SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tracking our travels

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  rockDAWG 
#1 ·
Our family has asked if there was a way to keep track of our travels. Is there a program or web site that allows us to enter time and position so that others may review our progress online? Ideally we enter date, time and position and a historical chronology is updated online. Ideas appreciated. Note: I know that sites such as Google will show present location but we're looking for something that tracks history. Thanks
Pete

#3 ·
A simple blog that you can setup for free is a good way to go. This will give you the opportunity to also describe your travels and post photos. A SPOT is nice but not necessary.

That said, I am thinking of install a SPOT HUG which will track us, allow emergency messaging(on top of the epirb and SSB) and also has systems monitoring such as high water alarm, vessel theft, vessel entry, etc.

#7 ·
Thanks. I have two comments: it seems optimized as a blog and the map feature is very limited eg, no dates or ability to zoom, pan, etc. Also, it costs to add the map feature. Basically, we're not interested in the blog part; just want a nice historical mapping capability. Any more ideas please? Note: we would be willing to pay for a site with good mapping and not the rest if necessary
Pete

#10 · (Edited)
D'oh!! NOW you tell me!

#12 ·
My website have a Google Earth map optimised by another program called TakItWithMe - TakItWithMe - Google MyMaps Converter
It is manual in that I have to update where we have been, but alo I can add comments, dates, virtually anything.

And it works like a toy where you can spin it around. :laugher

The type of detail is like this:
To the Red Sea 23rd Feb - 10th Mar 2010. Passage from Salalah, Oman straight through the Gulf of Aden, into the Red Sea and onto Port Ghalib in Egypt, non stop.
or
Kabatepe - Fishing Port - Gallipoli. Arrived 17th April 2010.We motor sailed for about 350 nautical miles from Fethieye to Kabatepe in the North. It is a lovely little local fishing port, with a quiet, quaint atmosphere. We are here for Anzac Day on the 25th April - Gallipoli.
have a look at Our Life At Sea - Map of where we are, have been, and going. and see if that kinda thing is right for you.

It really lets people follow what your cruise is up to. :) And you can just keep zooming in for greater and greater detail.

One thing thats anti-Spot or similar 'real time' location programs is that if the unit is accidently turned off, or not sending or not recieving the whole family goes into a panic and thinks youv'e sunk. It can be quite serious if dear old Mum thinks you are a gonner for a week or 2!

So filter what real time information you give to you non expert family. :)

Mark

#13 ·
I hesitate to post this, but close tracking of your location and situation may not be a good idea in some areas. There is some evidence that priates are using blogs etc. to their advantage,

Sail-World.com : Pirate researched cruising sailors blog to establish ransom

Also keep in mind that posting location etc. can also inform the wrong people where you are not, kind of like the scum who rob houses by looking at funeral times in the obituaries to find out who is not at home. In this day and age it may be best to make sure only very trusted people have access to the information.

#14 ·
Thanks. Certainly something to keep in mind. In my case, I would prefer a website that was known only to close friends and family. Perhaps a password would be helpful. To reiterate, I'm hoping to find a website that allows one to enter historical position data with date and time stamps on each entry. The map function should provide for zoom and pan. I'm not really interested in creating a blog. I might also mention that I'm not interested in creating my own website nor purchasing hardware that does it automatically although that's an interesting idea for sure. Please keep the ideas coming!
Pete

#16 ·
Since none of the referenced options did just what we wanted our 'computer science' daughter wrote an app for us. Basically, we send an email with 9 fields of simple text separated by commas (description, month, day, year, time, lat-degrees, lat-minutes, lon-degrees, and finally lon-minutes). The subject line names the track (eg, Passage Miami to Virgin Islands). A confirmation email comes back immediately with success (or list of any format errors). Family and friends can then click a link and see all positions previously entered connected by straight lines. One can zoom and pan on the map. One clicks on any position to get the description entered eg, Arrived Miami; anchor down. We use either a Bullet (when WiFi is available) or a Kindle (when cell signal is available) to send the emails. Both options provide free email capability. So far it's been working in US, Bahamas, and Turks & Caicos. Thanks for all the feedback.
Pete

#23 ·
The program is now essentially complete. Various commands issued by simple text-based emails provide for 1) adding a point, 2) deleting a point, 3) listing all points, and 4) deleting an entire track. A password is now used to access a track(s). While simple in concept, the program now does everything we need. One of the underlying criteria was to keep the emails so simple that they could be easily sent from the very primitive browser of our Kindle. The Kindle offers free internet (and hence web email) in over 100 countries. So far we have verified this in Florida, Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, and Puerto Rico. If anyone is interested, please PM me.
Pete

#17 ·
The Anchor Watch app for the Ipad/Iphone has a feature that will routinely email your coordinates to a number of addresses. Of course, you would need to be within cell range and probably stay within the US for it to work.

Truthfully, I haven't gotten the email feature to work at all yet. It will also email the alert for a dragging anchor, but I'm probably putting the settings incorrectly.

#18 ·
We used a site called Yacht Plot so that our friends could follow our recent trip across the top of AUS.
It is password Protected, you send them your position by various means & they plot it on a Google Map, you can zoom in, add notes & pictures etc.
I am new here so I cant post the link, but if you search for Yacht Plot you should find it.

#19 ·
If you are using a smart phone there are some very good apps that will track your travels, including coordinates, heading, time/date, speed, etc.

Many of them you can set to plot your position at set intervals. The only problem is that they must be running for them to work. Probably not a problem i you have a newer, multi tasking smart phone.

I'm pretty sure these are also available for the Ipad (or maybe other tablet devices).

You can also set them to email the locations

#21 ·
Thanks. Perhaps I've misunderstood but don't see how that would help. I'm interested in providing position data that friends and family can access via a web link. Also, the solution would need to work internationally which certainly limits traditional cell phones.
Pete

#22 · (Edited)
I've been reading up on the SPOT especially the ones that connect to a smart phone via Bluetooth. Apparently some of the SPOTs allow for the creation of custom messages on the fly. Can anyone using one of these describe how that works? It seems a pretty amazing device overall. Guess the only negative is the $100/year subscription fee. The big benefit, as I see it, is that it continues to function when you are offshore out of cell or WiFi range. However, for coastal cruisers there are probably other less expensive options. Comments?
Pete

#24 ·
I have the older version of SPOT without BT, the subscription was $99 per year too. I found it is well worth the cost. Letting your family knows where you are and the state you are in is priceless. Now BT capable and send custom message on the fly is a good value. Imagine just 3 AAA battery power to be able to reach the satellite is amazing. The old VHF can able to reach just within the line of site sound so absurd in today's standard.

Hope soon we can use SPOT to receive text messages. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.