting task. I concede that the casual user might very well get caught unawares and end up with an injury caused by the winch handle, but if you know the equipment and its possible hazards I maintain that it is safe.
Old 05-02-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Though many I have spoken with feel wire winches to be quite dangerous (I saw no such danger when I sailed with them in the 60's and 70's??), with today's roller furling sails, I can't understand why the are not coming back into use. After all, it's not like we are putting our sails up and down very often (once or twice a year perhaps, to check things, for us) and I for one am sincerely tired of having a coil of line at each winch that is basically useless and a pain to keep looking shipshape.
We have two spinnaker halyards for getting aloft so that isn't a problem.
I have been unsuccessful in my search for a pair for the main and head sail, but should I find a pair of suitable size at a reasonable cost (they are not objects de art or collectable antiques for heaven's sake, they are obsolete boat gear), I'd grab them in a heart beat. Anyone got a pair?
Old 05-02-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
--- I can't understand why the are not coming back into use. After all, it's not like we are putting our sails up and down very often (once or twice a year perhaps, to check things, for us) ---
I guess if you have all roller furling that removes a lot of objections. I used to have wire winches on a boat years ago and once I learned to respect them they functioned ok, but I much prefer rope winches.
Old 05-02-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I am interested in this discussion as I have a wire halyard winch on my centerboard.

I have yet to service it but it is a worry as I have no clue as to how it comes apart and am sure that spares are not available.

From Hoot Mon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.