Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Why so many Jeanneau's...

...in the Carib 1500 and Atlantic Cup?

Jeanneau's are not all that common yet they are well represented in these long distance offshore events. Why is that? They don't seem to me to be vastly more suited to offshore work than Beneteau's or Catalina's of similar size but it seems there are more Jeanneau's than any other boat among the ralliers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A discerning group to be sure.

I wonder what the relative number of sales units are between the three manufacturers. I know they sold roughly 800 copies of my boat from '03 to roughly '07, when they discontinued it and radically changed the fit and finish. For a mid-line production boat, I consider mine to have pretty good fit and finish. The more recent Bene's and Jeanneau's have adopted the manufactured teak and substantially degraded the equipment onboard. The point is, they reduced the cost substantially as well and may be selling even more than before. You can buy a brand new Jeanneau 53, which is substantially the exactly layout of my boat, for roughly what mine is worth used. There is a reason and it could be driving volume of units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-11-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I have not studied it lately, but I do know that in past years there have been many similar boats in rallies like the ARC. Many of them are being moved on their own bottoms to the Caribbean to be placed in charter service. In the ARC, you would see them registered, sometimes with the same "owner" indicated for multiple boats, for the downwind run to the Carribean, but then you'd look at the return ARC-Europe roster and none of them would be going back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-11-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
JP, pretty good theory. I haven't studied this, but last last winter it seemed there were quite a few more Beneteaus on charter around the BVIs than Jeanneaus. Can't speak for all the Caribbean.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-11-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
MANY of the Jeanneau and Bene's for that matter will be doing this. BUT, even if you look at the non multiple owner list, you will see the Jeanneau's with one of if not the most boat models. Then again, being as they are the LARGEST volume boat manufacture in the world, it would make sense that there are more of them than other boats on the list. Yes they are bigger than the parent Beneteau! They also have a large line of Power boats mind you, as does Beneteau. IIRC last fall, Jeanneau had 3 BOTY winners in the European group, one was a power boat.

If you look at the upcoming Transquandra fleet, an "OVER 40" double singlehanded race from Fr to the med in boats under 40', 1/4 of the fleet are Jeanneaus, with MOST being the SF3200. Which was designed for this race.

There are many folks on the jeanneau-owners site that sail there boats on open waters from 36 and up. Many in Europe sail the SO29 and up boats across the channel etc down to the med. Including older boats like my Arcadia.

Catalina and Hunter build WAY fewer boats than Jeanneau or Beneteau. I would not be surprised if together they build half or less of the volume Jeanneau or Beneteau build.

Marty
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
MANY of the Jeanneau and Bene's for that matter will be doing this. BUT, even if you look at the non multiple owner list, you will see the Jeanneau's with one of if not the most boat models. Then again, being as they are the LARGEST volume boat manufacture in the world, it would make sense that there are more of them than other boats on the list. Yes they are bigger than the parent Beneteau! They also have a large line of Power boats mind you, as does Beneteau. IIRC last fall, Jeanneau had 3 BOTY winners in the European group, one was a power boat.

If you look at the upcoming Transquandra fleet, an "OVER 40" double singlehanded race from Fr to the med in boats under 40', 1/4 of the fleet are Jeanneaus, with MOST being the SF3200. Which was designed for this race.

There are many folks on the jeanneau-owners site that sail there boats on open waters from 36 and up. Many in Europe sail the SO29 and up boats across the channel etc down to the med. Including older boats like my Arcadia.

Catalina and Hunter build WAY fewer boats than Jeanneau or Beneteau. I would not be surprised if together they build half or less of the volume Jeanneau or Beneteau build.

Marty
I know they build a lot of boats, but not that many make it over here. In the US, you see far more Catalina's, Beneteau's and Hunters than Jeanneau's. That being the case, it still seems odd to me that so many boats participating in a rally to/from the US East Coast are Jeanneau's.

It wouldn't be suprising at all to me to see a high percentage of Jeanneau's in a similar Euopean based event.

There are aspects of the way Jeanneau builds boats that I think are superior to some other production boats, but the huge "picture windows" in their recent boats don't seem well suited to sailing far offshore.
Old 04-12-2011

JEanneau started about a year ago, maybe 2 now max, building at the SC plant where Bene builds boats. So far only the 36i and 39i. Plans were/are in the works for the 30 and 33. But with new models coming out, not sure if the smaller ones will make it. Hopefully so.

