Could a movie on J. Slocum's Trip around the world be made? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Hmmm.. Looking forward to the next installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean".. I wonder if there is any sailing in that??
Old 04-20-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
I think it could be done. In fact, I'm talking with a friend who produces for our local theatre group about doing just that. The book has just enough humor to keep it going in a show I believe. Quotes like "the cook was no good, but they crew rarely complained.." would be great on stage. It would be a relatively simple stage production, where a little more artistic license is given to set designs.

I though each of the scenes could begin with somone just off stage tossing a bucket of rubber flying fish on his deck, as he described in the book. The natives and thumbtacks on deck would be fun too.

I agree though, in the world of Hollywood, the crash-bang-explosion movies wouldn't leave much room for a humble documentary like Capt. Slocum. Stage? maybe.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2011

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
A movie about the Slocum's whole life would make a better movie I think.

I don't know how well any movie about Slocum would sell, movies don't tend to do well unless they include lots of exploding lesbians and T&A.
Old 04-20-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Would Hollywood even be interested in making the movie if they knew Slocum was a Canadian
Old 04-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Would Hollywood even be interested in making the movie if they knew Slocum was a Canadian
Ssshhhhhhh!!! I don't think they know yet.....
Old 04-20-2011

Dfok is on a distinguished road
now you're talking - Slocum hanging with the Great White North guys in the basement - that's what movies are all about, eh?
Old 04-20-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Actually his family became Canadian, eh, when the the American Revolutionary war came on the scene. They were actually Quakers and opposed to violence and loyalists too boot so they relocated to the Maritimes from Massachusetts. Quakers don't swear, are not prone to drinking or exaggeration and hold modesty as a virtue to strive for - not exactly ideal material for a Hollywood production. You can pick up a lot of modesty in the words Slocum used to write his books. He was not a braggart.

Perhaps Charlie Sheen would be the ideal fit for the character of Slocum?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Actually his family became Canadian, eh, when the the American Revolutionary war came on the scene. They were actually Quakers and opposed to violence and loyalists too boot so they relocated to the Maritimes from Massachusetts. Quakers don't swear, are not prone to drinking or exaggeration and hold modesty as a virtue to strive for - not exactly ideal material for a Hollywood production. You can pick up a lot of modesty in the words Slocum used to write his books. He was not a braggart.

Perhaps Charlie Sheen would be the ideal fit for the character of Slocum?
Or Mel Gibson?
Old 04-21-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I can just see the trailer. You know, the narrator with the super-serious doomsday voice. It would start off slow. "One man, one boat, one impossible voyage." After some dramatic scenes in which his wife leaves him during the construction of his vessel, his head is in his hands when a flood washes away his makeshift boatyard, and his father lays dying but tells him something inspiration, we will cut to some fast-paced clips of him donning war paint and placing tacks in preparation for battle with savages, clutching some busty schoolteacher in a passionate embrace, having a shouting match with his imaginary friend, and finally ending with Spray sailing off into the sunset.

I'm excited already.
Old 04-21-2011
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
Very good Adam! Let's not forget to include the part where he guides the US Navy's battle fleet to victory in the Spanish-American War.

And we can do without the fancy computer special effects. They have fog machines y'know. Want a big wave? Do it as was done in the 1977 remake of Captains Courageous where they pumped a couple thousand gallons of water into tanks up high alongside and let 'em go all at once onto the schooner's deck with one big wooosh while she was tied to the dock in Camden, ME. You can get all the heel you want with a peak halyard made fast to a 4WD pickup ashore.

Once we get all the details worked out here we might send them on to Jeff Bridges.

Last edited by FishSticks; 04-22-2011 at 06:35 AM.