Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

Jeff_H,

Lighten up...I haven''t read anything in this post that suggests that there aren''t women willing to "chuck it all" and go on a voyage.IMO,"We all serve someone." That someone can be a career, relationship, security,the love of money,etc.The only true voyagers are the ones that serve no one,whether it be a man/woman,or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2003

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Words to live by?

I see the "voyage" in a broader sense. The voyage is the way in which each of us passes through life. For some, their dream is to sail somewhere distant. For others, an exciting, successful and rewarding career is their ultimate "voyage." For others, it is to nurture others, either in a family setting, or in a religious or service-oriented setting. I don''t think we need to weep for those who took their voyage in other ways than sailing.

To suggest that their desire for security and possessions prevents people from voyaging is a gross oversimplification, and a complete misunderstanding of human motivations. I love sailing, and know it might be heresy to say so, but there are pursuits in life that are equally as noble and rewarding as a voyage at sea. Sterling Hayden strikes me as having been an excessively self-aggrandizing person.
Old 07-08-2003

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

On their deathbeds, I''m sure no one wished they''d spent more time in the office.
Old 07-08-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

There are lots of ways to go sailing and a voyage is one. I take my sailing one boat length at a time, trying to be better with every boatlength, every time out. I get so much in the "now" that I forget about money, chattels, security, etc. That to me is the holiday. It is a mental break from all that. That is why I sail and why I like my motorcycle--you have to live in the moment to do them well.
On the gender issue, it always seems that women need a home and men need to roam. The stuff of epic novels. Neither of us get our needs met all the time--which adds spice to life and brings out the resourcefulness and cunning in both genders. Also the stuff of epic novels.
Old 07-08-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Words to live by?

But a "home" means different things to different people...as does "roaming"...for me, home is truly where the heart is...and my heart is on the water...and life is the most glorious journey of all that we are roaming through.

Kokopuff...offering a little female perspective
Old 07-09-2003

jadesky is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

Another Female perspective,

I tend to be of the S.H. mindset and agree with Koko.. If it weren''t for my husbands sensibility and desire to set a solid foundation, I would have cut the mooring lines a long time ago and maybe wished I would have taken better advantage of my career momentum while I had it. As it is we are just a few months away from semi-permanent sealife. Yet will have something financial to come home to. I know and admire many landlife people who have been journeying in a similar very simple way who now in their older years are feeling the pinch of not setting up a sense of financial security. These are people who are very much anti-system types, who''ve let the universe take care of them for years.

As to the comforts of sea life, my main criteria are fresh water, a well maintained seaworthy vessel, self sufficienct systems, a patient loving partner, and zest for life and nature.

Old 07-09-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

I must go down to the sea agian!
To the lonley sea, and the sky,
and all I ask is a small ship,
and the sight of the coast to steer her by (no sextant )

So, what say you, quoters of poetry, for I have been considering it. My marina has been shut down, and my rates are to double if I can find a place at all before the 3 weeks I have to be gone.

My boat is 19 feet, and I''ve yet but done some day sailing (going out for a single handed overnighter tonight) and if I sell my bike, and everything I have, I will be debt free, but have only very very little in savings.

Do I cast off, and hope for the best?
Do I leave these shores, and this mediocre job and home for the challenges of the sea?
or do I wait longer, till I can afford a more comfortable boat, have money for provisions, and time to sever that larger boat from the bank?

What would you do? What have you done? Why? and how''s it affected you?

-- James
Old 07-09-2003

sadie14 is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

We once quit our awful jobs, sold our old beater of a car, got in our boat and went to the Bahamas. What a trip! Learned a lot. Came back with less than $500 between us and nothing to sell.

Changed our lives completely, and have NEVER EVER regretted it.
Old 07-09-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

Two tales.

Tale #1: I once had a fully found 30'' boat, wife and small child. Raced to Bermuda. Could have bought groceries and "headed south". But did not. Instead headed home, resumed career, had two more kids. 25 years later, last kid in college, again considering "Heading South". This time on a well-found 43'' vessel, with a paid-for house to come back to, and retirement income for life.

Tale #2: Good friend and wife actually did "Head South" on a similarly-sized boat, with little money, early in their lives. They had to come back after a couple years for lack of funds. Now 25 years later, they talk of this as the "First Adventure" and are trying to get together the funds for a "Second Adventure".

Who did the best? Which was the right answer? Not obvious. I missed the joy of that "First Adventure", but now have a firmer foundation for long term cruising. But in the meantime, we could easily have been prevented from ever cruising by health or whatever. Their First Adventure has loomed large in their memories ever since and formed a life goal--to return.

Ya pays your money...........

Personally, I would go.
Old 07-10-2003

waltzingmatilda is on a distinguished road
Words to live by?

Sadie14,
In reply to your earlier post on this thread about what my wife thinks of this, I''m sorry to respond so late, but I''ve been busy out sailing. Had several great days of fine (though wet) weather, great winds, wonderful crew (two of my daughters and their friends), and my fine little boat (Cape Dory 26). Unfortunately, sailing is not one of the activities that my wife is enamored of. I love my wife of over 25 years dearly, and owe whatever I am to her. But, sailing is my hobby and whatever small part she plays in it is just one of her "wifely duties". So, when I am ready to follow my "pipe-dream" of sailing off to some grand place, down the St. Lawrence to Newfoundland, for example, I am sure she will join me for a small segment of the trip, but most of it I will be left to complete by myself or with other crew. But, that''s OK, I have always maintained that married couples should, on occasion, take separate vacations, and this will be one of those. She does allow me to have my "pipe-dreams" and for many of us that may be as good as it gets. The unfortunate ones, in my humble opinion, are those who have no dreams to even try to follow. And, who knows, I may one day get to actually live out one of my dreams.
Sadie14, from what you''ve written it sounds as though you and your husband have discovered a way to live your dreams that works for you. I salute both of you for that and wish you great dreams forever.
Fair winds to all on the board!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.