SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Swinging Boom, How do you stop it???? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/7363-swinging-boom-how-do-you-stop.html)

coriffithq 07-02-2003 04:19 AM

Swinging Boom, How do you stop it????

Help,

Can someone tell me what is the correct procedure to stop a boom from swinging from the leeward to the windward side, in quick succession? This happened to me when I left the dock on my first solo sail yesterday. My instructor gave me a very complicated answer that I did not fully understand. Any assistyance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

SailinJay 07-02-2003 05:43 AM

The simple answer would be to haul in on your main sheet until there is little or no movement of the boom. The more it is eased, the greater the movement from one side to the other when you change course.

Sailmc 07-02-2003 06:59 AM

If this happened while you were attempting to change course the previous answers are the ones you need. If this happened while you were trying to maintain a downwind course you need a preventer. This is a line or tackle attached to the boom and your toe rail. This will prevent an accidental gybe caused by the helmsman or a wave rolling the boat.

coriffithq 07-02-2003 07:36 AM

Thanks, appreicate your asistance

coriffithq 07-02-2003 07:37 AM

Thanks for your assistance...

BigRed56 07-04-2003 03:08 PM

Ahoy, stand on your tippe toes and catch it with your head. What ever you do do not get blood on the deck! Pirate of Pine Island.

coriffithq 07-07-2003 10:55 AM

Thnaks for your friendly advice, but I prefer not to follow the advice of someone that is so ignorant, that they would offer a beginner such uncredible advice. Well so much for the seamanship comaraderie.

kokopelli9 07-07-2003 01:52 PM

A very important thing to remember while learning to sail is to keep your wits about you and never leave home without your sense of humor! Can''t you tell when a pirate is pulling your peg leg...well, actually the part about the blood on the deck is good advice ''cause it can be hell to get that stain off the deck!

jb2of3 07-07-2003 03:55 PM

I will side with Koko on this one. And give you another thought from those of us who have experienced both the embarrassements and successes of sailing. Some of the people I depend on the most over 26 years of being on the water are those who still give me crap about getting knocked on my backside. As a general rule you and I and everyone else will always be stupid, it just depends on what you talk about. I know about respiratory and metabolic acidosis and alkylosis. If you ask me about wether you need to mount a backing plate for a bow pulpit that pulled itself out of the fiberglass I am going to ship you off to bigRed or somebody with his level of experience. I know now, not a month ago but I am still going to ship you off. Just because someone gives you random crap, does not mean they will not be there to pull you off a sand bar. They will give you crap for the rest of your life, but they will be there. I may suffer the same fate as you for an incorrect paraphrase but I believe what bigRed was indicating in his own sweet way, was that you have an instructor, paid or unpaid, his responsibility is to make himself understood. I have never met anyone who has not knocked themselves in the head, I probably wouldn''t sail with them if they hadn''t. I have never learned quite as much quite as fast as being knocked on my backside in front of spectators.
Bottom line. We were not there, the best we can offer is speculation. The instructor would have known what the wind conditions were, wether there was a current present as you cleared the pier, the tide, where the tiller was or the wheel position, what the apparent wind was. The sailing community is kind of like the water itself. It has moods and tudes, it is not always embracing, but even in its fury there will always be something to appreciate about it. Enough of my babbling. Get out there and sail. But do not judge the experience levels of people by wether they give you crap or not.

coriffithq 07-08-2003 06:42 AM

Thank you very much for your eloquent opinion. You know what, you are right, I will get out there and sail....