Jeanneau does sell there boats as ocean capable, many do sail the oceans. Local dealer owner took a 49iP to Oz and back from the seattle area with wife and twin daughters a few years back. I've seen a pic where one of the daughters was steering the boat doing 15-18 knots with AS up in 20-30' seas, and mid 20 knot winds. This boat any way, very capable off shore. Another fellow took a 39iP from Lk Ontario to the med and back with his family.

Window wise. not sure what to say about it.... altho some of the newer models are like my mid 80's model, where it appears like the window is huge, but the actual openings are smaller once you get inside. As the windows are a large single piece of plexiglass in my case, put on the fiberglass cabin shell, with plywood on the inside. Appears to be about 1x5', but there are two aprox 8x16" windows in this area.

I have not heard of any windows breaking on the owners site. If there would have been, I am sure someone would have posted not only there, but here or equal as well too. Then again, it only takes one major issue sometimes for folks to go haywire on the net these days.........

I'm not going to say Jeanneau's are better built per say than H, C or B's, but certainly on par to a skoosh above IMHO. They are still built like many to a price point. Certainly do not try to compare one to a Swan or Oyster! I do feel they are one of the better common built ones, this includes a few brands that are close to as big in Europe. Europe seems to have MANY builders around like NA had in the 60's to early 80's, many brands to choose from, but the luxury tax killed a lot of them. Elan, Salona, Delphia are some others with similar build you do not see too many over here.

Marty
Old 04-12-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Just an observation... The interior joinery on the Jeanneau's that I looked at in Annapolis a few years ago had genuine wood grained vinyl over particle board cabinetry! Hope it doesn't get wet.
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
JEanneau started about a year ago, maybe 2 now max, building at the SC plant where Bene builds boats. So far only the 36i and 39i. Plans were/are in the works for the 30 and 33. But with new models coming out, not sure if the smaller ones will make it. Hopefully so.

Jeanneau does sell there boats as ocean capable, many do sail the oceans. Local dealer owner took a 49iP to Oz and back from the seattle area with wife and twin daughters a few years back. I've seen a pic where one of the daughters was steering the boat doing 15-18 knots with AS up in 20-30' seas, and mid 20 knot winds. This boat any way, very capable off shore. Another fellow took a 39iP from Lk Ontario to the med and back with his family.

Window wise. not sure what to say about it.... altho some of the newer models are like my mid 80's model, where it appears like the window is huge, but the actual openings are smaller once you get inside. As the windows are a large single piece of plexiglass in my case, put on the fiberglass cabin shell, with plywood on the inside. Appears to be about 1x5', but there are two aprox 8x16" windows in this area.

I have not heard of any windows breaking on the owners site. If there would have been, I am sure someone would have posted not only there, but here or equal as well too. Then again, it only takes one major issue sometimes for folks to go haywire on the net these days.........

I'm not going to say Jeanneau's are better built per say than H, C or B's, but certainly on par to a skoosh above IMHO. They are still built like many to a price point. Certainly do not try to compare one to a Swan or Oyster! I do feel they are one of the better common built ones, this includes a few brands that are close to as big in Europe. Europe seems to have MANY builders around like NA had in the 60's to early 80's, many brands to choose from, but the luxury tax killed a lot of them. Elan, Salona, Delphia are some others with similar build you do not see too many over here.

Marty
I haven't looked into prices on new boats so perhaps there is a cost driver. As you mention Beneteau has been building boats in SC for quite a while and it would seem they are comparable in quality of build to the Jeanneau's which are only recently being built in the US and then not the models I've seen listed as participants in the events I mentioned.

Perhaps the Jeanneau's are a bargain compared to similarly capable boats from B or C.
Old 04-12-2011

Locally, Seattle, the prices for the 36 and 39 went down about 20G, a 39 now sells for a bit more than the 36 did. 180 now 160'ish for the 36, the 39's went from just over 200 now in the mid to upper 180 range.Needless to say, pricey to ship across the pond!

But I do feel you get a bit better bang for a jeanneau than B or C. J's have generally speaking, sailed better than C's which sail better than B cruise side, and H's for sure. The B 1st series would smoke most recent J's excepting the SF3200, which would be on par with an equal design B, not that there is one per say, actually as I type, the Figaro series would be equal, which is not sold or marketed in NA, the sf3200 is.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.