Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Sailbooat Grounded on Mustang Island, Texas

This happened just a few miles from my marina. We drove over and checked it out. I hope this NEVER happens to me.

Man Stranded near Mustang Island Rescued - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

These guys had bad luck. They left Port Isabel for Port Aransas. It is about 200 nm with nowhere to stop because of the barrier island. The one cut is currently silted up and not passable. They were in 10 foot seas but doing OK. In a bad thunderstorm, they got hit by a water spout. It shredded the jib and ripped the boom off at the gooseneck. They went closer to shore and anchored to assess the damage. Their anchor rode broke so they started motoring in 8 foot seas with 20-25 knot winds. They decided that they were closer to Port Aransas so they headed that direction. Eight miles short of the jetties, they ran out of fuel at 11 PM. They tossed both anchors in but neither would catch in the 8 foot seas. They called the Coast Guard but by the time the CG got there, they were too close to shore. They became beached with waves breaking over the boat and were pushed all the way to the shore. When we saw the boat, it had wallowed out a hole in the sand and was upright just a few feet out. They have made arrangements to get a big tow boat out tonight at high tide and pull them out.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
This happened just a few miles from my marina. We drove over and checked it out. I hope this NEVER happens to me.

Man Stranded near Mustang Island Rescued - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

These guys had bad luck. They left Port Isabel for Port Aransas. It is about 200 nm with nowhere to stop because of the barrier island. The one cut is currently silted up and not passable. They were in 10 foot seas but doing OK. In a bad thunderstorm, they got hit by a water spout. It shredded the jib and ripped the boom off at the gooseneck. They went closer to shore and anchored to assess the damage. Their anchor rode broke so they started motoring in 8 foot seas with 20-25 knot winds. They decided that they were closer to Port Aransas so they headed that direction. Eight miles short of the jetties, they ran out of fuel at 11 PM. They tossed both anchors in but neither would catch in the 8 foot seas. They called the Coast Guard but by the time the CG got there, they were too close to shore. They became beached with waves breaking over the boat and were pushed all the way to the shore. When we saw the boat, it had wallowed out a hole in the sand and was upright just a few feet out. They have made arrangements to get a big tow boat out tonight at high tide and pull them out.
Sounds like some bad choices, too (not enough gas; wrong weather window). But is is a shame.
Old 04-10-2011

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post

Sounds like some bad choices, too (not enough gas; wrong weather window). But is is a shame.
Old 04-10-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ouch! It actually looked like a pretty reasonable outcome in the vid. If they can get pulled off, I'd say they did okay.

Bad choices have little to do with getting slammed by a water spout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-10-2011

Dfok is on a distinguished road
To paraphrase AND Agree with Smack, it was a great day to sail until that water spout (read TORNADO over water) hit us. Who can plan for that?
When everyone insists on optimum conditions at all times no one ever gets past the margarita blender on the beach. Better to wait for tomorrow's weather to arrive today for assessment.
Life, sailing, going to the grocery store or bathroom require risk. Immediate "wrong skipper, wrong boat, wrong weather, wrong season, wrong right, wrong wrong" is tiresome kneejerk crap. Sometimes the best intentions fall short of the best reality.
If sailing were as safe as standing up next to your padded pillow would you bother to do it?
**** happens; when it does it cares not for the good or bad choices you made beforehand. **** is elastic in the worst sense - there will always be the capacity for more **** than you want or can deal with; until you deal with it. Or fail.
Reasonably the day may come when the **** wins and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Some sailor somewhere is having that day right now. When all the preparation, skill and knowledge is exhausted it may only be the best wishes of a bunch of armchair or slightly above armchair sailors best thoughts and wishes that keep him afloat.
Why not wish and assume the best for those facing the worst?
Crapping on the efforts and abilities of folks floating our dreams is the antithesis of the sailing ethos.
**** happens; if it has not happened to you it may be because you are smarter or more well prepared, or maybe bigger **** is in store and just around the corner.
When it hits do you really think you'll need a ton of folks on the side of the ****?

When it does sometimes it is just **** ---- no one is the lesser person, it just happened.
Old 04-10-2011

Holy ****! you can now say **** on the internet but you cant say ****? ****!, No ---- Bull ****!
Old 04-10-2011

20 asterisks in a 20 word post! Gotta be a record!
Old 04-10-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
20 asterisks in a 20 word post! Gotta be a record!
Glad to hear your ok hope the Boat is in good shape and you can get her out and back out Sailing soon.
Old 04-10-2011

guess all those asterisks turned my head, on 1951 typewriters that was the equivalent of Ike's stars.
Not me or my boat but I share your best wishes for all sailors, especially those run afoul or aground.

Last edited by Dfok; 04-10-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: expanding my best wishes
Old 04-11-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Seems their black box was about empty (for those who don't understand, click the link below).

The Black Box Theory: Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water . . . Why is it that some sailors go quietly about their business, consistently making quick, safe, and satisfying passages, while others lurch erratically from port to p

Still, a bad day sailing, nobody should have that happen to them.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke