Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Could a movie on J. Slocum's Trip around the world be made?

They made Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea" staring Spencer Tracy.

Now I'm wondering if they could make Joshua Slocum's Single Handing around the World? Who would be the best person for that role? The Title of the movie would be?? How close would the movie boat be to the real one in details?

Well so much for day dreaming... But it is a intriquing thought though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I'm on about page 25 of his book and am enjoying it. Have to get back to you.
Old 04-19-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
IF they can do it for Robin Lee Grahms book "the Dove" I'm sure one could do it about Slocum and Spray. Finding a Proper Spray might be an issue.......

marty
Old 04-19-2011

Dfok is on a distinguished road
I'm still disappointed in the mashup they made of Patrick O'Brien's MASTER and COMMANDER - a good film if you never read the books but nothing compared to the "real thing".
After adding a love interest, car chase, bunch of storms, giant shark, tsunami and ice berg it just wouldn't be the same.
Old 04-19-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
IF they can do it for Robin Lee Grahms book "the Dove" I'm sure one could do it about Slocum and Spray. Finding a Proper Spray might be an issue.......

marty
Most of the movies that involve sailing don't have a proper anything involved. They will probably just take a 1970's production cruiser with a lot of teak and call it good. Possibly even leave the dacron sails except when they fire up the motor to get into the harbor.
Old 04-19-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
Most of the movies that involve sailing don't have a proper anything involved. They will probably just take a 1970's production cruiser with a lot of teak and call it good. Possibly even leave the dacron sails except when they fire up the motor to get into the harbor.
Sometimes they go to extra effort:

I found it interesting that in the filming of the "Hornblower" series, they spent several weeks in total filming on a real ship (in fine weather of course!) - mainly for cut-aways, to give the cast a feel for real sailing and to get them "learning the ropes".

They did the same for "Master & Commander" - the footage showing them rounding the Horn was filmed actually rounding the real Cape Horn, but on the 'HMS Endeavour' replica instead.. which just happened to be sailing that way at the time on an around-the-world voyage and were happy to have a couple of the film crew (no cast) along for the ride.
Old 04-20-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'd have to agree about the Patrick O'Brian adaptation for film that the original is much better. I still like the film 'Master and Commander' though.
I hate to think what Hollywood would do to Joshua Slocum's book though. Some of you have focused on what boat they would use but I wonder who would you cast in the role of Joshua Slocum himself?
Is Harrison Ford already too old for this role?

One highlight of the plot is when he tells several South African Bishops that his arrival there means that the world is not flat as they try to persuade him it is.

Another scene would be the ghost mariners he describes doing watches with him on the Spray.

I doubt that anyone would make it.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-20-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
OK so what is the best adapation of a sailing related book to film ? To be fair, i'm not a great a fan of O'Brien's stuff. Loved the first one but by five or six there was a distinct feeling of deja vu creeping in. Stopped after five or six and have never gone back. The film was OK though. My favourite is still "Riddle of the Sands" but that was no great money spinner and here is where SAATW has a problem. It would be expensive to produce but not likely to be blockbuster.

As for the boat .. hardly a problem surely .. paint a steel one to look like it was timber. There are heaps of them about though not many that go without engine or gaff rigged.

Tarra

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-20-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
make Joshua Slocum's Single Handing around the World? .
Boring as bats poop. Look at that one man movie with Tom Hanks talking to a soccor ball on some island. Riveting...

For a drama you need drama. and selling tickets to see a dead shark, or being bounced outta a yacht club for not having the correct letter from his yacht club, just doesnt drag the payers into the cinema.

Now if Slocumb was driving one of those $5 million Aston Martins around the world shootin pirates with a Ouzi and rootin' sailorettes, then you have a chance of getting it made.

Mark
PS A wonderful book

Old 04-20-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Voyage of the Liberdade would be a better movie!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus