webcam lookout - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 04-11-2011

You'd still have to run a wire up the mast, the camera will require power.

You'd have to go with a mechanically stabalized camera... no software can compensate for the movements of a boat.

I think your money would be better spent on a pair of gyro binoculars.

Caribbean 50 Ketch
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2011

With modern accelerometers going into just about every device imaginable, I'd bet you could do all the image stablization in software. I don't believe that no software could compensate for the movement of a boat. There's a contest in the robotics field in which cameras are mounted to autonomous helicopters, and computers in the helicopters have to navigate a complex course and fly through a window into a building. No boat's motion is as noisy and complex as a four-foot-long gas-powered helicopter.

I have been daydreaming lately about just such a device as well. I have no practical use for such a thing, but it would be cool. Lots of research robots use such cameras for 360 viewing, so it should be easy to get your hands on one. From there, how hard would it be to write a program that does image processing to recognize the presence of other ships, by their lights or hull shape? Especially against the backdrop against an otherwise empty horizon (during the day at least).

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
s/v Essorant - 1972 Catalina 27
post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0w0rries View Post
You'd still have to run a wire up the mast, the camera will require power.
Tap into an existing light wire, and run a simple rectifier/diode setup so you can drive one or both depending on polarity. That would be a relatively simple circuit that would cost a couple of dollars, and could easily be encased in epoxy to keep the elements out.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-11-2011

i was just thinking it would be cool to be able to mount a cam on the trailing edge of a keel. idea being to watch prop and rudder.

second thought was, if i have money to do that i should spend it on a bigger boat.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-11-2011

I know what is being proposed is a bit different, but Raymarine does have cameras that can integrate with their latest chartplotters. Night vision to boot. I suspect there is a way to have it talk back to a computer, which may then be transmittable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.