Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Accidental Collections

Today is Battery Day here at stately Jones manor, which got me contemplating the stupid number of flashlights I have. I realized that I never intended to have this many lights, it just sorta happened. Same thing with utility knives. I must have at least a dozen. A friend of mine has almost two dozen tape measures. Tape measures, for pete's sake! I probably have a half dozen shackles and at least two dozen mismatched shackel pins in my parts box.
What have you accidentally collected over the years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Scientific calculators. I have at least a couple of dozen of them in my office. A couple of them are old enough to have red LED displays. But, the one I always bring to class/lab with me is my 25 y.o. HP15C; even though they go for $200-$300 on eBay, no student ever wants to borrow it because the art of "speaking Polish backwards" is completely lost on them.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-16-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Rolls of electrical tape have been spontaneously generating around me. They're in my house, in my boat, in my shop. I did buy two packs of three a few months ago...but I really believe they're breeding. I actually had a creepy moment with one the other day while watching tv. It appeared on the light stand, next to the chair that I usually sit in. I reached over to sip my drink and it was there.. Lord of the Rings was on the tube and I pictured the tape saying in Smeagol's voice, "Master wants more tape?"
Old 04-16-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Fenders, my god fenders everywhere!
Old 04-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Magazines on everything I have any interest in. Usually multiple versions on each topic. There was a time that I kept back issues too.

They now go to the trash once read and I'll bet there are still a couple of dozen around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-16-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
If I ever move anywhere I don't know what to do with all my old sailing magazines. I have been keeping them for reason's unknown. Every other magazine goes in the recycling bin the minute I am done with it.

Fenders and Coolie Cups seems to have a "take a penny, leave a penny" mode to it. One minute I have twenty laying around and the next minute they are all gone, and then my supply magically replenishes itself. I do keep a keen eye on my two good fenders though.
Old 04-16-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Flash lights are a good thing you can never have too many. I am a flashlight whore. well i guess you could have too many, but it would take a long time to collect 200 of em, for me at least another 3 or 4 years.
Old 04-16-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Hose clamps. I think I have 50 of them. I remove old ones that have some rust on them or are squeezing the rubber through the slots, replace with better quality, but I never throw away the old ones.

Tomorrow I'm planning on buying 2 or 3 more tomorrow before I go to the boat. There is no hope for me.
Downeaster 38 #40

Last edited by Argyle38; 04-16-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
9 Coleman lanterns, some vintage some newer, various fuels.
2 Coleman naptha tent heaters.
7 or so Coleman stoves, various types and fuels.
4 sets of golf clubs.
4 chainsaws.

I'm starting to feel like a hoarder here, so I'll stop before others think the same.

Suffice to say that I gather many things for many reasons, but they flow out of my life just as easily when someone asks if I have one, or wonders aloud where to find one.
Old 04-16-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Computers, computer parts and their respective peripherals.
In the living room, I count 2 PC's, 4 laptops, 4 UPS devices, at least 4 plastic bins and a basket filled with various USB & HDMI cables, power packs and battery chargers... Now if you look in my 'office', you'll find multiple printers and bins of RAM, network cards and internal cables. Now if we're to look inside those old computer cases... yup, they're still functional so I can't bring myself to throw them out.

oh wait, I also have about 7 Pentax film cameras in various states of distress as well as the associated terrific lenses... this is sad, because I'm a digital Nikon guy.