Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Boat-sitter - Fort Myers Beach, FL

I am looking for hints, suggestions, or an actual contact for someone to keep an eye on my boat while I am away. The boat is located in Fort Myers Beach, FL and is a Hunter 34. I know there are services that do this type of thing but I have not been able to find them. I'm not looking for a lot; check the bildge and the lines every couple weeks and before any big storms.

Yes, I know, on the hard would be best.

Thanks!

JdFinley.com | Sailing, development, and life with JD

Last edited by Undadar; 07-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Maybe suggestions from local Towboat US or Sea tow ?
Old 04-20-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
How long away??? A dock mate might do it for a couple of weeks, or the harbormaster. There is a liability involved though. What if the guy checks the boat and accidently breaks something, (rotted deck spot, rusted lifeline, doorknob to cabin, ...). What if he checks the boat, it looks fine, and 1 hour after he checks it a hose clamp rusts through and the boat sinks? Is he negligent? Will he be sued? We had an incident here where a guy was supposed to be watching a boat, and shortly after the boat was stolen and stripped. The thief was some one the guy knew. Was he liable for the theft? He might have let slip in conversation he was watching someone else boat? The accusation was he was an accomplice, that left him with the possibility of facing criminal charges.

I've left my boat for up to a month at a time, leaving my cell number with liveaboards nearby, and the harbormaster. I've only gotten 1 call from a bilge alarm, (turned out to be a CO low battery alarm).

I've gotten back to find the bilge full of water, and the bilge pump barely keeping up, fortunately the dock didn't lose power. I close all seacocks, drain the fresh water, and shut off all power except the charger 1 battery, and the bilge pump.

Storm season I just keep a good eye on the weather, and know I need to fly home in a hurry if a hurricane looks like it will hit. I don't know anyone who will move someone else's boat during a hurricane except family. You might be able to tie up boat like you would during an estimated storm, you'll get funny looks being the only boat in the marina tied up with 32 lines, but then you'll know it will be there when you get back.
Old 04-21-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I knew a couple that kept a big sloop in Montauk, but lived in Nassau (more than 70 miles, I guess). They hired a local CG petty officer from the rescue station to keep an eye on their boat. When I was at a rescue station, we worked two days on, two off, allowing time for other work.
Old 04-21-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Based on a good reference, I've hired a small company named ASAP Marine Service (in Fort Myers). They will do exactly as requested by the owner including just about everything. Based only on my experience with them as I walked them thru/around my boat, I am optimistic.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

JdFinley.com | Sailing, development, and life with JD

Last edited by Undadar; 07-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.