Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Doesn't the question that really needs to be asked is 'where do you sail?' I'm not familiar with Ottawa (or if that is where the poster sails) but if you aren't on large body of water, then a VHF radio isn't much use.

I sail on the Long Island Sound, a fairly large body of water. The US Coast Guard has a presence, and there are many marina's and other places that use VHF also. Just about all boaters have VHF radios. If all your boating is on a small lake or river, I don't think the VHF will be used. If you do boat on the great lakes, then a VHF will be useful (and in the US they are very cheap).

Good luck,
Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
It is to my understanding that if you are going outside the territorial waters of the USA and into other countries' waters. You will need a Ship's radio license and a Radio Operator's Permit. The Ship's Radio license will legalize your Radios for your vessel and your Radio Operator's permit will legalize you to operate said radios while on the vessel.
The first will give your vessel a call sign and second will give you the right to use said call sign along with your vessel's name.
You cannot take a portable radio ashore with you in any port and use it to keep in touch with your vessel... some countries it is jail time, and in a few you can get shot as a possible rebel. So don't over think yourself here. Just follow the rules. In the states it is a hefty fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 04-18-2011

weephee is on a distinguished road
VHF Radio License

I plan on sailing out of Kingston Ontario which is where Lake Ontario empties in the St Lawrence River. Point is that USA is within visual distance from Canada so I will be sailing in US waters as well as Canadian. From what I've read here, I will need a Station License if I want to venture across to the states. Not what I really wanted to hear but rules are rules. What is the annual station license fee in Canada. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-18-2011

spinwing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to spinwing
$36. I can confirm that you will need a station licence to venture into the US and a personal operators licence as pointed out above.

1988 Hunter 35 Legend
Old 04-18-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
I believe there is also a $11 issuance fee the first time it is issued. On top of the $36.

edit: See Appendix A for cost
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric42.pdf/$FILE/ric42.pdf

Last edited by JordanH; 04-18-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added link to PDF.
Old 04-19-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
VHF Radios - for the price of them, why be without one?

We are Registered in Canada (Canadian equivalent of a US Documented Vessel)
  • We have a few VHF radios on board.
  • We have our ROC-M with the DSC endorsement for the ROC-M.
  • We have registered our MMSI.
  • We have a station license for our radio because we yearly visit the USA.

Some observations:
  1. I toured the Search and Rescue headquarters for eastern Canada - I asked about things like EPIRBS, SPOT, DSC. The short answer was that their group scrambled immediately for a DSC Mayday call, but it sometimes took hours before they took off for an EPIRB "message" - their words "too many EPIRB false alarms, so far, no DSC false alarms".
  2. With a VHF call for any emergency, even on a river, there is the potential for lots of boaters to hear the call and quickly come to your aide.
  3. We have spent time each summer for the last 10+ years down in Maine. We have never been asked for our Station Licence. So, for me it is $36.00 a year to guarantee they won't ask for it. I know (Murphy's Law) that the year I don't pay the $36.00, some Coastie will ask, I won't have it and he/she and give me a fine.

I don't think I personally know a boater without a VHF???? I am sure there must be some. There are even a lot of my kayaking friends (yes, I know they are boaters too) who have them.

"Better to have a VHF radio and not need it than need it and not have it" (I think I read something like that here before, or was that about having extra beer??).

Cheers

Rik
Old 04-19-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
It is to my understanding that if you are going outside the territorial waters of the USA and into other countries' waters. You will need a Ship's radio license and a Radio Operator's Permit. The Ship's Radio license will legalize your Radios for your vessel and your Radio Operator's permit will legalize you to operate said radios while on the vessel.
The first will give your vessel a call sign and second will give you the right to use said call sign along with your vessel's name.
You cannot take a portable radio ashore with you in any port and use it to keep in touch with your vessel... some countries it is jail time, and in a few you can get shot as a possible rebel. So don't over think yourself here. Just follow the rules. In the states it is a hefty fine.
Is there any legal way to communicate to your anchored ship from your beached dingy using a handheld vhf?
Old 04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Man this radio stuff is confusing.

I have an installed SSB radio with a ship's license and I have an SSB operators license. Does the Ships license cover my VHF if I go to a foriegn country or do I need a separate VHF license?
Old 04-19-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Is there any legal way to communicate to your anchored ship from your beached dingy using a handheld vhf?
The legal way would be to put the dinghy in the water and then stand in it.
For shore-to-anchorage communication, try something simple like an GMRS/FRS radio that does not require licensing and is available everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Man this radio stuff is confusing.

I have an installed SSB radio with a ship's license and I have an SSB operators license. Does the Ships license cover my VHF if I go to a foriegn country or do I need a separate VHF license?
Hi Casey, it's not as confusing as it sounds.

In Canada, the station licence covers all of the radio devices at that station including; VHF, MF, HF (SSB), Radar, EPIRB etc.

Edit: Corrected the following statement.
In Canada, the ROC-M does cover HF (SSB) for frequencies in the maritime spectrum. However, if your HF (SSB) radio can also use frequencies outside this band then a station licence and HAM operator licence are required.

I see you're in Hawaii, so I can answer your question, but there is a second question you need to ask...
Q1. Does your ships licence cover your VHF radio in a foreign country?
A1. Yes, your ships licence will include your VHF equipment in other U.N. countries. The ships licence (station licence) will list all of the equipment I mentioned above, VHF, MF, HF (SSB), Radar, EPIRB etc.

Q2. Does your SSB operators licence permit you to use VHF frequencies in foreign countries?
A2. I don't know.... I'm not familiar with your licensing process or how it maps to the ITU.

Last edited by JordanH; 04-20-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Corrected info about SSB usage.
Old 04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
The legal way would be to put the dinghy in the water and then stand in it.
For shore-to-anchorage communication, try something simple like an GMRS/FRS radio that does not require licensing and is available everywhere.

Hi Casey, it's not as confusing as it sounds.

In Canada, the station licence covers all of the radio devices at that station including; VHF, MF, HF (SSB), Radar, EPIRB etc.

In Canada, the ROC-M does not cover SSB. For that, you will need a HAM radio license.

I see you're in Hawaii, so I can answer your question, but there is a second question you need to ask...
Q1. Does your ships licence cover your VHF radio in a foreign country?
A1. Yes, your ships licence will include your VHF equipment in other U.N. countries. The ships licence (station licence) will list all of the equipment I mentioned above, VHF, MF, HF (SSB), Radar, EPIRB etc.

Q2. Does your SSB operators licence permit you to use VHF frequencies in foreign countries?
A2. I don't know.... I'm not familiar with your licensing process or how it maps to the ITU.
Thanks for your help. In addition to the Marine SSB License, I also have a General Class Ham license- Just keeping track of all the expiration dates give me a hard time.

After figuring out what license you need, then try to figure out what channel is legal as even Canada and US have different freq allocations on VHF.