Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011

newpbs is on a distinguished road
Toilet Size?

Tom,

Looks like a nice job. Did you install a standard tiny marine toilet? I can't tell for sure from the photos. When I upgraded my toilet last year I went for the larger bowl. It's a bit more comfortable to sit on and a better target while under way. A worthwhile upgrade.

Speaking of venting, I'd like to find a 1 or 1.25 inch vent to ad to my tank. I've shopped around and they do not seem to exist. 5/8 inch seems to be standard and it really does not offer any air exchange at all.

PAUL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Stainless, bronze, or Marelon, they come in all sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
So, I Installed a New Toilet-1.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011

newpbs is on a distinguished road
Vents

HTML Code:
Stainless, bronze, or Marelon, they come in all sizes.
I'm not having any trouble locating a large variety of through hull fittings. I'm asking about vents. The appropriate fitting would be chrome finished and have a fine mesh screen to keep critters out. The largest that I have come across was 3/4 and rather ugly.
Old 04-11-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The problem with vents is they are too small. That is why the through hulls are a better idea. They make good vents and allow for good airflow.
Old 04-11-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If at all possible, I would highly recommend a larger holding tank. One of the biggest reasons that waste lines stink is that way too little fresh water is flushed behind the waste to clear them out and push the nastiness all the way to the tank. That can require a full gallon of water for each flush, although, that highly depends on how far away the tank is.
For this reason I am about to take out my marine head and replace it with the Porta-Potti that I've had unused in the basement for 20 years.

I also only have a 6 gallon holding tank. I spoke to a previous owner who told me he replaced the 12 gallon tank because it was rubbing against the steering cables. When I looked over the installation I did not like what I saw. The holding tank is significantly higher than the toilet, so you've got to pump uphill. If your seals aren't perfect, everything in the hose will gradually come back into the toilet bowl. There's about 6' of 1.5" ID hose, connected to about 2' of what looks to be about 2.5" ID hose. That's a dead volume of over 1 gallon, so you need to flush with at least that much water, and actually more if you realize that the flow is not perfect plug flow. (Sorry for the engineer-speak.) So you get less than 6 flushes from the darned thing, or have to accept pee and whatever else backing up in the toilet bowl.

To make matters worse, my marina's pump-out station malfunctions over 80% of the time. The suction pump is located on short 150' from the suction hose (which is at the gas dock), and 4-10' higher (depending on tide), so it won't prime itself. I told them they need a priming pump at the gas dock to push river water through the empty hose back to the suction pump, but they won't listen.

My Thetford 155s has a 4.3 gal waste tank, but will accommodate about 45 flushes because there's no dead volume to fill. I'll keep the holding tank and hoses in place (plugged, of course) so I can reinstall it if I ever sell the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-12-2011 at 08:11 AM.