Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Crew Cats

Looking for some advice from those that have their cats aboard regularly. I'm hoping to spend a good deal more time on the boat this year and will need to bring our cat along rather than letting him stay home alone or with his pet sitter.

I searched and found some information but I none addressed the issue of dealing with a litter box on board, which is my first concern.

Secondly is how to keep the little hellion aboard. Do those of you that keep cats aboard allow them on deck or keep them below?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Sand box at the back of the rear deck. Mine were always allowed to run free one had the unnerving habit of sitting on the boom while we were sailing leading to a niw line in our tack procedure

" Lee Ho and TACK THE CAT "
Old 04-22-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
My first recommendation is one that you will most likely reject. Eject the cat overboard when a few miles out to sea... Of course, I've been trying to get rid of my wife's cat for a long time with no success.

First, I would get the cat used to as small a litter box as you can while at home. Then put the litter box out in the cockpit when you are anchored out. I don't recall when the MkII came out so I don't know if you have an open transom or not. If you do, it would be great to find a way of securing it aft on the swim step.

When at a dock, you can either try to keep the cat below (good luck) or you can put a harness on the puss. Our cat does surprisingly well on a harness. That will keep the cat from taking off and making a pest of himself on other folks boats.

Good luck.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Not funny dhays.
Old 04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Not funny dhays.
Maybe not. I do hope my comment didn't cause you too much emotional distress.

However, being a cat person, maybe you can offer some suggestions to the OP?
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
No offense taken. I'm a cat person, but my warped sense of humor still allows me to chuckle at a good cat joke. Not that Dhays' was very good. lol
Old 04-23-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I've never had a cat aboard but the Admiral has stated that we will have one aboard some day.

One thing that I have heard (and don't call me dhays!) is that you should hang a thick frayed line over the side of the boat when at dock or anchor. You also train your cat to use this to get out of the water. The way to train the cat to use the line is to drop the cat overboard near the line and encourage them to use it to get out of the water. If you do this a few times, the cat will learn it can get out of the water on its own in case of a Cat Overboard accident. Cats hate to admit it but they sometimes screw up and go overboard.

I'm not sure how well the cat will like you for this Cat Overboard and Self-recovery Training but we all must practice for emergencies so we know how to handle them.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
I'm not sure how well the cat will like you for this Cat Overboard and Self-recovery Training but we all must practice for emergencies so we know how to handle them.
While effective, that training may cause irreparable harm to the cat/human bond. Cat's have long memories.

However, I'd be more than happy to come and help with that part of the training for you. You can be the cat's hero, and I can be the evil villain, sparing you and your feline friend the relational stress and resultant therapy.
My Blog on
Old 04-23-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
With a cat in your crew you needn't worry about vermin over running your boat.
But some cats go ashore and catch a live mouse and bring it back on board and let it go. This is to show you what a great hunter she is. Catch and let go, catch and let go. My Mom's cat did this several times

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 04-23-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Okay, all you with cats on board will like this one.

How To Give A Pill To A Cat!!!

Pick cat up and cradle it in te crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cardle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat virgorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Forse mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed, force cat's mouth open with small wrench. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet mignon. Hold head vertically and pour 1/2 pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fongers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture store on way home to order new cushions and curtains.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 04-23-2011 at 09:43 AM.