Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011

MaryRoseErie is on a distinguished road
Angry HOW do I keep this boat clean?

I scrub and I scrub. I scrub the deck. I bleach the deck! I scrub the cabin floor. I bleach the cabin floor!

But it just gets dirty again. Footsteps create more dirt, and then that dirt sticks. Nothing scrubs off easily! I think it's due to the no-slip surface.

The boat is going in the water May 2. Does this get easier then, since I won't be tracking mud in? Or will I have to resign myself to it NEVER being clean? It there an easier way to clean it, perhaps hosing it down?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
wax will help seal out some of the crud. Footwear with white soles helps. Are you getting an airborne mold that makes the decks turn gray?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
I just spent the afternoon, among other things, washing the deck of the boat and vacuuming the cabin. My marina is tucked into the back of a harbor surrounded by forested areas. Lots of blown pollen, plus road dust, bird droppings, along with constant wet with little sun causes a green slime to develop all over the boat. I'm afraid it is a never ending struggle for me. Maybe your area will be different.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Keeping it clean is always a problem but those "Mr Clean Magic Erasers" work very well for cleaning.

Try some "Tire shine" as a protector instead of Wax.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 04-23-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
My marina has limestone with concrete wash with the am dew foot prints on deck.marc
Old 04-23-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
You can be a jerk and not allow "land shoes" on board. It's amazing how much dirt is carried on shoes that look clean. We have a friend who doesn't allow land shoes on his boat and I'm amazed at how clean he is able to keep it. We allow shoes and get a constant amount of grime and grit.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 04-23-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Keep a heavy washable mat at the top and bottom of the boarding ladder or at the step on if afloat.
All the boats I have sailed on had rules about suitable foot ware and no one minded changing to boat shoes on arrival.
For cleaning I hose down the deck and scrub with washing up liquid, cilit bang is good for stubborn grunge, leave it overnight, and I use cif on the white finishes.
Go n-éirí an bóthar leat! Mary Rose Eire
Safe clean sailing
Old 04-23-2011

fordo is on a distinguished road
It will get better when you are in the water, especially if you are out on a mooring, away from the mud, dirt, pollen, etc. of the land. Clean shoe rules are easier to obey. On the other hand, out on the water, you will have the birds...
Old 04-23-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
I'm glad to see I've found a pursuit where everyone is as OCD about cleanliness as I am! Why are we so finnicky about our boats? Are all of your bedrooms and kitchens as clean as your boats? (mine aren't. My wife is trying to figure out how to transfer that quirk from the boat to the house!) Ain't workin'.
Old 04-23-2011

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryRoseErie View Post
I scrub and I scrub. I scrub the deck. I bleach the deck! I scrub the cabin floor. I bleach the cabin floor!

But it just gets dirty again. Footsteps create more dirt, and then that dirt sticks. Nothing scrubs off easily! I think it's due to the no-slip surface.

The boat is going in the water May 2. Does this get easier then, since I won't be tracking mud in? Or will I have to resign myself to it NEVER being clean? It there an easier way to clean it, perhaps hosing it down?
Never use regular wax on non-skid -- it becomes very slippery when wet and pollen will only make it worse. I've had great experience with a product called Woody Wax. Woody Wax is made specifically for non-skid -- it is very slick when applying until it is rinsed (part of the application process). Applied properly, "dirt, soot, bird droppings, and even fish blood will rinse right off."

For non-non-skid areas (where you won't be walking), proper detailing and wax will help to level and fill the microscopic imperfections in the surface caused by, among other things, uv damage. You need to use a system that starts with a rubbing compound and finishes with a polish and wax. Look here for Mainesail's excellent guide: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax. If you're waxing, then scrubbing with harsh chemicals, you may be removing the wax you previously applied.

If you want an easier process, you can look at PoliGlow for an older boat, but it doesn't come anywhere near the results of a true compound/polish/wax system (Mainesail's pix are truly inspiring, and are attainable with hard work).
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~