Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Question Upside down barge ?

I am down in Bequia for the Heineken Easter Regatta [I know I know but somebody has to do it!

When I spotted this being towed in last night by a tug. It was left all night with no light. The question is what is it. Is it really an upside down barge. The white markings on the side seem to be depth markers and yes the number are upside down. Looks freshly painted and antifouled? too.

Anybody know anything about it?

From Hoot Mon

I tried to load the pic via the sailnet loader but had to resort to a Picasaweb link and this pic is not compressed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2011

klem is on a distinguished road
It certainly looks like a barge. There must be a story there.
Old 04-23-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Could be like many vessels it was built upside down, easier for the welders, and then move to were large heavy lift cranes could flip it up right. Some small ship yards don't always have cranes large enough to do the heavy lifting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 04-23-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I've seen bulk carrying barges whose load shifted roll over completely.. We once had a limerock delivery scow show up upside down having dumped its load into the sea... The story at the time was that it occurred in the dark and the tug crew were unaware til daylight.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-23-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I had to restrain an upside down barge adrift in NY's East River once. Strong current there. We managed it with a 41' UTB and an intrepid crew until relieved by a 140' tug. And those bastards cut my tow line too. I imagine it was flipped and cut loose by a collision, as it was near a barge mooring.
Old 04-23-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

As my boat name suggests ** Elephants Child ] I have insatiable curiosity so am off to get a closer look.
Old 04-23-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

OK my 'satiable curiosity got the better of me and I went over for a closer look.

Yup it is an inverted barge.

Although the paint, antifouling and zincs are reasonably fresh it is clear that they have been immersed for some time so the question is could a barge flip for some reason and not sink in the process?

What kind of conditions would do that? It has been pretty benign in this neck of the woods so far this year.

Would they plan to tow it inverted for some reason.

From Hoot Mon
Old 04-30-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

A bit more on the upturning of the barge from a local surveyor

The barge was loading cement from a ship in Kingston St Vincent by laying alongside and they had 3000 tons to deliver to Canouan for a hotel project. They would normally load the cements slings two high but because the weather has been very calm and the crew wanted to be home for the Easter Weekend in Bequia which is where the tug and barge call home, they decided to load the slings three high and carry all 3000 tons in one trip rather than the two it would normally take!

Well they finished loading around 2 in the morning and decided to take off. The tug was tied up alongside with its port side to the tug, the lines were cast off and the vessel pulled it away from the ship and then made a hard turn to head out to sea. The barge heeled a bit towards the tug and it just kept going until the cement slid across the barge and piled up between the tug and barge. Luckily for the barge the lines must have parted or it would have gone down to.

There is considerable damage to the topsides and superstructure of the tug.

As the barge capsized one of crew got caught up somehow and had one of his feet cut off but that was the only injury!!

Obviously all 3000 tons of cement is now lying in a pile on the bottom of Kingstown, it might even be a hazard to shipping as the bottom is not very deep there and it might have to be moved!!

I would think the captain if he was responsible is looking for another job!!

Getting the barge back upright is not going to be easy or cheap. It will have to be carefully sunk on one side only until it can be rolled over but this requires skilled divers, air compressors a calm port and someone with the knowledge to do it.

Currently the tug is alongside the barge and some sort of pumping operation is going on I think. At one point the list had disappeared but I think it is back.
Old 04-30-2011
Charter Captain

Location: Buffalo, NY (warm months), Liveaboard in Caribbean (cold months)
harryrezz is on a distinguished road
OK - Now I'm a bit concerned! Been to Bequia many times - three this season alone. I'm a close personal friend of a fellow who owns and operates a fleet of tugs out of Carriacou, Grenada. Would you please post the name of the tug involved?
Currently in Buffalo, NY, but am flying back to the islands on the 3rd.
Thanks -

Located Southern Caribbean
Old 05-01-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
OK - Now I'm a bit concerned! Been to Bequia many times - three this season alone. I'm a close personal friend of a fellow who owns and operates a fleet of tugs out of Carriacou, Grenada. Would you please post the name of the tug involved?
Currently in Buffalo, NY, but am flying back to the islands on the 3rd.
Thanks -
I am pretty sure that it is not one of the tugs operating out of Carriacou. Both tugs and barges were red when I saw them in Tyrrel bay. This one has mostly black topsides. The crew on board are not very communicative but did indicate that the were based in Bequia.

I had not realised the amount of damage to the side of the tug before.

From Hoot Mon