SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   question on Rhodes 22 furling main (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/73569-question-rhodes-22-furling-main.html)

adam333 04-11-2011 01:06 PM

question on Rhodes 22 furling main

Does anybody have a rhodes 22? I just bought one and want to know how the main stays up on the mast. It doesnt have a halyard or downhaul so I have no clue.

Also, its a little tough to reel in the main, any ideas there?

Thanks
Roca

MarkCK 04-11-2011 01:10 PM

It doesn't have a rope (halyard) to raise the mast? It should have one, if it doesn't you need to replace the one that is missiing.

adam333 04-11-2011 01:14 PM

ohhh boy, it was a pain in the butt to put that mast up. It has a topping lift, outhaul and inhaul(if thats what you call it)

MarkCK 04-11-2011 01:17 PM

It's always easier to step the mast the second time that you do it. You learn more of the little nuances of what works best every time you do it. It's hard to believe the the main halyard is missing. I would have thought the previous owner would have pointed that out.

nolatom 04-11-2011 03:52 PM

Good for you. Not sure of your terminology, but the pull-sail-up line is the halyard; the keep-boom end-from crashing into the cockpit when you lower the halyard (if you have one) is the topping lift, and the line that lets the sail in and out once it's hoisted, is the mainsheet. If it's tough to 'reel in' the main, check your blocks (pulleys) for freedom of movement and that the block-and-tackle arrangement isn't chafing against itself. The outhaul you know about.

adam333 04-11-2011 04:36 PM

Nolatom,
Thanks for the reply Yea my terminology for "inhaul", I was joking. Been sailing for 20 years, just new to this furling main. Its an IMF (inner mast furling) so the "inhaul" i was calling the line that furls the main back into the mast.

Just got off the phone with the manufacture, he said they dont have halyards (first for me!)

MarkCK 04-11-2011 04:41 PM

No lines to raise the main? So how does that work.

adam333 04-11-2011 05:01 PM

(im guessing here) The main spins on a metal rod.
I dont understand it, with time the sail will bag out and it would be nice to trim that sail down.

Roca

MarkCK 04-11-2011 05:13 PM

So you have to attache the mainsail to the mast before you step it, and then it unfurls as you need it. But once it is up there is no way to get it down without unstepping the mast? I know its a trailer sailor and they are meant to be stepped/unstepped fairly easy but I think I am missiing something here.

It's probably pretty obvious I am just being particularly obtuse today.

adam333 04-11-2011 08:32 PM

Right. So it fuels inside the mast when I need to put it away