Could a movie on J. Slocum's Trip around the world be made? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-19-2011 Thread Starter

Could a movie on J. Slocum's Trip around the world be made?

They made Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea" staring Spencer Tracy.

Now I'm wondering if they could make Joshua Slocum's Single Handing around the World? Who would be the best person for that role? The Title of the movie would be?? How close would the movie boat be to the real one in details?

Well so much for day dreaming... But it is a intriquing thought though.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-19-2011
Sundance 23

I'm on about page 25 of his book and am enjoying it. Have to get back to you.

Water is Life
post #3 of 21 Old 04-19-2011

IF they can do it for Robin Lee Grahms book "the Dove" I'm sure one could do it about Slocum and Spray. Finding a Proper Spray might be an issue.......

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #4 of 21 Old 04-19-2011

I'm still disappointed in the mashup they made of Patrick O'Brien's MASTER and COMMANDER - a good film if you never read the books but nothing compared to the "real thing".
After adding a love interest, car chase, bunch of storms, giant shark, tsunami and ice berg it just wouldn't be the same.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
IF they can do it for Robin Lee Grahms book "the Dove" I'm sure one could do it about Slocum and Spray. Finding a Proper Spray might be an issue.......

marty
Most of the movies that involve sailing don't have a proper anything involved. They will probably just take a 1970's production cruiser with a lot of teak and call it good. Possibly even leave the dacron sails except when they fire up the motor to get into the harbor.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-19-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
Most of the movies that involve sailing don't have a proper anything involved. They will probably just take a 1970's production cruiser with a lot of teak and call it good. Possibly even leave the dacron sails except when they fire up the motor to get into the harbor.
Sometimes they go to extra effort:

I found it interesting that in the filming of the "Hornblower" series, they spent several weeks in total filming on a real ship (in fine weather of course!) - mainly for cut-aways, to give the cast a feel for real sailing and to get them "learning the ropes".

They did the same for "Master & Commander" - the footage showing them rounding the Horn was filmed actually rounding the real Cape Horn, but on the 'HMS Endeavour' replica instead.. which just happened to be sailing that way at the time on an around-the-world voyage and were happy to have a couple of the film crew (no cast) along for the ride.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
post #7 of 21 Old 04-20-2011
Tartan 27' owner

I'd have to agree about the Patrick O'Brian adaptation for film that the original is much better. I still like the film 'Master and Commander' though.
I hate to think what Hollywood would do to Joshua Slocum's book though. Some of you have focused on what boat they would use but I wonder who would you cast in the role of Joshua Slocum himself?
Is Harrison Ford already too old for this role?

One highlight of the plot is when he tells several South African Bishops that his arrival there means that the world is not flat as they try to persuade him it is.

Another scene would be the ghost mariners he describes doing watches with him on the Spray.

I doubt that anyone would make it.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #8 of 21 Old 04-20-2011
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

OK so what is the best adapation of a sailing related book to film ? To be fair, i'm not a great a fan of O'Brien's stuff. Loved the first one but by five or six there was a distinct feeling of deja vu creeping in. Stopped after five or six and have never gone back. The film was OK though. My favourite is still "Riddle of the Sands" but that was no great money spinner and here is where SAATW has a problem. It would be expensive to produce but not likely to be blockbuster.

As for the boat .. hardly a problem surely .. paint a steel one to look like it was timber. There are heaps of them about though not many that go without engine or gaff rigged.

Tarra

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #9 of 21 Old 04-20-2011

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
make Joshua Slocum's Single Handing around the World? .
Boring as bats poop. Look at that one man movie with Tom Hanks talking to a soccor ball on some island. Riveting...

For a drama you need drama. and selling tickets to see a dead shark, or being bounced outta a yacht club for not having the correct letter from his yacht club, just doesnt drag the payers into the cinema.

Now if Slocumb was driving one of those $5 million Aston Martins around the world shootin pirates with a Ouzi and rootin' sailorettes, then you have a chance of getting it made.

Mark
PS A wonderful book

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #10 of 21 Old 04-20-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Voyage of the Liberdade would be a better movie!

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.