Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Wasp deterrent

I've got very persistent wasps who want to build a nest in my anchor locker and under one of the bench seats.
What have you used to keep them away?

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011

coultereng is on a distinguished road
If you find an answer to that problem, see if you can find a solution to keeping spiders off the boat.
Old 04-10-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Put up a martin house and try to attract a flock? They eat wasps.

I like to try nature first...usually if there's an imbalance of one insect it's because something is missing in the food chain. I hate using pesticides on my lawn or garden unless absolutely necessary....kill one thing and it knocks the whole system off balance.

Except fire ants. All bets are off with those little f$%#@#! Kill them in every way possible. Mass genocide. They all must die. Terrible, suffering deaths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-10-2011

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Reposted for the humor of the story!
Stede <****** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_44213", true);

The Swarm

Due to work commitments, etc., I hadn''t been able to get down to my boat in awhile. This last weekend my brother was visiting so I invited him to go sailing with me. When we arrived at the slip, I went down below and found a huge active mud-dobbers nest by my fold up bulkhead mounted table. After obtaining some of the 20 ft.reach hornet spray, I doused them good, and they dropped as soon as the stuff hit''em.I started gathering up the carcasses and then noticed a hornet flying behind my vhf. I peered around it carefully and found a hornets nest the size of your open hand with about 30 of the little buggers peering back at me licking their chops! They were the bad-ass type, with attitude. I went up on deck, leaned in the companionway and doused them real good. Unlike the mud-dobbers dropping immediately, the spray seemed to just piss the hornets off. They came out with a vengeance. After what seemed like an eternity of swatting, dodging, and spraying, the enemy retreated. I felt good about the defense my brother and I had put up and the fact that we had prevailed. There wasn’t any wind, so I suggested to my brother that we motor down to a little restaurant about 1 mile away and get some lunch. After we had been underway for awhile, I went down below to get a cold drink. I peered around the vhf again to make sure there weren’t any hornets regrouping for a second attack. Sure enough, there were about 8 or so of the little devils bug eyeing me and rubbing their legs together like they do. They knew I had the “weapon of mass destruction.” I sprayed them again and they came out looking for their pound of flesh! My brother was at the wheel and they went after him first. Obviously their strategy was to take out the wheel man, which would create a diversion for the following full out assault. As my brother was swatting at them, he was jerking the wheel this way and that, which was tossing me about. I was going down, but continued firing off rounds with the “weapon of mass destruction.”. Bodies of the enemy lay about the cockpit. The battle eventually subsided, and all was calm again. The lesson learned? Never spray a hornets nest while under way boss! There’s no where to run!!!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 04-10-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I've killed hornets, red wasps, yellow jackets, etc... using Black Flag wasp and hornet killer--always dropped them in their tracks--but you had to hit them good. A little vapor or a few droplets just pissed them off.

I don't know of a sailboat that is not a spider haven as well. The rigging, lifelines, anchor rode, everything, seems to be perfect for them to weave a web. I did find some spider spray at Home Depot that killed them upon contact, and also found some spray called Spider Not that I sprayed the dock-lines with that kept them from migrating from using the lines as a bridge to the boat. They can, however, just wait for a slight breeze in the direction of the boat, shoot out a length of web and ride it to the boat.

I discovered the best time to nail the spiders is just after sundown, when they're coming out to build new webs to catch the evening meal. During the day they tend to hide anyplace they can find that out of the direct rays of the sun. Some of the best locations tend to be the bilge vents, uncapped openings at the ends of rails, and of course, the anchor locker openings. They also like to hide beneath the sail covers, the underside of rub rails and within the folds of roller-furled jib sail--locations where you would not dare use any kind of spray for fear of damaging the sail material.

One of the ways of keeping wasps and spiders out of the cabin is to cover the back side of the hatch vent(s) with screening. Granted, a few will eventually find their way inside, but the larger wolf spiders usually can make their way through the smaller cracks.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 04-10-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Try hanging a crumpled bag in the vicinity. Wasps think it is another wasp net, they are territorial.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-10-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
There are all kinds of Yellow Jacket traps on the market if
you have the time to set them. One easy way is to suspend
a piece of meat over a large pot of water. They will eat to the
point of falling in the water and drowning. A small cup of
pancake batter over the water also works. If you use the spray
on a nest make sure you have a backup can ready to go. The
spray usually stops them dead but may not get into all the cracks
& crevices, it really makes them mad if they live through it.
Good to have an escape route ready, hard to escape very far
on a boat, though. Be careful, they are double nasty and the
stings really hurt. Some people are really allergic to the stings.

Dabnis
Old 04-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
My favorite story is about a guy that waited until night, doused a nest in a tree with gasoline and lit it on fire. Yes, the entire tree caught fire, fell on his house which also caught fire. Very effective on the wasps.

Based on that lesson learned..... open the seacock to your engine, cut the line right off. I give the wasps about 30 minutes.

Or try the crumpled bag thing first.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-10-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Try hanging a crumpled bag in the vicinity. Wasps think it is another wasp net, they are territorial.

I might try this.

Regarding spiders-sometimes things get interesting. A small black jumping type spider got pissed off about me messing with some reefing lines. He jumped down on deck where another spider of the same species was sitting. The one on deck immediately ran towards the recently evicted spider and they had a death match right there on deck. It was quite gory.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 04-10-2011

Dfok is on a distinguished road
death of insects is in proportion to the can used to kill them, seemingly regardless of the contents of the can. IE - a 16 oz propane can kills more than a 12 oz bug killer but not as much as a 20 pound propane tank (if properly aimed). Note the 20 pound tank will damage gel coat, fiberglass and lead keel but it will also KILL BUGS. Aim and patience is key.