Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
iornspinnicar ,wheres there a will there is a way.....great casting both fly & lure can be had from the dinghy....an old swede i know...back when he was handlining giant bluefin tuna was having trouble with these giants getting under the boat.....bondi used a 1930 skiff 25 miles offshore to give the harpoon shot whilse holding the fish with other hand...ive seen the pics .....when i sail south i will have a 7 foot gaff ready at the lifelines .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm on a lake, but I fish from my boat all the time.

I stand on the bow and cast using a sideways flip of the wrist. I sit on the bow and drop straight down for channel cats. I sit in the cockpit and do the same. I put the rod in a holder and drag behind when I'm sailing on a long tack.

Easy.

Oh, and I have a minnow bucket tied to the ladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-21-2011

In2TheBlue is on a distinguished road
first thing I did the other day on my first sailing lesson, was ask the skipper where the lures were kept...
Old 08-07-2014

jonaskinny is on a distinguished road
Re: Fishing off of a sailboat

I am planning on getting the fastest, simplest sailboat I can to get to the fishing grounds ASAP, then use a kayak to fish off of. This should eliminate the sail rig being in the way, so long as I can secure the sailboat while fishing.

Has anyone (please don't shell me too bad if this is a stupid question) carried or towed a kayak on a hobie size cat?
Old 08-07-2014

waaarghh is on a distinguished road

I always have at least one lure going when I'm sailing. Sometimes I run a 3 line spread; a lipped plug like a Mann's Stretch, a cedar plug way back and a Billy Bait from a release clip on the boom if their are sailfish around. I heave-to when I hook up and I like to sail out to the reef, anchor up and bottom fish. Tasty!
Old 08-07-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

No sir... Just don't see it, can't do it. But that's just me.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 08-07-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I run a squid imitator on one line and a Mann's Stretch on the other. We catch a lot of cuda, bonita, king fish, some mahi and tuna. The rougher the sea conditions the bigger the fish and the harder it is to boat the damn fish!!! Hard to beat sushi that is only minutes old though.
Old 08-07-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaskinny View Post
I am planning on getting the fastest, simplest sailboat I can to get to the fishing grounds ASAP, then use a kayak to fish off of. This should eliminate the sail rig being in the way, so long as I can secure the sailboat while fishing.

Has anyone (please don't shell me too bad if this is a stupid question) carried or towed a kayak on a hobie size cat?
People do all kinds of creative things. I should think you can do it but I'm not sure it would be a lot of fun.

Is the gooseneck on the Hobie you are looking at sufficiently flexible to fold up against the mast? If not you can just take it off and lash it to the tramp. Surely you can come up with a good way to fish from the Hobie - more room for lunch and drinks, fishing gear, and your catch. More stable platform and the chance to bring along a friend.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaskinny View Post

Welcome to the group Jon!

Nothing wrong with towing the kayak. Sounds like a good solution and fun!

I have two rod holders on the stern rail and keep two poles out and ready to troll. And a third pole for casting. Lately I have been running surface popper behind at full sailing speeds and bring in on average 3 Blue fish a weekend...just sailing along. When we see that we are dragging the fish on the surface I heave to, and my girlfriend brings the fish in and claims the fish as her's! What ever makes her happy, and she likes fishing, and that makes me happy!

Of course the rods seem to attract every power boater and convince them they can cut across our stern. One needs to keep a close eye out, they come out of nowhere and fast.
Old 08-07-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

A couple of boats back, I'd troll under sail. The result was blue fish, and blue fish blood on the jib sheets. After being admonished for this I stopped.

When chartering in the Grenadines we've caught Wahoo and Tuna on 100 lb test drop lines with wire leader cleated to the stern cleats trolling plastic squid patterns. Not exactly a "sporting" setup. Usually troll 2, one short, one long. Last trip took a tuna on the short one. Mighty fine eating, and I was not admonished for bloodying up charter boat, but praised for supplying dinner

Anything required to justify a sailboat purchase is strongly encouraged.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.