Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Thanks for your help. In addition to the Marine SSB License, I also have a General Class Ham license- Just keeping track of all the expiration dates give me a hard time.

After figuring out what license you need, then try to figure out what channel is legal as even Canada and US have different freq allocations on VHF.
Industry Canada has 'dumbed down' VHF in the maritime service so that we do not need to worry [much] about frequency allocations. All radios legally able to be used in Canada have an International / USA / Canada switch on them that automatically makes sure the proper frequencies are used in each location. The only thing left as an exercise for the operator is to consult the table (RIC-13) to find a suitable channel to use for the purpose of the communication. I suspect you have the same thing for VHF in the USA.

You bring up an interesting question though... the HAM licence is way more in-depth and more difficult to obtain; However, I'm not sure if a local or foreign licence qualifies an operator to use the Maritime (or avionics) service in Canada. I'll go look it up and let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
Industry Canada has 'dumbed down' VHF in the maritime service so that we do not need to worry [much] about frequency allocations. All radios legally able to be used in Canada have an International / USA / Canada switch on them that automatically makes sure the proper frequencies are used in each location. The only thing left as an exercise for the operator is to consult the table (RIC-13) to find a suitable channel to use for the purpose of the communication. I suspect you have the same thing for VHF in the USA.

You bring up an interesting question though... the HAM licence is way more in-depth and more difficult to obtain; However, I'm not sure if a local or foreign licence qualifies an operator to use the Maritime (or avionics) service in Canada. I'll go look it up and let you know.
Here in US Ham and Marine SSB are totally separate. It is illegal to use a ham type radio on marine bands (I have a ham radio that can transmit on all freq 1.8-30 Mghz. To use Marine SSB I have an Icom Marine radio that is legally unlocked to also transmit on Ham bands (that way I use the one boat SSB for both marine and Ham). The marine SSB license is a matter of filling out a form and paying money. The Ham license you need to take a theory test.
Old 04-19-2011

It would appear that the Canadian HAM licence does not cover marine VHF frequencies and therefore would not cover usage of the marine service. This would also apply to foreign users as well, since your HAM radio licence
A quick look at the FCC frequencies for 2M and 1.25M bands and they also do not cover the marine VHF frequencies, so your HAM licence will not suffice.

You will definitely need whatever FCC offers to cover the marine VHF bands.
Old 04-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I don't know whether Canada has the same access to a free MMSI number as the US, but be careful, as i do not believe the free US number is valid outside US waters. You have to pay to get an internationally recognized number, which I have. AFAIK, you can only program a MMSI number once, so you can't change your mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-19-2011

In Canada, we have free MMSI numbers. They are internationally designated;
Canadian MMSI's begin with 316 followed by 6 digits.
Fleet vessels have a preceding 0, so Canadian fleet vessels are 0316 followed by 5 digits.
Coast Guard vessels are preceded by 00, so Canadian CG vessels are 00316 followed by 4 digits.

My book was last revised in 2007, and it lists USA codes as 303, 338, 366, 367, 368, 369 and should follow the same convention.

As for reprogramming, that is dependent on the radio. The Icom IC-M302 allows the MMSI to be entered twice. However, I believe (I recall it being mentioned in my course years ago) that you can contact the manufacturer to have it reset.
Old 04-19-2011

vadimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: do we need it.
I would say, the bigger is the body of water, the less we need VHF.
Around here (Big NY harbour, NJ and NY coast) you kinda need it. A lot of traffic plus in some cases, opening bridges, tugs and barges with different schedules etc.
And, I believe, the state of NJ requires it. And all the local cops can give you a ticket regardless the CG requirements (towing, passengers for hire or big cargo) if their state and or city requires VHF.
Old 04-20-2011

weephee is on a distinguished road
Well I took the exam last night and passed so I now have my VHF DSC Restricted Operators License Marine. Exam consisted of 60 multiple choice questions and 3 oral questions ie. give example of a safety call and sound out the phonetics for a few words. Cost to take the 3 day course is $95. This is in Canada. My VHF radio is not DSC so I will likely be hunting around for a Class D DSC radio in the near future and will get a station license.
Thanks all for the comments
Old 04-20-2011

Congratulations weephee.
My wife is taking her exam tonight in Toronto for $75cad and with fingers crossed she'll have the same result.

We turn to Radioworld : Amateur & Ham Radio GPS Chartplotters Fishfinders VHF Marine SSB radios Shortwave Radio Scanners CB GMRS Toronto Ontario Canada for our radio needs. It's located nearby so it's easy for us, I don't know if they ship, but their prices seem to be pretty good. Their staff seem to be all HAM radio operators which means lots of good knowledge if you need to call them up. I have no affiliation with them of any kind but can recommend them as a customer.

Also, if you are a Canadian Power Squadron member, which I think you are if you just finished your ROC-M, then you get discounts on Icom equipment. Sometimes to the tune of $50+ off.
Old 04-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
In Canada, we have free MMSI numbers. They are internationally designated;.....
That just makes sense for safety sake. I'm sure some greedy bureaucrat in the US got us started down the road to paying for these.

On the other hand, we can get free chart downloads, which is also a safety issue. Just no consistency.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2011

weephee is on a distinguished road
VHF Radio License

Thanks Jordan. For a small price I can give your wife all the questions LOL I come to Toronto all the time so I'll pop in and see what they have. Good luck to your wife

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.